PDA

View Full Version : how should i make my knock sensor?

Sundance 6g72
01-08-2012, 01:16 AM
so i was reading turboshad's build (2.4 shadow) and saw how well he liked his knock sensor and decided i should make one too

so 3.0 turbo and whats wrong? NO FACTORY knock sensor. only the Mitsubishi cars (diamante only?) got the knock sensor.

so how should i go about this? im clueless and would like to know if my motor is knocking without me knowing it

cordes
01-08-2012, 02:09 AM
so i was reading turboshad's build (2.4 shadow) and saw how well he liked his knock sensor and decided i should make one too

so 3.0 turbo and whats wrong? NO FACTORY knock sensor. only the Mitsubishi cars (diamante only?) got the knock sensor.

so how should i go about this? im clueless and would like to know if my motor is knocking without me knowing it

I would first start by doing a little reading about how they work. I would seach for all of aries turbo's posts about the subject since he is highly informed on the subject.

One thing I've gleaned from his posts is that the frequency of the knock is dependent mainly on the bore diameter. Thus, you'll need to pick an existing sensor which was designed for a vehicle with a bore dia very closely approximating your own.

From there it'll be a doozy for you to turn that signal into something useful without a ton of work. The ear phones which DJ used would be a good way to get around that for tuning purposes.

Sundance 6g72
01-08-2012, 02:10 AM
hmm okay so a 3000gt knock sensor would be a no brainer. same block

ill look into those posts too

thanks

cordes
01-08-2012, 02:15 AM
hmm okay so a 3000gt knock sensor would be a no brainer. same block

ill look into those posts too

thanks

No problem. I think Brian has also posted up that the LM knock sensor business to make a useful out put is on google patents.