PDA

View Full Version : stuck plug

1bad89
01-01-2012, 09:48 AM
While doing a tune-up yesterday ive discovered my #2 plug is either cross-threaded or seized in the head.:mad:

Any ideas on getting this thing out without breaking it ?? Its my DD so i cant deal with it breaking off and me being without the car to pull the head.

raccoon
01-01-2012, 10:52 AM
I cant imagine you breaking it off like a bolt or stud. if the threads are toast they have inserts you can install without removing the head. how would you cross thread a plug anyhow? impact install?

shadow88
01-01-2012, 10:58 AM
If it's cross threaded, you're buggered anyway because you won't get a new one in and probably remove the head anyway.

So let's assume, it's just rusted and tight. You could leave it alone until you have the time to deal with the potential problems.

If you insist on changing the plug now and risking it, You could let it soak in penetrating oil overnight, remove the plug when it's hot so the aluminum head is slightly larger.

Also, it helps to use an impact gun. Seriously. I have no idea why it helps, but it works.

RattFink
01-01-2012, 01:06 PM
We have spark plugs blow out on our vans at work all the time. 6.8 V10 Ford. I have had good luck with installing the repair inserts without taking the head off. It probably wouldn't even take long as the plugs on our cars are very easily accessible. I doubt it's cross threaded, it's probably just been in there through a lot of heat cycles and is stuck in. Taking it out while it's hot or with an impact gun probably won't make a difference on if the threads will be saved. I would say the best bet would be to soak it in penetrating oil overnight, leave yourself the next day free and have the repair insert and tools at the ready for the worst case scenario. Or just leave that plug in if you are worried or don't feel comfortable attempting the repair.

AZTurbo
01-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Don't break the ceramic..

Run the engine, let it get warm/hot then spray some penetrating oil (kroil, PB blaster, etc) and let it sit. I would spritz it every morning on your way to work, and every day when you get back. Do that for a week, then try again...

Next time, use some anti-seize.

trannybuster
01-01-2012, 03:33 PM
If it's cross threaded, you're buggered anyway because you won't get a new one in and probably remove the head anyway.

So let's assume, it's just rusted and tight. You could leave it alone until you have the time to deal with the potential problems.

If you insist on changing the plug now and risking it, You could let it soak in penetrating oil overnight, remove the plug when it's hot so the aluminum head is slightly larger.

Also, it helps to use an impact gun. Seriously. I have no idea why it helps, but it works.

Because the impact puts a straight load on the plug, a socket and ratchet see's alot of leverage action.

1bad89
01-01-2012, 04:54 PM
I didnt cross thread it, i just bought the car a few days ago and found it like that.

luckily i got it out !! i used PB and heated the engine a couple times and kept working it back and forth. thanks guys !!

AZTurbo
01-01-2012, 05:15 PM
use some anti-seize on the new plugs! Doesn't take much, but makes a world of difference the next time you go to change plugs.

black86glhs
01-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Make sure you keep the anti-seize away from the tip. It will cause a misfire condition.

1bad89
01-02-2012, 12:16 AM
i finally got it out, i put antiseize on the new plugs, thanks for everyones help.