PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in a thicker bearing plate on a 523/568/543 and stronger metal?

turbovanmanČ
11-26-2011, 05:24 PM
With some of you guys have the output shaft walking and the plates wearing, plus the 543 I have apart, the plate could cover more of the input shaft bearing, and we could make the plate cover the whole end of the trans, ala 555's, be made thicker etc. Thinking of getting one made up for Shayne's 543 but of course, volume does wonders to reduce costs.

Obviously, no idea of cost at this time.

BadAssPerformance
11-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Got pics of what you are thinking?

turbovanmanČ
11-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Got pics of what you are thinking?

Not really, just think of the plate covering the whole end, cut out for the shifter rails and 5th gear and some drain back holes.

135sohc
11-27-2011, 02:14 AM
My only concern with making it the entire endcap style like the 555/520 is the oiling feeder trough. positioning the end cover another 1/4" further out would that run into oil starvation issues for 5th gear ? oil being slung up and feeding down down the trough would be dripping off the end and not down into the 'pocket' and out that little tube into the intermediate shaft ?

turbovanmanČ
11-27-2011, 05:31 AM
That would still be functional, so lube issues shouldn't be an issue.

BadAssPerformance
11-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Good concern if you space that cover out and not get oil in there.

With the support idea, is there enough room behing 5th gear to sneak a thick enough plate?

turbovanmanČ
11-27-2011, 09:15 PM

With the support idea, is there enough room behing 5th gear to sneak a thick enough plate?

We will have to machine out the gear area as with the stocker, it just clears.

Ondonti
11-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Any pictures of this actual problem and reasoning why a thicker plate would help if tbi trans have the same failure? Are there any symptoms of this or just something you find out later?

turbovanmanČ
11-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Any pictures of this actual problem and reasoning why a thicker plate would help if tbi trans have the same failure? Are there any symptoms of this or just something you find out later?

The plate wears, seems JT and DJ, and maybe Reeves and Pat are having the bearing walk off at the opposite end, plus the input bearing push's up on the plate and wears it, so a thicker, stronger plate should reduce or eliminate issues, especially with more power. JT had shifting issues and messed up one trans, DJ was trying his mods and found it, but if the bearing comes off, its a mess.

135sohc
11-27-2011, 11:32 PM
That would still be functional, so lube issues shouldn't be an issue.

Yes you'll provide the pass through hole for the trough but I think your not understanding my question/concern. Your going to be adding an additional layer onto the 'stack' that was never there before and effectively make the trough 1/4" shorter.

I'm going to go grab an end cover and see what the clearences are like. It may not be an issue or it could mean everything.

135sohc
11-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Ok so I got out some parts and did some comparisons and made some obervations.
The feeder trough is slighty longer in the A520/555 but only on the inside where its picking up oil slung off the gears. once installed they are effectively the same length sticking past the aluminum 'bulkhead'.

When putting the 520 bearing plate in place of the 523 bearing plate the oil feeder trough is now not long enough to supply oil into the feeder pocket built into the end cover. It drops off just short.

The difference comes from the depth of the end cover. The stamped steel end cover is slightly shallower vs the cast cover to make up for the thicker bearing plate.

black86glhs
11-28-2011, 01:04 AM
Ok, then just add some 16 ga sheet metal to the end of the feeder to make it long enough. We aren't talking about people who can't change spark plugs. If someone wants to do this to their trans but has no idea of how to do it, have them send it to you and make it for them. The feeder can be modified to work with the thicker end plate. I have had them apart, so I do know what they look like. This should not be that hard to do for this crowd.

BadAssPerformance
11-28-2011, 01:05 AM
The plate wears, seems JT and DJ, and maybe Reeves and Pat are having the bearing walk off at the opposite end, plus the input bearing push's up on the plate and wears it, so a thicker, stronger plate should reduce or eliminate issues, especially with more power. JT had shifting issues and messed up one trans, DJ was trying his mods and found it, but if the bearing comes off, its a mess.

I think the race walking off the intermediate/pinion shaft may not be directly related to the need for a better bearing plate support.

The need for a better plate is merely due to the helical ring/pinion and the shaft being driven into the bearing plate and you get wear like the second one below

turbovanmanČ
11-28-2011, 01:13 AM
I think the race walking off the intermediate/pinion shaft may not be directly related to the need for a better bearing plate support.

The need for a better plate is merely due to the helical ring/pinion and the shaft being driven into the bearing plate and you get wear like the second one below

Its possible and of course, we are all speculating, but the cover could be flexing enough to let the race walk off? But again, until its tried out, we will never know, lol.

BadAssPerformance
11-28-2011, 01:45 AM
I do not think a new race would walk off just from the shaft moving... now with repetitive axial movement, it could shake it off?

turbovanmanČ
11-28-2011, 01:50 AM
I do not think a new race would walk off just from the shaft moving... now with repetitive axial movement, it could shake it off?

Possible. We need a camera inside to see what's going on, lol.

135sohc
11-28-2011, 01:58 AM
Ok, then just add some 16 ga sheet metal to the end of the feeder to make it long enough. We aren't talking about people who can't change spark plugs. If someone wants to do this to their trans but has no idea of how to do it, have them send it to you and make it for them. The feeder can be modified to work with the thicker end plate. I have had them apart, so I do know what they look like. This should not be that hard to do for this crowd.

All I did was raise the question/concern of how this would affect the functionality of the oiling system and I got (IMO) fuzzy snow on the tv as the responce from the potential producer/marketer of said product. Can you understand why I pushed the question again and then since hey I just so happen to have all this junk in question sitting here I'll do a real time field test to validate the question and either shut my yap or just put out there 'hey just keep this in mind'

I fully agree that (hopefully) who would be purchasing/installing this upgraded part would take notice of this detail for themselves and make the mods necessary to ensure a sucessfull install/operation. But then again all it takes is one idiot to muck the works and tell the world, part xyz caused my transmission to fail.

black86glhs
11-28-2011, 02:12 AM
All I did was raise the question/concern of how this would affect the functionality of the oiling system and I got (IMO) fuzzy snow on the tv as the responce from the potential producer/marketer of said product. Can you understand why I pushed the question again and then since hey I just so happen to have all this junk in question sitting here I'll do a real time field test to validate the question and either shut my yap or just put out there 'hey just keep this in mind'

I fully agree that (hopefully) who would be purchasing/installing this upgraded part would take notice of this detail for themselves and make the mods necessary to ensure a sucessfull install/operation. But then again all it takes is one idiot to muck the works and tell the world, part xyz caused my transmission to fail.Relax.....your getting all huffy when nothing was said in a shitty way. All I said was it should be easy enough to fix and thought you could do it. I was not saying you had to.

86Shelby
11-28-2011, 02:21 AM
A short length of tubing with a few small welds would address any oiling issue from the thicker/stronger plate as far as the oil coming from the tube into the feeder. I would doubt that the plate itself would block so much of the feeder trough(sp?) that it would impact the splash oiling through it.

135sohc
11-28-2011, 02:38 AM
Relax.....your getting all huffy when nothing was said in a shitty way. All I said was it should be easy enough to fix and thought you could do it. I was not saying you had to.

No huffy here, thats my normal mode of thinking and responce when it comes to things like this and the details of how something has to work. I work with idiots who couldnt find their way out of a bathroom stall so going overboard sometimes tends to follow me home and through the fingers onto the keyboard.

The connection between the keyboard and how it was meant to come across was clouded there :lol:

black86glhs
11-28-2011, 02:43 AM
No huffy here, thats my normal mode of thinking and responce when it comes to things like this and the details of how something has to work. I work with idiots who couldnt find their way out of a bathroom stall so going overboard sometimes tends to follow me home and through the fingers onto the keyboard.

The connection between the keyboard and how it was meant to come across was clouded there :lol:No worries. I understand about the co-workers. A so called friend lives at my wife's mom's house and he fits into that category. Between us, I think that problem may have a solution.:thumb:

Ondonti
11-28-2011, 07:16 AM
How bad of an idea is it to just make new or slightly better parts and change them fairly regularly?

I know people like riding the peanuts of things they have not fully researched but Honda guys regularly take apart their Liberty Gated Dog Boxes because those things still die over time. Some guys always have a spare on hand.

I like the idea of a bullet proof trans but I see people just wanting to give up and move on. Simon, you considering doing 5 speed rebuilds?

turbovanmanČ
11-28-2011, 02:12 PM

I fully agree that (hopefully) who would be purchasing/installing this upgraded part would take notice of this detail for themselves and make the mods necessary to ensure a sucessfull install/operation. But then again all it takes is one idiot to muck the works and tell the world, part xyz caused my transmission to fail.

There was no snow, I answered and yes, all fitment issues will be looked at.

How bad of an idea is it to just make new or slightly better parts and change them fairly regularly?

I know people like riding the peanuts of things they have not fully researched but Honda guys regularly take apart their Liberty Gated Dog Boxes because those things still die over time. Some guys always have a spare on hand.

I like the idea of a bullet proof trans but I see people just wanting to give up and move on. Simon, you considering doing 5 speed rebuilds?

Agreed, I go into my trans every year or so, just to freshen it up.

I've been doing 5 speed rebuilds for years, hence why I offer fixing the older 555 output shafts. I am doing Shaynes 543, he isn't going auto anymore, so figured I/we will do what we can to have it hold together for a longer period of time, :lol:

shackwrrr
11-29-2011, 09:29 AM
The 523/568 bearing plate doesn't space the end cover out at all so there would be no oiling issues. To make it clear we are talking about the steel plate that bolts to the aluminum one. It sounds like you are talking about replacing the aluminum one or are talking about extending the small plate out to the edges of the aluminum

turbovanmanČ
11-29-2011, 02:24 PM
The 523/568 bearing plate doesn't space the end cover out at all so there would be no oiling issues. To make it clear we are talking about the steel plate that bolts to the aluminum one. It sounds like you are talking about replacing the aluminum one or are talking about extending the small plate out to the edges of the aluminum

There is only one plate, its steel, so yes, talking about the end plate that's under the cover, where 5th gear is.

135sohc
11-29-2011, 03:56 PM

Yes. To extend the steel backup plate all the way out to the outside edges of the case. The feeder trough would need ~1/4"~ extension added to it.