PDA

View Full Version : SRT-4 interference

banger68
12-06-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm doing some reading up trying to decide on whether to start collecting for a T3 or 2.4 swap.

I've heard when using a SRT-4 motor and A568 there is interference trying to mount the starter? But not with the Stratus 2.4?
The stock SRT-4 intake hits the tranny?

I'm planning to keep the car streetable with air and power steering so I may have fit problems with the exhaust/turbo aswell.

I know the T3 would solve all this but they are pretty rare up here in Ontario.

Mopar318
12-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Starter bolts to the trans, not the block. The blocks are the same externally.

turbovanmanČ
12-06-2011, 05:10 PM
You should have no issues in keeping power steering etc, just look at the SRT cars.

To keep the 568, you need to add an ear to the front as it doesn't line up correctly, "turboshad" show's how to do it in his build log.

I think your right on the intake but that's easily fixed with some cutting and welding or a custom intake.

banger68
12-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Starter bolts to the trans, not the block. The blocks are the same externally.

Yes ... I know that. I saw a write up that the starter hit a emboss rib on the block for an oil galley or something similar. They were grinding away the block and starter. Never heard of this problem before.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

You should have no issues in keeping power steering etc, just look at the SRT cars.

To keep the 568, you need to add an ear to the front as it doesn't line up correctly, "turboshad" show's how to do it in his build log.

I think your right on the intake but that's easily fixed with some cutting and welding or a custom intake.

Yes, I followed his build. I have a set of mounts made up to account for this. Originally thinking of sticking with stock intake and turbofold.

Mopar318
12-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Yes ... I know that. I saw a write up that the starter hit a emboss rib on the block for an oil galley or something similar. They were grinding away the block and starter. Never heard of this problem before.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Yes, I followed his build. I have a set of mounts made up to account for this. Originally thinking of sticking with stock intake and turbofold.

The Turbo blocks do have oil and coolant in/outs in the back of the block along with standoffs for the equal length axle bearing. That may be the problem since the starter will be in the back with your trans.

banger68
12-06-2011, 06:05 PM
The Turbo blocks do have oil and coolant in/outs in the back of the block along with standoffs for the equal length axle bearing. That may be the problem since the starter will be in the back with your trans.

That's what I thought/heard. But there were a series of pictures of them grinding the block and starter to get them to fit. I'll post it if I find it again. I think it was on the "other" site.

banger68
12-06-2011, 06:27 PM
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f48/196537-2-4-turbo-swap-old-school-2.html

banger68
12-06-2011, 07:50 PM
And another

http://voice.htmlplanet.com/srtomnistartermod.htm

turbovanmanČ
12-06-2011, 07:51 PM
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f48/196537-2-4-turbo-swap-old-school-2.html

Could he use the biggest starter Dodge made? :banghead:

I bet a the ND one would clear with less grinding.

banger68
12-07-2011, 11:05 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/knowledge.php?title=Drivetrain:How-to-get-your-520-555-523-568-transmission-to-work-with-the-SRT4-engine

It's an oil passage in the newer blocks. Anybody know what year this started?

I've been told the TB flange makes contact with the A568 case using the SRT intake..

Mopar318
12-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Have you considered using a neon trans? The T350 has held up well for me, and many others. The HD version is supposed to be twice as strong on the gear sets and input shaft.

banger68
12-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Have you considered using a neon trans? The T350 has held up well for me, and many others. The HD version is supposed to be twice as strong on the gear sets and input shaft.

I have thought about it. I have the A568 already but that doesn't mean I can't sell it. How is it strengthwise compared to the A568? What LSD's are avaivalble for it?

I'm leaning towards an older 2.4 with the A568 right now, but still open minded. Alot of reading out there.

rbryant
12-07-2011, 09:21 PM

DOH, after he did all of that he still needed a new starter and was left with a plugged passage!

I wish he had checked our KC articles rather than relying on turbododge as is only source of information...

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/knowledge.php?title=Drivetrain:How-to-get-your-520-555-523-568-transmission-to-work-with-the-SRT4-engine

It's an oil passage in the newer blocks. Anybody know what year this started?

I've been told the TB flange makes contact with the A568 case using the SRT intake..

'03 blocks as stated in the KC article. :)

I think it was the same year that they started with the turbo engines.

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

I have thought about it. I have the A568 already but that doesn't mean I can't sell it. How is it strengthwise compared to the A568? What LSD's are avaivalble for it?

I'm leaning towards an older 2.4 with the A568 right now, but still open minded. Alot of reading out there.

The 568 is much stronger than the T350.

The T350 uses the same differential as the 520/523 which has OBX and Quaife LSDs available. If you build a hybrid 568 you can also use that same differential.

The T850 is actually not any better than the 568 either because it has synchcro issues, weighs something like 190lbs and you would also have to adapt the older car to use a hydraulic clutch.

-Rich

banger68
12-07-2011, 09:27 PM
'03 blocks as stated in the KC article. :)

DOH ... lol

tnx

stitus
12-08-2011, 12:04 AM
I'll add that the stock SRT intake DOES NOT hit the 568. The turbofold clears my firewall as well with 1/4" to spare. However, my swap is in a daytona, so I can't say whether or not the turbofold would clear the firewall without modification in something else. I will also add that there are a number of small details I just plain and simply couldn't find in the build threads. Great info for the major stuff, but lots of minor details are in other random threads that you can spend a lot of time searching for... like how to hook up the SRT 2 wire IAC to the Daytona 4 wire plug and have it work, or how to properly re-route the coolant and oil lines without worrying about whether or not the turbo is getting enough oil/coolant. As well as how to make the oil return tube work around the starter ( I shortened it, heated it up, and bent it, and used the stock hose) And not to mention the fact that it took me over a week to realize that SRT injectors were high impedance, and my computer couldn't run them, and had to plug in some TD +40's :P Took me a yr to finish mine (mainly due to the expenses of a DUI) however, I JUST finished fine tuning mine 2 days ago, and it is COMPLETELY worth it! Not including the car, 568, LSD, that I already had the cost of the swap INCLUDING a 75k mile SRT motor was around 2k... Though I gotta say the help from a couple friends, the vendors here, and this entire community was priceless! If you have any questions feel free to ask!

rbryant
12-08-2011, 04:14 PM
I'll add that the stock SRT intake DOES NOT hit the 568. The turbofold clears my firewall as well with 1/4" to spare. However, my swap is in a daytona, so I can't say whether or not the turbofold would clear the firewall without modification in something else. I will also add that there are a number of small details I just plain and simply couldn't find in the build threads. Great info for the major stuff, but lots of minor details are in other random threads that you can spend a lot of time searching for... like how to hook up the SRT 2 wire IAC to the Daytona 4 wire plug and have it work, or how to properly re-route the coolant and oil lines without worrying about whether or not the turbo is getting enough oil/coolant. As well as how to make the oil return tube work around the starter ( I shortened it, heated it up, and bent it, and used the stock hose) And not to mention the fact that it took me over a week to realize that SRT injectors were high impedance, and my computer couldn't run them, and had to plug in some TD +40's :P Took me a yr to finish mine (mainly due to the expenses of a DUI) however, I JUST finished fine tuning mine 2 days ago, and it is COMPLETELY worth it! Not including the car, 568, LSD, that I already had the cost of the swap INCLUDING a 75k mile SRT motor was around 2k... Though I gotta say the help from a couple friends, the vendors here, and this entire community was priceless! If you have any questions feel free to ask!

I am pretty sure that high impedance injectors should have worked...

The low impedance injectors will burn out your injector drivers if your system isn't designed for it but the high impedance injectors should work with the larger injector drivers.

-Rich

banger68
12-08-2011, 06:14 PM
I'll add that the stock SRT intake DOES NOT hit the 568. The turbofold clears my firewall as well with 1/4" to spare.

Could you get a couple pics? Did you modify the starter like Rich did? Did you make your own mounts? What accessory setup did you use? I'm working on a 86 Daytona so it will apply directly.

There are always a bunch of "small details" to make a swap like this work. I'm not to worried about those. You just work through them.

tnx

banger68
12-08-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm actually more worried about building up this MSII. Had it on the bench since the summer and stopped until I decided on the motor and setup. Finishing that and setting it up has me a little worried.