PDA

View Full Version : Did '89 Lebaron GTC's have Charge Air Temp sensors?

Force Fed Mopar
11-27-2011, 11:20 AM
I can't seem to find a plug in the harness that fits it.

GLHNSLHT2
11-27-2011, 11:22 AM
2.2 T2 ones did. It should be in the harness for a 2.5 as well. The plug shape changed one year. Not sure when but a Suckthrough charge temp sensor wouldn't fit the plug in my 87 T2 harness.

Force Fed Mopar
11-27-2011, 12:01 PM
It is a T2 car, it's an '89 GTC. But I don't see a plug anywhere for the sensor. Also, there is this plug, that fits the knock sensor plug, but has 2 wires?

GLHNSLHT2
11-27-2011, 12:20 PM
the 2 wired plug should be your CTS.

Force Fed Mopar
11-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Well then where is my knock sensor plug? And why doesn't it fit my charge temp sensor? Something is odd with this car.

Force Fed Mopar
11-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Anybody have the '89 J-body wiring diagrams? Or even just the Turbo II engine control diagram?

Lotashelbys
11-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Your car must not have the correct 89 TII injector harness. I remember the 89 TII having a different injector harness that uses the one wire of the two wire knock plug for the charge temp feed and the other going to the knock. Easy to modify if thats the problem.

Force Fed Mopar
11-28-2011, 06:23 PM
You have a picture of said harness? Or know how to fix it?

Force Fed Mopar
11-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Bump...

cordes
11-29-2011, 07:18 PM
As others have stated it definitely should have the charge temp sensor. While you may have the wrong plug it's also highly probable that someone has installed a charge temp sensor which is not the correct one for the vehicle. I think I have received CTS units which did not have the proper connector shape in them a couple of times now.

If you really, really need a pic of what the stock one looks like I can supply that, but I'll have to crawl into my 2.5 car garage which has 4 cars + everything else in it right now.

Force Fed Mopar
11-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Well how many different plugs are there for the charge temp sensor? If indeed the plug I have is for the knock sensor and the charge temp sensor, where is the sensor ground wire? Can I find a pigtail that fits the sensor and run the signal wire to the connector and ground the sensor ground to the intake? Or hook it into the rest of the sensor grounds?

I guess it's possible that someone installed the wrong harness in the car, I think it had a front end collision at one time. I have looked all over, and the only other loose plug is over by the solenoids on the pass inner fender and can't reach anywhere near the intake. There is no lone one wire knock sensor plug.

cordes
11-29-2011, 09:48 PM
I wish I had the 89' diagrams to confirm that you've got the right plug and wrong CTS. Does anyone know if the plug on the 90' CTS is the same as the 89'? I do know that not all CTSs are going to give you the correct output so if you have the wrong one changing the plug on the harness won't help.

Force Fed Mopar
11-30-2011, 12:47 AM
I do know that not all CTSs are going to give you the correct output so if you have the wrong one changing the plug on the harness won't help.

Really? Rob L. said he'd never seen one that had a different output.

cordes
11-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Really? Rob L. said he'd never seen one that had a different output.

That could be. I'm basing it off of some comments which 5digits made at the SDAC18 tech sessions. He stated that there are some out here which won't work properly unless I'm sorely mistaken. I'm not sure that it means that the vast majority won't work, but he did state you need to make sure you get one which reads out in the proper range.

Force Fed Mopar
12-01-2011, 10:18 PM
An 88 G-body should have the same engine wiring, right? Or at least have the same pinout at the SMEC?

Force Fed Mopar
12-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Your car must not have the correct 89 TII injector harness. I remember the 89 TII having a different injector harness that uses the one wire of the two wire knock plug for the charge temp feed and the other going to the knock. Easy to modify if thats the problem.

Give this man a cookie :thumb: Just looked up the 88-89 TII SMEC pinout on MiniMopar, the wire colors listed there for the charge temp and knock sensors correspond exactly to the wire colors in the plug I have. So, you hit the nail on the head with that one, I have the wrong harness. I could add a wire to this knock sensor plug, but what should I do w/ the sensor ground? Tie it into the rest of the sensor grounds I'm assuming.

cordes
12-02-2011, 01:12 AM
Give this man a cookie :thumb: Just looked up the 88-89 TII SMEC pinout on MiniMopar, the wire colors listed there for the charge temp and knock sensors correspond exactly to the wire colors in the plug I have. So, you hit the nail on the head with that one, I have the wrong harness. I could add a wire to this knock sensor plug, but what should I do w/ the sensor ground? Tie it into the rest of the sensor grounds I'm assuming.

To be totally honest, I would go Jon Trotter style on that connector with the way it looks in that pic. New connector and pins purchased from mouser.com and you'll be living in the 21st century for about $15 plus shipping.

Force Fed Mopar
12-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Nothing wrong with the plug, just a spot on that wire. There was a piece of tape over it, looks like someone tapped into it for some reason. I'll probably just clean it up and get some heat shrink on it. The O2 sensor wiring needs cleaning up too.

cordes
12-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Nothing wrong with the plug, just a spot on that wire. There was a piece of tape over it, looks like someone tapped into it for some reason. I'll probably just clean it up and get some heat shrink on it. The O2 sensor wiring needs cleaning up too.

Looks like it's more than just some O2 wiring. I would address all of those areas if it were me. That's why I suggested the new style of connector. It's not much more expensive, but it is much nicer.

Force Fed Mopar
12-02-2011, 07:27 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D

cordes
12-02-2011, 11:52 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D

That's what I said when I had my omni up and running. You wouldn't believe how bad it actually was when I pulled everything to inspect and repair it. I don't like the idea of bad connections for the injector wiring anyway. Bad news if it fails.

Force Fed Mopar
12-03-2011, 08:52 AM
I've had issues with stuff like that before too, so I'm not disagreeing with you. I just don't want to fool with it right now :p

cordes
12-04-2011, 01:05 AM
I've had issues with stuff like that before too, so I'm not disagreeing with you. I just don't want to fool with it right now :p

I'm a procrastinator too. Nothing wrong with that most times.