PDA

View Full Version : What to look for: 95 tracker

W.P._Turbocars
11-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Well looks like tomorrow I'll be picking up a 95ish geo tracker super cheap. Has a blown engine. Straight body, 4wd, 5 speed 2 door. what are the pros and cons to working on these things? It does need an engine and I think I've traded into a replacement. What tends to go bad on these things the most? Worse case I'll part it out to get my money back.

Thanks in advance.

turbovanmanČ
11-17-2011, 02:42 AM
Nothing really, your changing the engine so that's a good start. They rust easily, apart from that, they are pretty bulletproof.

shackwrrr
11-17-2011, 07:22 AM
Yep, mainly look out for structural rust damage. They had capacitor issues in the ecu but its just a 75 cent fix if you can solder.

W.P._Turbocars
11-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Sounds good guys. Thanks.

speedfreek500
11-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Also remove left tail lamp asm and clean the ground wire from the fuel pump, they like to rust out and will leave on the side of the road.

turbovanmanČ
11-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Yep, mainly look out for structural rust damage. They had capacitor issues in the ecu but its just a 75 cent fix if you can solder.

He probably has the 16 valve engine, those didn't seem to have an issue, just the TBI ones, as they use the computer to trigger the power side? :banghead:

shackwrrr
11-17-2011, 02:48 PM
My 16v had faulty caps. Rubycon brand caps.

Big_P
11-17-2011, 08:46 PM
I had a 92 tracker, 4x4. Took a beating. 106hp TBI could roast the 30" tires on I had on it.

If you're going to re-do the motor, put 100% all new gaskets in it everywhere, don't miss any. They leak like a son of a -----.

If you run it low on oil you'll likely toast the main bearings first. I put thousands of miles on mine with a BAD knock. Very cool car, I took the doors off like a Jeep and drove it like that all summer.

And like they said, watch out for RUST!

Aries_Turbo
11-17-2011, 09:22 PM
rust, worn rear end howl if the fluid has never been changed for 170k miles, clogged egr BS. thats about it.

mine had 170k on the stock clutch and would still bark 2nd.

i loved that thing for horsing around. not the best for long trips though as the seats arent the softest and its loud as ---- inside with the soft top and cold too in the winter. i carried a snow suit in it for the winter.

that said, a friend and i took it to franks house in SO MD. it was a blast. took the rear zip in windows out to keep the wind from hitting us in the side of the head and it was perfect. got 30mpg beating the piss out of it.

hehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY3RqlTxm7M

mine was the red one.

Brian

turbovanmanČ
11-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Guess what I got to work on today, yep, 98 Tracker for a no start, lol.

W.P._Turbocars
11-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Well, having a little title problem right now so it's on the back burner. Previous owner (before the guy who's got it now) had crossed out the mileage on the title so now the guy who has it now has to go track him down and have him fill out a letter of affidavit (sp?) so he can title it to himself and then get the title back so I can get it.
For what I'm paying for it I'm just swapping in another engine and making some quick cash on it