PDA

View Full Version : Which power steering pump will work?

Dave
07-26-2006, 12:19 AM
My p/s pump took a crap on me a few weeks ago. I have a replacement from a '91 TBI Shadow. Will it work alright?

Thanks guys.
-Bryan

iTurbo
07-26-2006, 01:07 AM
As long as it's the same style pump, it should bolt right in. If you are going from the 'ham can' Saginaw pump to the smaller ZF pump (or vice-versa), you'll need the brackets, tensioner and belt to go with it.

turbovanmanČ
07-31-2006, 02:09 AM
As long as it's the same style pump, it should bolt right in. If you are going from the 'ham can' Saginaw pump to the smaller ZF pump (or vice-versa), you'll need the brackets, tensioner and belt to go with it.

And the hose, the ZF pump uses a banjo type fitting at the pump, the older one screws in.

TopDollar69
07-31-2006, 06:55 AM
Some of the ZF pumps also have a screw in pressure line. The screw in ZF line is still different from the Saginaw one though.

turbovanmanČ
07-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Some of the ZF pumps also have a screw in pressure line. The screw in ZF line is still different from the Saginaw one though.

Thanks for the info, all I have ever seen is the banjo fitting.

rbryant
07-31-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the info, all I have ever seen is the banjo fitting.

I have a ZF with a screw in on my Charger. I had a hell of a time finding the right high pressure hose. I believe that I had to tell them it was an 88 shadow (at pepboys) before it matched. I had them pull about 4 different hoses before we found the right one. I should have written it down...

Note that there are a couple of different flow rates in the pumps aswell. I know a shelby charger has a different pump for the quick ratio steering. I believe it is just the fitting that is different though. I enlarged the hole on my ZF pump's high pressure side to simulate that so hopefully it will work correctly when things get back together.

-Rich