PDA

View Full Version : BoostButton Flash Modules

ShelGame
01-16-2012, 01:47 PM
I have put the BoostButton SMEC and SBEC flash modules up in the catalog for ordering. Previously, I had only offered them pre-installed into computers. Only because the install is a bit more tricky than a relatively simple socket+chip. But, these are now available for the brave DIY types.

I linked to the exsisting MerkurBoys wiki on the SMEC install and I'm working on updating that and making an install procedure for the SBEC's. I also have SBECII-specific flash modules in the works.

The SMEC flash module install procedure is here (http://www.merkurboys.com/wiki/index.php/SMEC:FlashInstall), until I can get it put into a PDF with my own pictures...

RoadWarrior222
01-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Doesn't look that bad, I'd say if you're contemplating soldering to your SMEC/SBEC AT ALL, you should have the skillset necessary to do this...

Price offers decent savings too.

One thing though, is there an option to have a stock (or any) cal pre-flashed? ... I'm thinking it would make troubleshooting, and getting the vehicle running easier... as there's a number of things to "dumb thumb" in the hardware, interfacing and software, at least you know if the car fires up, you got it soldered down good.

ShelGame
01-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Doesn't look that bad, I'd say if you're contemplating soldering to your SMEC/SBEC AT ALL, you should have the skillset necessary to do this...

Price offers decent savings too.

One thing though, is there an option to have a stock (or any) cal pre-flashed? ... I'm thinking it would make troubleshooting, and getting the vehicle running easier... as there's a number of things to "dumb thumb" in the hardware, interfacing and software, at least you know if the car fires up, you got it soldered down good.

The problem is, there's no way to pop one of these into a programmer (like a Willem or Burn2) and flash a cal to it. It uses a 28F256 chip and the pinout is altered slightly so that it works in place of the 27C256 that we use. A standard burner won't know what to do with it. So, it could only be done in-cicuit in a SMEC or SBEC. For the SBEC, I guess I could setup a spare on my bench just for flashing. But, the SMEC is a little trickier to do that with.

The other possibility is a socket for the chip itself (before I put it in the module) that will fit into a Willem/Burn2. But, then that makes pre-assembling the modules impossible. I'll have to look into it...

RoadWarrior222
01-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Ahhh. Well don't invest too much time into it on my account, I was thinking after I posted, I'd probably pick up a spare SMEC to do it anyway, so would be able to plug the other back in if I had problems I couldn't chase down in a couple of hours.

inmyshadow
02-03-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm a brave soul. I'd like to see the instructions on SBEC flash module. It helps that my computer is already socketed. I'd like to see what holes you are referring be drilling out.

later
james

ShelGame
02-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I need to work up the install instructions for the SBEC. I got pictures of it on the last one I converted. Just need to write it up...

ShelGame
02-20-2012, 05:59 PM
SBECII specific flash module boards are in now. I still need to build one up and take a pic for the webstore...