PDA

View Full Version : im fairly confident my oil leak is only after i go into boost

Sundance 6g72
12-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Replaced my crank seal and cam seal. let the car idle for a while, no dripping. go for a small drive out of boost, no dripping. go for a slightly longer drive with no boost = no dripping

go for a short drive and hit boost twice (less than 8psi) and once i check for leaks its just like before, oil on fkin everything :mad:

the crank and rear cam seal looked just fine and dandy when i replaced them so im 99% sure they wernt the problem. Maybe someone will have this issue in the future so i decided to make a thread for it

any ideas?

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/242174-oil-leak-after-boosting-racing-car.html

almost identical problem

his solution dosnt make sense for my problem though. Also, i reved higher when in boost naturally.. when i was just driving out of boost i never got on it.. so its either boost dependent or rpm dependent..

Force Fed Mopar
12-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Sounds like the crankcase isn't venting properly.

Sundance 6g72
12-01-2011, 01:29 PM
i hope.. i have a catch can that i can get ahold of. Anyway i can test that theory?

my pcv stuff is stock EXCEPT the rear valve cover has a hose going to a coke bottle *(did this last night to see if any oil would collect, however, i have non)

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

oil does collect on one of the exhaust manifold studs.. i was under the impression that our bolts and studs dont go into any oil valleys , is this correct?

Force Fed Mopar
12-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Use a boost leak checker to pressurize the intake maybe? Or plug the PCV and push air pressure into the crank case from the rear valve cover nipple, just enough to pressurize the crankcase. Probably won't push any oil out not running, but you maybe hear air leaking from where the oil goes out.

Sundance 6g72
12-01-2011, 01:43 PM
how could i be getting to much pressure in the crank case if the rear valve cover is vented to the atmosphere? I dont understand pcv to begin with...

Force Fed Mopar
12-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Dunno, unless that tube is stopped up. The problem is, you did head gaskets, and added the turbo, at the same time. So, hard to figure out whether it's something you put back together wrong? or something to do with the turbo. Maybe it only leaks at higher revs, regardless of boost. Have you tried running the revs up w/o boosting it yet?

Sundance 6g72
12-01-2011, 02:15 PM
i did turbo before headgaskets.. idk if i had oil dripping because i had coolant all over due to the reserve filling up way to fast and spewing all over.. never noticed oil but i bet it was there

did head gaskets, fixed coolant problem, noticed oil problem

i could rev it up without boost, keep the wastegate open and run open throttle body. ill try that once all the oil dripps off

bond_bbs
12-01-2011, 02:17 PM
PCV is a flow system from rear head to front head. The front is usually attached to a vacuum source -- the PCV valve itself is screwed into the lower intake, and on the NA motor would always give some kind of vacuum. The rear valve cover is generally fed from the intake so it gets clean fresh air. If you have the rear valve cover open air (or with a filter on it) that's fine, but if the PCV valve itself is screwed up the lower intake could be forcing your compressed intake charge into the front valve cover.

You can run a hose from your front VC to the pre-turbo air intake (between the filter and turbo) with the catch can in between. That'll give you the vacuum from the turbo suction, and the catch can will prevent much if any oil vapors from going through the compressor and into the motor.

Sundance 6g72
12-01-2011, 02:23 PM
for a quick test, could i just undo the hose going from the front valve cover to the pcv?

the pcv should make a rattle noise right? if it dosnt, its broken (sounds wrong but i remember this being the case)

i would think a turbo car would need a different type of pcv valve or something. i lose alot of oil though, not the normal amount you would find in your catch can every once and a while

Force Fed Mopar
12-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Your PCV could be leaking air past it, common with the 4-cyls, not sure about the V6 ones.

Sundance 6g72
12-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Its prolly the same part number. It has almost 98x miles on it

Sundance 6g72
12-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Drove with no boost, i dont think its rpm depebdent. Its not leaming like it normaly does.. usualy it drips like mad. This time it had no drips and i reved it up pretty good

87turbodance
12-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Disconnect the PCV and plug the intake side. Leave the valve cover vents open to atmosphere for testing. You'll get some oil blowing out the valve cover vents but hopefully the big oil leak stops. That's how I'd test it.

It does sound like your crank case is being pressurized.

Sundance 6g72
12-01-2011, 05:58 PM
i ran the rear valve cover to a coke bottle and the front to the intake BEFORE the turbo (between filter and turbo) and oil leak seemed less drastic BUT of course another leak started up

http://www.youtube.com/user/firefoxx04?feature=mhee#p/u/0/IFMHFbJoXVs

c2xejk
12-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Is that leak from the distributor adapter?

paduster
12-01-2011, 07:23 PM
It almost looks like it is coming out the side of the block. Best bet is to follow that trail of oil shooting out to where it is shooting from.

Sundance 6g72
12-01-2011, 07:49 PM
It looks to be from the dizzy adapter butttt its coming from under that. The deck of the block is dirty but does not apear to be runny with oil

paduster
12-01-2011, 08:56 PM
They way it is coming out it must be pressurized so i would just follow it with your finger till you find where it is coming out at

Was following u on the other site and then I found out all the people I hold in high respect to the 3 liter moved here so now I moved too lol

Sundance 6g72
12-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Haha yeah i tend to post here more. Ill check it later... Ima first make sure.the.pcv "bypasd" is worming out

Sorry for apelling on phone

Ondonti
12-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Well catching that on video gives this some reality at least. I hate chasing phantoms.

I don't know why there would be pressurized oil there. The head feed is in one spot around one of the head bolts but I can't remember where.

Does anyone know if the distributor adapter O ring is replaceable/available?

paduster
12-02-2011, 07:20 AM
I am sure it is replaceable but I don't know if it is avalable. I would just take it to the local hardware store and match it up with the o rings they have. But i don't think the is pressure there I think it is splash lubed that looks like q pressure leak

Ondonti
12-02-2011, 07:34 AM
I know its not pressurized but i was just wondering on a side note. They are not exactly Round O rings though. They are like a cylinder, flat sides.

Head oil feed is the only place I can think of. The block would go from the mains feed galley to the head. I believe some manuals have the flowpath. Its different in each style of 6g72 block.

Sundance 6g72
12-02-2011, 11:57 AM
the oils not pressurized, thats my lovely fan blowing on it.. wish i told you guys this earlier HEHEHEH

paduster
12-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks for making me look stupid lol

And now i am with ondonti on it being that o ring or in that area .
T
And i stand by that a regular o ring will work I used it on a motor before there i just got as fat of one I could get that way it had to crush it down it worked got hasnt leaked yet that I know of. Just if u do it get I like to use fresh oil to get it in the hole without ripping it.

Sundance 6g72
12-02-2011, 01:46 PM
the manual shows the oring being between the dizzy adapter and the head.. im assuming around the cam. i prolly damaged it.. but why does it start to leak AFTER i "fix" the other leak... lol whatever

you dont look stupid, it does look pressurized! But i know it was the fan doing it

bond_bbs
12-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Just a note though - your catch can for PCV should be between the front VC and the intake. That way, raw oil won't be getting into the compressor side of your turbo / into your charged air.

paduster
12-02-2011, 02:31 PM
If u are getting blow by it would be pressurized in the crank case if there is a big enough leak and make it easy for the pressure to escape (path of least resistance) it might just find another path after u fix it. But u won't know till u fix this one if it happens again it might be time for so rings. I could be wrong though i never did a turbo yet although I would love a stock size turbo style thing for the conv. But that ain't for while lol.

Sundance 6g72
12-02-2011, 03:04 PM
bonbbbs, yep thats the whole idea. right now its just the VC going straight to the turbo.. no catch can so i do get the oil in the intake. hopefully i have that catch can today.

now that im deff not pressurizing the crankcase, i dont see why oil would leak from the dizzy housing. it looked good when i had the cam gear off.. so if it is leaking, it must be that oring

can i get to it without pulling the timing belt off and taking off the cam gears?

reason being, i have the cams retarded half a tooth. im just doing a test to see if i can get it to be more top end happy.. not really expecting much and i probably hurt more than i helped but its worth a shot. next time i tear it down ill probably set them to stock

paduster
12-02-2011, 03:21 PM
U will have to take the belt off the cam gear then the housing will need to slip off to put the o ring on

Sundance 6g72
12-02-2011, 03:48 PM
awesome... ill look into it when i can then

Ondonti
12-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Hah so you made it more laggy too! I posted in your main thread that I had thought before its a puddle shaking off but I guess the shaking is the fan....Remember, oil leaks faster when super hot (thins out).

Sundance 6g72
12-02-2011, 04:50 PM
my turbo due to the cams? yeah its a little laggier maybe. i cant really tell much. 2nd gear starts to rip the tires apart at 45mph still

yeah ill be keeping an eye on the oil level. my friend with the catch can is on his way :nod: