PDA

View Full Version : AC Compressors Manufacturers/Rebuilders

Turbozcs2003
11-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Hey

I have an 89 shadow with early style AC compressor. I currently have a mopar reman unit on it. It is about 6 years old with about 90K miles on the compressor, 285K on the car :)

anyhow the AC is dead and I want to get it working for the defroster for the winter. Compressor is dead, major leak at the seal.

I will have to price another Mopar reman(looking at Chrysler parts direct, they are about 200$. Not sure if I can still get one.

My other option is a "Factory Air" reman from advance auto with new clutch. With discount code looking at 160$ part # 57100

Now Rock Auto has a "Four Seasons" Reman for 234$ uses same 57100 part # hmm?
DiscountACparts.com has a Factory OEM new for 335$ # 60-01302-NC

Autozone has a new "Compressor works" compressor with clutch # 618100 for 239$

Autozone has a Reman Everco for 199 same 57100 part #

So has anyone used any of these, if so what has been your experience?

Is there just one rebuilder and everyone reboxes, even use the same 57100 part #?

I am also going to call NAPA and see what they have?

Last year I put hoses, h-valve and drier on it, looks like I will be into to it for another drier and compressor.

any feedback would be apreciated!

Mike

Lee'sdaytona
11-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but don't you use the heat for Defrosting in the winter? And if you do indeed need cold air for defrosting, wouldn't you just use the vent in the winter?

black86glhs
11-29-2011, 01:23 AM
The A/C is used to remove the moisture from the air before it is blown across the windshield. It then picks up more moisture quicker from the inside of the windshield, clearing it faster.

Turbozcs2003
11-29-2011, 09:48 AM
The compressor engages when you have the control on defrost and it makes a big difference in cleaning up the windhshield on cold day.

Hence my desire to repair this, plus if I dirve in the summer it is nice to have working AC.

So anyone have feedback on compressors?

I think I am going to buy a new unit.

Lee'sdaytona
11-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Huh. never knew that. I'm now interested, because just last summer, I fixed my A/C for the summer time. So, when you put the defroster on, you have the blend air door on heat right? And the evaporator core just dries out the air?
-Lee

Turbozcs2003
11-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Yes

if your bored and your compressor work, start her up and put the contol on defrost and watch the compressor clutch kick on and off even with the temp on hot, that removes the moisture in the car.

I ordered a compressor works new compressor from autozone and new filter drier.

dodgeman87
11-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Also, having the compressor come on during defrost mode helps keep the seals more pliable.

amx364
11-30-2011, 11:08 PM
You can live without the A/C compressor for defrost and heat. Next spring when it gets hot, then fix A/C. I used to disconnect my compressor every fall and plug back in late spring.

Turbozcs2003
12-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Why disconnect it? Having it operate on defrost in the winter keeps the seals in better shape. Plus have defrost which works is better.