PDA

View Full Version : Engine locked up from sitting. 79 Trans Am

W.P._Turbocars
11-14-2011, 07:15 PM
So I put a battery in the TA today just to find that the engine has locked up from sitting. It's been about 8 years since it was last started. Is there anything I can do to un-seize the engine without tearing it up?

Thanks in advance.

Directconnection
11-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Marvel Mystery Oil liberally into each cylinder.

W.P._Turbocars
11-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Then let it sit for about 2 weeks? or longer?

Directconnection
11-14-2011, 07:50 PM
I've only done the Marvel Mystery Oil on one occassion on an old 1930's Farmall, and it didn't work. But many others I know, had great success. I'd say let it sit for at least a couple days. If no luck, squirt some more and let it sit for another week or so.

But, if frees up, make sure you crank the motor over a lot to get out the oil before putting the plugs back in. You my hydra-lock it or whatever they call the term.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

BTW: you sure the starter isn't stuck from sitting, instead?

moparman76_69
11-14-2011, 07:50 PM
transmission fluid in each cylinder, let it sit then get it freed up with a breaker bar.

If you use something like marvel oil or pb blaster then get it freed up by hand first then change the oil before starting it.

Directconnection
11-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I was going to recommend using a breaker bar vs. the starter, too.

Force Fed Mopar
11-14-2011, 07:57 PM
You sure it's the engine, and not the starter gone bad? I've used trans fluid, diesel fuel, PB Blaster, others have used MMO. I'd let it sit for a week, then go try rocking the crank w/ a breaker bar.

W.P._Turbocars
11-15-2011, 03:46 AM
Pretty sure it's locked up. I took all the belts off of it and tried to crank it over with the battery and by hand at the crank with no luck. It won't budge.

GLHNSLHT2
11-15-2011, 09:44 PM
it's a manual or auto?

54inches
11-15-2011, 09:56 PM
We have used diesel; filled the engine plumb up with it and let it sit for a day.

Marvel works good, but it usually is better if you take the intake off.

Tranny fluid works good took.

PB Blaster works great for freeing up stuck cylinders, just hard to get in there sometimes, unless the heads are off.

Pics of said TA.

moparman76_69
11-15-2011, 10:09 PM
buy the gallon of pb and pour it into the cylinder.

How long has it sat? I'm assuming it hasn't been that long and a few oz. of trans fluid will unstick the rings.

W.P._Turbocars
11-16-2011, 12:03 AM
It's an 403 CI auto. 53k original mile 2nd owner car.

54inches
11-16-2011, 12:25 AM
That is hot! A little sandpaper and some weatherstripping and that is NOICE!

chryguy
11-16-2011, 02:07 AM
Nice old poncho!

Growing up on a farm, I had a lot of experience fixing tractors and trucks that had sat for extended periods.

Actually don't remember one that didn't eventually loosen-up. Of course those old things were the "cast iron hammers" of the vehicle world. :p

Personally, I'd use PB just because of it's wicking ability and the fact that I've never seen anything bust-rust like it.

As formerly mentioned, let it sit for a while (days if not a week), then try the breaker bar. If it doesn't break loose EASILY with the bar, don't try to force it and break the bolt.
Remove the starter (and inspection plate) and turn the crank at the flywheel.
The outside of the flywheel gives you the most leverage, so, using a long screwdriver or small bar, try turning it tooth by tooth. If it REALLY resists being turned that way try moving it back and forth a little. You could even move it a small amount and continue to let it sit with PB in the cylinders, moving it back and forth a little every few days.

You should be able to break it loose...hopefully without damage.

Good luck...:thumb:

CG

54inches
11-16-2011, 01:13 PM
One question; are you sure it is not the tranny?

I had an old vette that we thought was the engine, and I broke the converter bolts loose and the engine turned over.

W.P._Turbocars
11-16-2011, 02:35 PM
I'll have to check that out. Maybe in a few months... lol

Directconnection
11-16-2011, 04:08 PM
The Farmall we had.... it sat for a few decades outside. We put in Marvel in it, tried it ina week, and nothing. Then did it again another couple weeks and still nothing. We even tried pulling it across the driveway and it was still locked up.

Big_P
11-17-2011, 08:51 PM
One question; are you sure it is not the tranny?

I had an old vette that we thought was the engine, and I broke the converter bolts loose and the engine turned over. How did you access all the converter bolts with the motor locked up? o.O

54inches
11-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Cherry Picker.

chryguy
11-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Hey Steve,

I did this stuff when I was a little kid...like from the time I was 9-10 years old. My Dad was NOT mechanically inclined and would take me to the Allis-Chalmers dealer with him and have the shop mechanics explain how to fix stuff to ME.
One of my Pop's good friends was a long time auto mechanic who told me the turn-it-at-the-flywheel trick. We had a tractor that we were dragging around trying to break it loose, and told me I was wasting my time.

Several of the ones I broke loose needed a crowbar on the flywheel teeth. One I had to move it a tooth or so one way, then back...letting it continue to soak the entire time. It probably took a week to turn it one revolution eventually. Only then did it start to loosen-up.

Believe it or not, I broke-loose an old blue oval Y block motored stock and grain truck by using a chain to hook our Farmall super A to the to the pressure plate(from the side). Pop's was amazed I got that one to turn. :)
More unbelievable was once we got that thing running for a while...it didn't smoke or suck oil. :confused:
Id'a figured we'd cheesed the rings forcing it like that...but it ran fine until we eventually sold it.

CG

Directconnection
11-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Well, that old Farmall is long gone.... that was about 10 years ago. It was funny as hell with the old 1966 beater Ford plow truck dragging it down the driveway with the rear wheels locked up. Next time if I ever have an issue like that, I'll try PB blaster and reef on the flywheel.