PDA

View Full Version : If you have a 95 -97 Jeep GC pay attention.

Rattlesnake
11-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Complaint: Engine quits while driving/idling regardless of temperature and/or miles driven.

After the customer replaced the fuel pump, coil, dist cap and rotor and crank sensor the vehicle was brought to my shop. I duplicated the problem by wiggling the PCM connectors, it had injection pulse but no spark.
Chrysler had a kit to replace the PCM connector but now they are discontinued.

After checking all the wires and they checked OK the PCM was the only part left. Took the cover off and the it wouldn't cut off even when I wiggle the connectors. Installed the torx screws back and it shut off, removed them again and it fired back up with no issues.
Left the screws out and it runs very good! The torx somehow are too long and grounds a circuit on the board cousing it to shut off.

Rei Moloon

Vigo
11-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Hah, cool find!

ShelGame
11-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Complaint: Engine quits while driving/idling regardless of temperature and/or miles driven.

After the customer replaced the fuel pump, coil, dist cap and rotor and crank sensor the vehicle was brought to my shop. I duplicated the problem by wiggling the PCM connectors, it had injection pulse but no spark.
Chrysler had a kit to replace the PCM connector but now they are discontinued.

After checking all the wires and they checked OK the PCM was the only part left. Took the cover off and the it wouldn't cut off even when I wiggle the connectors. Installed the torx screws back and it shut off, removed them again and it fired back up with no issues.
Left the screws out and it runs very good! The torx somehow are too long and grounds a circuit on the board cousing it to shut off.

Rei Moloon

This issue is out there, but not so well known. It's not on the '95's. Only on the '96-98 (OBDII). It was the first year of the JTEC. '95 has the SBECII - there are no screws. If you look, there's a guy on eBay that will 'fix' your '96-98 PCM for like $100. All he does is put shorter screws in or something like that.

contraption22
11-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Haha. Interesting. Thought I had something to look forward to, but looks like my '95 was spared this little gift from the engineers!

turbovanmanČ
11-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Awesome, I am having issues with a customers 97 Jeep, all kinds of weird things, woot, :hail:

Rattlesnake
11-15-2011, 04:00 PM
I was not aware that this was a common problem, But the customer was happy that I only charged him $70 for the diag and found the problem without throwing parts like the previous 3 shops (one of them a local dealer Dodge dealer:wow1:)

turbovanmanČ
11-15-2011, 04:11 PM
I was not aware that this was a common problem, But the customer was happy that I only charged him $70 for the diag and found the problem without throwing parts like the previous 3 shops (one of them a local dealer Dodge dealer:wow1:)

I put a couple parts on for testing as I have spares but now I can get her back and fix it. Thanks for posting up, I too was unaware of this.

ShelGame
11-15-2011, 04:41 PM
I found it scouring the Jeep forums when I had a similar problem. Mine turned out to be the crank position sensor, though. There was actually a pic of the computer and screw at fault in one of the threads. That how I realized it was a JTEC problem and not SBECII. I had even been looking for a spare computer when I first read about it. Like I said, it wasn't a commonly known issue, but it was known.

moparjon2007
11-27-2011, 04:20 PM
As long as were on the GC thing, my display in the center stack commonly loses the time, it keeps the mileage till next oil change though. I can reset time and it will keep it for a week or two tops till the same thing. What controls that display? Is this a common problem and if so is it a cheap fix? Thanks, Jon.