PDA

View Full Version : Which BOV (spend my money for me)

Bossman429
01-02-2006, 11:25 PM
I'm in the market for a BOV, I was originally considering a Turbo XS RFL, but have heard that they leak, and I really want something I can setup without having to shim, I think some of them out there are adjustable externally.

Turbo XS RFL - Cheapest available, prone to leaking from what I have heard. $150

ATP RS Modular BOV - haven't heard much about them, but haven't heard anything bad either. They also appear to be temporarily unavailable from ATP. $200

Greddy Type RS - Have heard good things about it, but it doesn't come with an adapter, sooooo...... $200 for the valve + $35 for an adapter, this one seems like the pricyest of the bunch. Something about having to buy a separate adapter rubs me the wrong way $235

Tial 50mm - haven't heard anything bad about it, anyone have experience with them? They seem nice, and come with multiple colors available. I am actually leaning towards this one. $225

cordes
01-02-2006, 11:28 PM
I have read from several guys on here that the turbo XS RFL will hold boost without the shims in it to over 20PSI provided there is a good manifold vac source used. I got one off of ebay for $50 shipped. Don't forget that some of those valves might not come with a flange. The XS does.

GLHNSLHT2
01-02-2006, 11:50 PM
none of them :)

Murphy
01-03-2006, 12:00 AM
1g talon modded?

BadAssPerformance
01-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Good pole! I've been thinking about the TIAL as I've heard goos things about it and it is cheaper than the Turbonetics Godzilla Valve I really want.

Bossman429
01-03-2006, 01:02 AM
1g talon modded?
No 1G DSM valves allowed, I was looking for something aftermarket. I had 2 DSM valves, and sold them both because I was too lazy to hack up the pipe to get the flange off.

JuXsA
01-03-2006, 02:21 AM
I bet you could find some one who is selling a talon bov that has already got the flange cut off.... besides that it would only take a few minutes to get that sucker off of there. Thats what I am using. I need to read up on modding it so it will hold boost past 20psi

Holley
01-03-2006, 02:31 PM
I got a Type-H for a darn sight less than $150! ($80 brand new on ebay) While its not the best engineered, its fine for the moderate setup I'll be running, and nice n' loud to boot :)

slasky
01-03-2006, 02:33 PM
I have a fake RFL on mine that works great. I think I paid $60 on ebay for it.

BadAssPerformance
01-03-2006, 02:50 PM
I have a fake RFL on mine that works great. I think I paid $60 on ebay for it.

How much boost do you run with it?

inmyshadow
01-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Well you could have done a google search on dsm flange.

You could have bought a flange here:

http://www.diamondstarmotorsport.com/diyparts.shtml

No 1G DSM valves allowed, I was looking for something aftermarket. I had 2 DSM valves, and sold them both because I was too lazy to hack up the pipe to get the flange off.

8valves
01-03-2006, 05:16 PM
I run a TiAL, we run a TiAL on my brother's car, and nearly all of our high-boost DSM and turbo V8 friends run them. They have the largest valve (or one of by now, someone has probably tried to out-do them) and are of the highest quality. They will not leak, it takes me two thumbs and some SERIOUS effort to open the valve by hand. 95% of the forced induction cars in the NDRA run one, or two of them in extreme cases.

Warning though, due to their reliabity at high boost from the valve stiffness they will cause light surging under 5 psi or so. In big turbo worlds you tend to not get into these part throttle boost conditions that much so it's less of a problem than small turbo cars.

Aaron Miller

My96z
01-03-2006, 09:02 PM
HKS SSQV. I've had mine to 25 PSI.

cordes
01-03-2006, 09:51 PM
HKS SSQV. I've had mine to 25 PSI.

I have run one up to 22PSI, and had no problems also. Thier design pretty much eliminates the problem of leakage.

Murphy
01-03-2006, 10:07 PM
I bet you could find some one who is selling a talon bov that has already got the flange cut off.... besides that it would only take a few minutes to get that sucker off of there. Thats what I am using. I need to read up on modding it so it will hold boost past 20psi

http://thedodgegarage.com/turbo_bov_mod.html

Turbo Joe
01-03-2006, 11:08 PM
greddy type R, oh 5-6 yrs old still going strong...

Force Fed Mopar
01-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Hks Ssqv

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2006, 03:51 AM
When I put my Tial on, if you want, I can sell you a modded Talon 1g and the flange on a pipe, ;)

Bardo
01-04-2006, 04:26 AM
i had a rfl knock off. i talked to some people that had the rfl said that it leaked over 20 psi but the knock off doesnt. i think i payed 60 for it off of ebay and at 75mph if you were beside me you would hear it blow. makeing everyone that was raceing me in there civic want to :faint:

Marcus86GLHS
01-04-2006, 06:57 AM
DAVID i was in your same situation a couple years ago and i got a lot of great suggestions from the threads i visited. One thing that hasnt been mentioned yet is appearence and mounting location.

You should first decide where you want your bov mouted, and then look at the overall physical packaging of each unit because some are more suited to cramped areas than others. All bovs are somewhat ugly but theres a few that have a better engineered appearance so selecting a bov is somewhat a personal choice.

I went with a Turbo XS Type H because it is very well made, looks cool (billet design) and fits into the smallest areas (i have an omni so very little room), and i mounted it close to the compressor outlet (got that idea from those 2,000 hp NOPI race cars).

good luck you're getting a lot of good ideas here.

psi chick
01-04-2006, 10:49 AM
i would suggest the greddy or the tial.

turbo xs bov's are pos's. i've heard the "it doesn't leak!" thing from i can't even count how many people, only to have them say 6 months later that it's leaking. it's a hit or miss with those things, some work fine others crap out. you'll know in the first 6 months though, and to me it's not worth spending the money on a bov that you can't be sure is going to function properly. and something about sticking washers into a bov to allow it to function just doesn't seem right.

i had a greddy type s and switched to a rs about a year ago. the rs is a very nice bov, doesn't leak, isn't obnoxiously loud (don't know if you want that), and isn't that expensive. i got mine for $110 shipped, and it fit on the same flange as the s so i didn't need to change it.

the tial is a very nice unit. great design and it will hold boost. the hks is also a great piece once you get past the dying bird sound.

one company that you didn't mention was turbosmart. they make some great bov's, aren't really all that expensive, and have the loudest bov on the market (that's important to some, not sure if it is to you!)

slasky
01-04-2006, 11:21 AM
How much boost do you run with it?

22-23 psi so far

Bossman429
01-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Thanks for all the recs guys (and girls?)!
I'm now thinking really deadset on the Tial unit. I have heard enough good things to make that decision.
I like the price of the RFL, but when spending that much money, I'd just as well spend an extra $75 and get a BOV that IMO looks cooler, and may be more reliable.

I will be mounting the BOV in place of the straight through section of the air box and running a K&N cone filter off of the intake hose.

Simon, thanks for the offer, but I think I've made my decision.

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2006, 05:46 PM
No problem David, we can compare notes on the Tial, :eyebrows:

psi chick
01-04-2006, 06:18 PM
good choice! no rfl :amen: