PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Polybushings After Installation?

minigts
11-24-2011, 10:31 PM
I just installed the 1.25" sway bar bushings and when I lowered the car it was REALLY squeaky. At first I didn't put the lube stuff on just because I didn't for the Energy Suspension ones I had in there. So I pulled everything back down and put the stuff on and it still squeaks! Will it go away after time? I have the center ones in correctly with the curvy side up and the "marked" side on the bottom. And it's not just the middle or ends, it's all of them. Do they just need to break in? I honestly don't remember if the other ones did because it's been so long.

Mopar318
11-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Any type of poly bushings have squeaked when I ran them. They do seem to get quieter as time goes on, but get louder after a really long time when the lube starts to wash away.

minigts
11-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Any type of poly bushings have squeaked when I ran them. They do seem to get quieter as time goes on, but get louder after a really long time when the lube starts to wash away.

Hmm, well good to know. Hopefully it will go away quickly. I haven't driven the car, just lowered it but MAN it was squeaky! :)

turbovanmanČ
11-25-2011, 01:31 AM
Never had any poly bushings squeak, sure you lubed everything up?

Shadowv4l
11-25-2011, 01:33 AM
I used the lube that came with the front and rear sway bars and I haven't heard any noise from them and its going on 3 or more years now. I haven't even applied more grease, the stuff seems to linger for a long time.

minigts
11-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Never had any poly bushings squeak, sure you lubed everything up?

Do you mean the stuff that is like a failed Bubblelicous recipe? Yes, I used tons of that. The bushings are in correctly and the sway bar is in correctly, not upside down. :)

I used the lube that came with the front and rear sway bars and I haven't heard any noise from them and its going on 3 or more years now. I haven't even applied more grease, the stuff seems to linger for a long time.

Well I haven't driven the car so may be it will work itself out. Just was REALLY squeaky when I dropped the car. To get the sway bar in, I had to get a jack and jack the sway bar in place, bolt one side, bolt the center retainers down and then the last side. Everything fit ok, not real resistance to speak of other than getting the bar up there. But there is green lube all over those things, so we'll see how the car rides tomorrow.

Johnny
11-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Jon, you did put the lube between the bar and the bushing right?
I did have someone add it between the bushing and the a-arm.

I have added it to many bars/bushings and never had them make noise.
Something is amiss!

Mopar318
11-26-2011, 11:50 AM
My Prothanes always squeaked. You bushing must fit better!

Johnny
11-26-2011, 12:14 PM
My Prothanes always squeaked. You bushing must fit better!
Take them out clean them and then put my lube on them.

Mopar318
11-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Take them out clean them and then put my lube on them.

What is the difference between your lube and the white stuff they have? Theirs is REALLY sticky. This is on my neon, you should make sway bushing for them! The Prothanes are just circles, the dont fit like the factory shape.

Johnny
11-26-2011, 12:56 PM
If i dont make it...i sell Prothane. The lube they use is pretty good. My green stuff is better. When i sell prothane, i send my lube along.
Photo of stock and prothane together?

Mopar318
11-26-2011, 01:07 PM
If i dont make it...i sell Prothane. The lube they use is pretty good. My green stuff is better. When i sell prothane, i send my lube along.
Photo of stock and prothane together?

I already threw away the stock ones, but here you can see the prothane. I have had energy suspension bushing on another car of mine and they always squeaked. Hopefully the prothane stuff is better, I just assumed the squeaking was normal.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d48/Mopar318/IMG_0259-1.jpg

Im not sure if you can see it in this picture, but basically the bushing is just a circle, and it squeezes out as you tighten the sway bar brackets, which makes a gap on the horizonal front/back of the bushing. The factory bushings are shaped like a diamond, so when you tighten them they clamp equally around the bar.

Johnny
11-26-2011, 01:17 PM
In that photo i do see the rear c-arm donut bushing.

minigts
11-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Jon, you did put the lube between the bar and the bushing right?
I did have someone add it between the bushing and the a-arm.

I have added it to many bars/bushings and never had them make noise.
Something is amiss!

No comment...... ;)

Forgot to do between the bar, never had it there before. I'll pull it back down and do that. BTW let me say that my car actually handles better with these in there than the Energy Suspension ones. I seriously could tell a difference in the S curve at my house, night and day. I thought my tires were just getting bald and that's why I had understeer (I think, sliding left too much in a right hand corner?), but I can take that same curve now like the car is on rails! Very impressed. I'll get the lube on the bar and I know that will resolve my issue.

cordes
11-27-2011, 04:37 PM
FWIW, when I did the my neon I was pressed for time and cold. I didn't lube parts of the rear and it squeaked like crazy. The parts which I actually lubed like they recommend were quiet from the get go.

BadAssPerformance
11-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I seriously could tell a difference in the S curve at my house,

You have an S-curve AT your house? Awesome :thumb:

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

FWIW, when I did the my neon I was pressed for time and cold. I didn't lube parts of the rear and it squeaked like crazy. The parts which I actually lubed like they recommend were quiet from the get go.

Johnny also gives PLENTY of lube... for the 89 LCA bushings and stab bar bushings I put in the Z thsi year, I think the two kits came with 3 containers and I only needed one for everything :nod:

minigts
11-27-2011, 04:43 PM

Yeah, I think it will be fine once I do it. Problem is pulling that stupid thing down and getting it back up. I have to jack the bar up in order to press it into the control arm, it's so tight! :)

You have an S-curve AT your house? Awesome :thumb:

LOL Yes, and 1/8 mile track from my the street to the concrete slab of my garage. :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
11-27-2011, 04:46 PM
LOL Yes, and 1/8 mile track from my the street to the concrete slab of my garage. :thumb:

Cool! Do you have a mile straight for us to play on too? SDAC-23 at Trotters~ :)

minigts
11-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Sure, there is a stretch of road that's just about 1/4". We'd have to block traffic each run, but we could do it. :)

Johnny
11-28-2011, 12:04 AM
1/4 inch?...:)

minigts
11-28-2011, 12:05 AM
1/4 inch?...:)

ROFL 1/4 mile!!!!!! AAAGGHHH!!!!! :D

BadAssPerformance
11-28-2011, 12:07 AM
LOL... need about 1/2" of shutdown ;)

minigts
12-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Ok, applied the gooey stuff and that fixed it. Man that grease is gummy....... :$