PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever actually FIXED a '90 Daytona Shelby driver's door panel armrest?

DC Turismo
07-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Seeing as these things are always broken, does anyone have good advice on how to fix them once and for all? On mine, in particular, the plastic that the leather wraps around on the skinnier part of the armrest is cracked. I am thinking epoxy or some type of construction glue/rubber cement may be able to be applied to hold its original form, but I have yet to test it out. What have you done in the past to solve this problem?

Lee'sdaytona
08-04-2006, 06:46 AM
....swap in an 87-89 daytona interrior...looks much better IMO anyway...but I'm sure thats a major PITA, since you would have to swap over the inside door lock and handle....plus any window components that aren't compatable....Hopefully someone has had luck fixing them.
-Lee

Whorse
08-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Epoxy can be very brittle, and being an armrest, you'll want something with a bit more give to it. Superglue (Cyanoacrylate) is also very brittle. I had to fix them on my 87 and I took it right off, pressed a piece of plywood with some RTV in, and screwed from underneath inside the door panel into the wood.

Reaper1
08-06-2006, 07:24 PM
My idea to fix it was to use a peice of balsa wood, encapsulate it with fiberglass, then cover it with the padding/covering material of choice. Then you can screw it to the door panel from underneath(once it's off the door).