PDA

View Full Version : SMEC 2.5 ATX 3-bar 40+ - modified from turbonator

turbo84voyager
01-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Attached is my latest 2.5 cal. The cal has good driveability and fuel economy ( normal driving) and also makes good power. I am running this on a 89 caravan 2.5 intercooled, lightly ported head, header, 46 trim T3/T4 3bar, 40+. I am running between 8 - 10 degrees of base timing. For some reason I was able to get the tune better starting with this timing. I would recommend starting with this timing and then advancing if needed but watch CEL. I do not get any CEL knock at up to 18 psi. I have not run this cal above this. There is NO BOOST CONTROL set so you need to either set it or use a manual controller like I do. I have only run this on premium fuel and would not recommend trying anything less since it does have more agressive timing. You may need to adjust the start AIS position. I adjusted this down so it did not rev when starting it cold. Mine starts fine but another engine may immediately stall if you dont lightly depress the throttle when starting. Idle A/F ratio is approx 15.5, cruise is 14.7, WOT is in the 12.0 to high 10's ( a little rich but safe) as boost rises. You can lean it out if needed.

Enjoy

Justin

ShelGame
01-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Which revision of T-SMEC is this based on?

turbo84voyager
01-13-2012, 10:11 AM
I dont remember off hand. I will look through my notes this evening and try to figure it out.

Force Fed Mopar
01-13-2012, 01:32 PM
How long have you been running this cal? I have a "tried and true cal" database started over on BM, would like to add yours to it if you have run it long enough to have proven it.

Also, what head are you running? And when you say base timing, are you setting it by turning the distributor or did you set it to that in the cal? (Doing it in the cal is the proper way, for anyone wondering) 1-piece or 2-piece intake? What cam?

turbo84voyager
01-13-2012, 02:48 PM
I have been running this cal for over a year with just minor adjustments. Its for a swirl cal. with a 1 piece and stock roller cam. I have a g head cal I modified from Matt ( Moparzrule) That was by far the best 2.5 g-head cal I ran for a daily driver, but then again I would never build another 2.5 g-head. What I mean by base timing is distributor timing. For some reason I had better results starting with 8 to 10 degrees over 12. I had the same experience with the g-cal. The only adjustment that may need to be made to my cal is the starting AIS. Mine starts fine, it just does not rev up like most of them do. I like the slower start but thats me. I have tried cals on other engines where they might act a little different. This is not a dyno tuned cal, its been set up on the street but I do have an egt and wideband.