PDA

View Full Version : stealth sohc intake, how to do it

Sundance 6g72
12-09-2011, 05:25 PM
i went out and looked at my stealth intake and decided i want to use it.. but how

my main concern is the coolant going to the heatercore.. could i just run a longer hose to the t stat area? the t stat area has 3 outputs for lack of a better word, for coolant. one for bypass, one for heater and then one extra. But this might be crappy due to coolant being cooler due to it not going through the motor first? i dont need blazing hot heat though. another thing is i like my coolant gauge in the cluster... i would rather not go after market for the gauge and i dont want to have to run a screen for my megasquirt to display data 100% of the time.. i guess its not a big deal.

2nd, i know mopar3.0 ran this intake.. he mentions pics on his facebook but i requested him a long time ago and he never got me pics or accepted my friend request. :mad:

as far as fitment, i think he mentioned having to grind away at the t stat housing but nothing more than that..?

The intake looks to flow better than ours and i might try and get a custom plenum built and pair it with the biggest tb i can find.

lastly, alternator relocation. ITs been done before (move it in place of the AC) so i hope to also do it.

as far as why im doing this, my lower intake i use currently has a snapped bolt for the t stat.. i have a ghetto fix from when i tapped the hole but its a one time fix and i think my t stat might actually be bad.. so instead of getting a new lower intake i figured id try and get my stealth one to work. it would make the engine bay look much better

shadow88
12-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Is this the intake manifold that covers the rear rocker cover? Got a pic?

Sundance 6g72
12-09-2011, 05:46 PM
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/390627_10150512597838899_534573898_10414191_196401 0241_a.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/387708_10150512600178899_534573898_10414208_164415 6119_n.jpg

http://hphotos-iad1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/390921_10150512602903899_534573898_10414229_867259 405_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/390655_10150512647583899_534573898_10414301_155094 5017_n.jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/384681_10150512648888899_534573898_10414305_427575 602_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/388243_10150512649633899_534573898_10414306_716434 863_n.jpg

Murphy
12-09-2011, 05:52 PM
would it be possible to make it go over the front VC? seems like that might be easier so you wouldnt have to relocate your alt.

shadow88
12-09-2011, 06:00 PM
I can see a long runner = low end torque advantage of this intake, but if you plan to make a do it yourself plenum, why not modify the factory sundance manifold?

I bet you'll trade off some upper rpm power with those runners, but that was the original design for the porky stealths that manifold was used in. Is there another benefit to this intake I'm not aware of in stock form?

c2xejk
12-09-2011, 07:04 PM
As I recall, Mopar3.0 had to weld the thermostat area to get it to fit.

turbovanmanČ
12-09-2011, 08:11 PM
I agree, modify the thermsotat housing and run it with the throttle body up front, if possible.

Why would you want to use it though? 3.0L's have lots of bottom end torque, this will make it more so.

Sundance 6g72
12-09-2011, 08:54 PM
It wouldnt be for the tq. Ill explain when im out of work

Sundance 6g72
12-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Okay, the reason for the swap is because my current lower intake is messed up (stripped bolt, another broken and poorly tapped )

Id like to have the alt. Relocated and having the throttle body over the rear valve cover will hid some wiring and vac lines. Cleaner engine bay. The clt will be easily accessable as well, unlike right now.

Im not worried about making power but if i was, i dont like the idea of twin intakes with the turbo either so that throws out stock intake

shadow88
12-10-2011, 05:20 PM
I would have to guess a scrap yard intake would be an easy fix for the fastener issue.

I'm not sure where the alternator gets relocated to. Do you adapt existing brakets from other models, or is a complete do over with fabricated parts? I never found the alternator to be difficult to access on the domestic market 3L, but maybe it gets easier with the relocation? Do you change it that often?

I'm not sure what twin intakes the stock manifold uses and how that adapts to turbo applications. I DO like Ondontis custom upper plenum and I would take that approach if I was looking for more power.

If you're after a tidy engine bay, that seems to be a personal preference and varies with desire and skill level.

87turbodance
12-10-2011, 05:42 PM
From memory Kirk (mopar3.0) had to do a lot of grinding to the thermostat area and then fix it with some welding. Then he had to mess around with the heater and rad hoses. He also had the runners shortened and custom plenum welded on.

I believe the Stealth intake has a better flowing lower intake compared to the chrysler lower intake.

I can't seem to find any pictures of his intake on his facebook.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Found this:
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v231/171/33/673415292/n673415292_2824250_6370.jpg

Sundance 6g72
12-10-2011, 06:06 PM
welding and cutting are no big deal to me. I like the idea of the stealth intake so i want to roll with it. thanks for the picture

I would have to guess a scrap yard intake would be an easy fix for the fastener issue.

I'm not sure where the alternator gets relocated to. Do you adapt existing brakets from other models, or is a complete do over with fabricated parts? I never found the alternator to be difficult to access on the domestic market 3L, but maybe it gets easier with the relocation? Do you change it that often?

I'm not sure what twin intakes the stock manifold uses and how that adapts to turbo applications. I DO like Ondontis custom upper plenum and I would take that approach if I was looking for more power.

If you're after a tidy engine bay, that seems to be a personal preference and varies with desire and skill level.

getting a second stock intake meens spending money that i dont want to spend.. i already have the stealth intake and i like it

the alt. would be in place of the ac compressor.. not sure how to do it yet. i know a guy who did it and hes going to get me pictures

brents intake uses a diamante lower intake i think.. those arnt around here so i cant make one like that (well i could use the stealth lower to do something similar.

Irocelectric93
12-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Brent's uses a Montero Lower. He took part of the uppper and used it as well. Montero lower manis are hard to come by from what i've observed. Before i went twin intake i was going that route. Not too sure why you don't like twin intakes w/turbo though. Not saying not to go this route. One cool advantage to this route is fancy fuel rails. If i hadn't gone twin intakes or if i decided to keep my twin intake for my other daytona then ill probably do something like this for my turbo motor.

Ondonti
12-10-2011, 09:29 PM
I agree that the reason for a mitsu intake would be fancy fuel rails.

Chrysler intake really ain't bad except the fuel rails. I don't think that the rails will ever have a HP capacity problem, especially parallel rails. The feed rails can be modded a bit to improve them even more if you are crazy. I did that since I am using chopped up chrysler rails on the montero lower. I would like to go back to standard rails in the future on that manifold or just stop using it.

Chrysler intake is a nice intake and probably easier to chop up for various types of custom manifolds as long as you don't need to move the fuel rail. Chrysler also has a straighter shot into the intake port. I would like to install custom runners on chrysler intake but I think that would ruin your fuel rail setup :(

I would rather get another OEM lower and just keep using that. Leave intake manifolds as side projects, not things you need to get working right away.

Sundance 6g72
12-10-2011, 11:34 PM
well thats just it, i dont need this car until after break (jan ish) so i mine as well do it now. Im not even certain that there is a problem right now with the lower (bad t stat that i cant replace.. might not be bad!)

i should be more concerned about my oil leak :P

Irocelectric93
12-11-2011, 12:14 AM
I agree that the reason for a mitsu intake would be fancy fuel rails.

Chrysler intake really ain't bad except the fuel rails. I don't think that the rails will ever have a HP capacity problem, especially parallel rails. The feed rails can be modded a bit to improve them even more if you are crazy. I did that since I am using chopped up chrysler rails on the montero lower. I would like to go back to standard rails in the future on that manifold or just stop using it.

Chrysler intake is a nice intake and probably easier to chop up for various types of custom manifolds as long as you don't need to move the fuel rail. Chrysler also has a straighter shot into the intake port. I would like to install custom runners on chrysler intake but I think that would ruin your fuel rail setup :(

I would rather get another OEM lower and just keep using that. Leave intake manifolds as side projects, not things you need to get working right away.Mod the Rails? Did i miss this in all the time i've been around? I have a total of like...4 chrysler lower intakes. Two are junk now from me "experimenting" with them. One i might still keep and do something I've wanted to do for a while. We'll see i if i have the time and cash. I've been in a jam for a while because I went twin intake and I had a rear turbo mani made for this reason...now im not so sure about the rear manifold and would probably rather have a crossover but thats not really doable (intercooler plumbing etc) cuz i would rather keep my A/c and not relocate my Alternator...it gets hot in the STL. Sundance- If you don't need the car and have access to weld aluminum then go for it. Gotta warn you that welding that cast aluminum kinda sucks though. When i shortened my runners on my chrysler intake parts of the aluminum flowed fine and i could pull a bead but on the front/top of the runners i couldnt so much...even with cleaning the aluminum and stuff.

Sundance 6g72
12-11-2011, 12:25 AM
i have access to all sorts of aluminum, mild steel, stainless ect along with an AC tig setup with a bunch of different filler rods (for aluminum, stainless, mild steel, etc)

but i would have to do that this week.. tomorrow im going go draw it up in cad and then ill bring it to the shop and get it built and see how that goes. just because i build it dosnt meen i have to USE it

my main question is about the size of the plenum.. is the rule of thumb to get it to hold 1.5L ? does it matter if its a little smaller? what about to big?

Ondonti
12-11-2011, 07:26 AM
More then 3 liters total capacity if its a single. I went a bit excessively large.

My Montero has a chopped up chrysler non parallel rail fuel setup. Its not awesome but its true parallel at this point. I only did this because my lower came with no fuel rails and I wouldn't have had the money to figure things out back then so I just had to do it for free with junk and existing injectors. Its the reason Mike Mulhern made me a custom 1" spacer for a Montero lower. Saved my butt. I had not thought through fitment of the rails 100% and made a mistake.

Sundance 6g72
12-11-2011, 12:32 PM
hmm well im not worried about the rails as of now, ill probebly use the stealth rails with my current fuel pressure regulator.

maybe im just not thinking, but i dont know how to get dimensions to fit 3L into..

ill figure it out

paduster
12-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Well i would just try it figure it out for yourself. If u wanna get this to work by all means. try I think there are better ways you can do it but if this is what u wanna do plz share how u get it done just encase someone else wants to do it.

c2xejk
12-11-2011, 01:34 PM
As the plenum get's bigger hp increases, but throttle response get's laggier. On my Shadow with over 5L of plenum, I haven't noticed any lagginess.

I would go with as big of a plenum as you can fit. It also makes the junction between the runners and plenum easier to form...

Ondonti
12-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Seen some poor plenums with huge charge robbing potential. Mitsu v6 intakes are super easy to build wrong because the runners are so close. You put the walls close and you just made a terrible manifold. That said, even the worse manifolds can make huge power.

Sundance 6g72
12-11-2011, 11:35 PM
i dont plan on messing with the runners.. might shorten them though. Should they be flush with the plenum or protrude into it a tad bit?

87turbodance
12-11-2011, 11:40 PM
i dont plan on messing with the runners.. might shorten them though. Should they be flush with the plenum or protrude into it a tad bit?

My understanding is that your want the runners to protrude into the plenum a bit with small velocity stacks if they will fit. I've seen a large bead of weld used around each runner entrance that is then grinded into a small velocity stack.

Sundance 6g72
12-11-2011, 11:46 PM
hmm might have to wait till after break to do this now. Damn.. o well gives me more time to plan on how to actually build it

any idea HOW far to protrude them?

i might just try and get it installed first and then make my design and have it build then.. i would just need to use my 3000gt throttle body.. no big deal.

87turbodance
12-12-2011, 12:11 AM
This is the ideal. Easier said then done

http://hemrickperformance.com/images/Junplenum2.jpg

87turbodance
12-12-2011, 12:23 AM
You can buy pre-made velocity stacks but they are pricey - usually over $30 each.

Ondonti
12-12-2011, 04:11 PM
And you would have to hope that they are the perfect size. Our runners are too close together unless you splay them in in different directions which I have considered. I don't think its worth it. Stacks will end up making your runners longer btw. Sticking out into the plenum does not help anything either. You can always build taper into your runners before they connect to the plenum. Lots of work either way.

Sundance 6g72
12-21-2011, 12:27 PM
so i grabbed a diemante lower.. i think its identical to the stealth lower. I still want to use it but im getting the itch to make a short runner intake like brent's

is it worth it to wait for a monetero or raider to show up at the yard? i might have to look harder to find them. the ones i found ALL had the motors pulled :(

my t stat seems to be working now. it was either megasqurt goofing up or the t stat liked 150 degrees. now its 190 when warmed up so i have time. LOL

Ondonti
12-21-2011, 05:09 PM
I don't know. I have seen a lot of 3.0 12v monteros in my time. I ordered mine from car-part.com long before I ever actually looked for one. I would have rather pulled my own so I could have the rails etc etc.

I don't know if montero rails line up with other 3.0 rails so that is a possible reason to not like it. I am using a weird custom rail setup which I suggest nobody uses since its incredibly ghetto. I actually filled and then reprofiled the injector bosses years ago because I didn't know the injector donuts were missing. It gets worse from there. I have a bunch of rails and I can't rememver if they fit. The rails were from diamantes.

Sundance 6g72
12-21-2011, 05:15 PM
the stealth rails look identical to the diamante rails. i wish i could find a 12valve truck and be done with it.

does the montero lower have a spot for the heater core on the driver side of the engine bay? thats my main hangup. i guess i could get it to work from the driveside considering it has a spot for it. im all for the stealth intake but i need to figure out how much material to remove bla bla bla. i might bring it to the local junkyard for test fit before i install it on my car. that would be a good way to go about it.

Irocelectric93
12-23-2011, 06:01 PM
wait and find a montero. You'll end up in the same boat as me if you don't. Now im stuck trying to figure out what i want to do with my super nice plenums and chrysler lower manifold....