PDA

View Full Version : Brake help

slasky
12-26-2011, 01:18 PM
I picked up a 2000 cavalier that needed a fuel pump. Turns out it had a leaky brake line in the right rear too. So after I replaced some lines, the wheel cylinder and brake hose, that wheel seems kind of grabby after the car sits for a few days. It grabs enough to kick in the abs. If I turn off the car and then restart it the problem goes away.
Could it be air in the ABS?

bakes
12-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Or you rear brake shoes are to far out of adjustment

slasky
12-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Or you rear brake shoes are to far out of adjustment

that's what I thought but the problem goes away after a short period of time.

ColtonAndrew
12-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Did you turn your rotars before the new brakes? Take the car to a shop like o'riliys or ace and ask them to run a diagnostic on your cars computer. its normally free if not no more than $10. It will tell you whats wrong where and you can deceide where to go from there.

Good luck! :D

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Im betting on the rotars, sounds like a corner is gripping the drum or disk, then it heats up and the corner stuck on the wheel becomes more lubricated. With stopping over the years, it rotates the rotars in the direction of the stopping force. The old pads get worn down more from where the rotar is grabbing the disk or drum in the rotation of the wheel. For a basic image, the rotars and drum start by looking like this '=' and end up looking like this on a slightly dramatic scale '<'. I know O'riliys here turns rotars for $8 per 1 they rotate, there typically being 8 on a car.

black86glhs
12-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Scott, Adjust the shoes so they just barely grab the drum when rotated. This is a common GM drum brake issue. It will go away after a short period. This is how I knew my wife's Beretta needed the rear brakes serviced.

turbovanmanČ
12-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Depends on what brand of lining, some are brutal for making noise and grabbing, try GM or Raybesto's PG's.

slasky
12-26-2011, 03:52 PM
The previous owner did the brakes and I am not sure if it had the problem before I did the line. I will try adjusting them a little and see what happens.

ColtonAndrew
12-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Keep us updated, im about to throw rear brakes on mine and Im not the best mechanic in the world hahaha

Orangetona
12-26-2011, 10:19 PM
My grand am does the same thing, but the wheel cylinder works only on one side. So I need to replace that, im assuming thats whats wrong with mine. But yeah the shoe adjustment is pretty critical.

Big_P
12-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Scott, he probably just threw shoes in there and never cut the drums. Cut 'em and readjust and you'll be good to go.

slasky
12-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Scott, he probably just threw shoes in there and never cut the drums. Cut 'em and readjust and you'll be good to go.
He put new drums on too.

slasky
12-29-2011, 08:02 PM
I did have the brakes adjusted properly but I backed that one side way off and it seems to be fine now.