PDA

View Full Version : Rust treating

Una
01-02-2006, 10:40 PM
So I finally pulled the soaked carpet out of my '83 SC last Friday. Left a heater in the car with it parked indoors over the weekend to let it all dry out. Nice and dry now. Floorboards were very rust colored. Drivers side had a couple pinholes, front and rear. So I picked up a quart of POR-15, damn that stuff is expensive! And went ahead and painted it all up. I'm going to put some fiberglass down over the holes tomorrow, to keep water from splashing up into the car in the future, and to give the floor some structure so it doesn't get stepped through (it's REAL thin in back).. Gotta track down the leak that lets all the water in, then I'll throw down some dynamat sound deadening and put in some JCWhitney carpet.. :)

Subliminal
01-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Just FYI, if you're using the silver POR15 (which you probably should, since it's by far the thickest/strongest), it will work as resin for fiberglass. They even sell fiberglass on their site.

Might be worth a shot.

Una
01-03-2006, 07:18 PM
haha.. Rock on, good info! I'll use that, saves me having to buy resin from the shop I work at.. ;) Still got half a quart of the POR-15 left.. :)
On a side note, I found the car's build sheet when I pulled the carpet. Unfortunately it was 99% gone, mostly just a ghostly outline.. Bummer! Would have loved to have had the original build sheet intact..

bobr19
01-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Una--believe since you have carpet out you must have frt. and back seats out too---Take the car and have someone run a garden hose over it while you're inside watching--problem areas can be hatch seal--will run down shock mount, under seat and into back floors--up frt. can be door seals, moon roof if you have, rusted thru at lower edge of windshield under trim, also the body panel seals around the hood hinges and make sure the cover is on the fresh air vent next to wiper motor--if these leak they will dribble down the inner firewall under dash---I'm sure there are other places but thats a start while car is being wet down --bobr19

Una
01-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the tips.. I ended up just going with fiberglass resin.. Got tons of glass and resin on the floor, should be as good as new now. ;) I put duck tape under the floor (stuck to the bottom of the floor) to keep the resin inside the car while it cures.. ;) haha.. ;)

Clay
01-11-2006, 04:39 PM
yeah, you need to figure out where the water is coming from. Even with pin holes in the floor, I would bet dollars to donuts its not coming up from underneath. Being that its an L-body, I would be its probalby the front windshield leaking.

87glhs232
01-11-2006, 05:37 PM
yeah, you need to figure out where the water is coming from. Even with pin holes in the floor, I would bet dollars to donuts its not coming up from underneath. Being that its an L-body, I would be its probalby the front windshield leaking.
What about when you pull the rear carpet back and find the rear floor a spare well area moist? Is there a common area in the rear?

Clay
01-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Hmmm, that would make me think hatch seal, or sunroof seal (if it has one). Nothing in the back to really leak besides that, unless your spare tire well is rusted out.

clay

87glhs232
01-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Hmmm, that would make me think hatch seal, or sunroof seal (if it has one). Nothing in the back to really leak besides that, unless your spare tire well is rusted out.

clay
Nope, no rust. It could be vigorous rinsing when I'm washing it. Sunroof has a good seal. Rear hatch seal looks good other than a 3/8 gap in the middle lower (above license plate) where the seal starts and ends. There is a smaller rubber hose glued into the two halves of the seal to bridge the gap. Oh well, it never rains in Southen California anyhow.

LeGweg
01-11-2006, 08:25 PM
What about when you pull the rear carpet back and find the rear floor a spare well area moist? Is there a common area in the rear?

Can be a crack in the boby/structure panels's seam sealer around the hatch area (my Daytona had that problem) or hatch window leaking or even a leak around the rear spoiler bolts.

Bad seal between the taillights and back panel can also cause this.

Tony Hanna
01-13-2006, 01:54 AM
Another common problem area at least on G bodies is the rear wiper assembly. I've seen two so far that had the gasket around the back glass where the wiper shaft comes through completely missing. I'm not sure if any others use the same style setup, but if they do, it'd be worth looking at.

LeGweg
01-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Another common problem area at least on G bodies is the rear wiper assembly. I've seen two so far that had the gasket around the back glass where the wiper shaft comes through completely missing.

Yup. My Daytona was leaking there too.

Una
01-13-2006, 11:51 PM
They still sell that rear wiper gasket at the dealer.. ;)