PDA

View Full Version : TIII The TIII's creator's take on the timing belt tension being so tight!

turbovanmanČ
11-13-2011, 02:12 AM
Discuss, :eyebrows:

The timing belt tension had to be set so high to overcome "tow roping" of the timing belt, i.e. the timing belt going into negative tension. Tow roping is a belt killer. We found that this problem was caused by the extremely low valvetrain friction from using roller rockers combined with the DOHC set up. As soon as an exhaust valve rocker goes over the nose of the camshaft, there is no friction to slow it down and it tries to close the valve even faster, causing the exhaust cam sprocket to rotate clockwise faster and decrease the tension in the belt span between the sprockets. With a bucket tappet, which is used on most DOHC 4 cylinders, there is friction. On the 8 valve SOHC engine, there is an intake lobe on the same camshaft coming up to help out! So we had to crank up the initial belt tension to solve the problem.

An automatic belt tensioner would probably have helped. However, belt life is probably improved if people watch their belt tension and keep it within spec.

GLHNSLHT2
11-13-2011, 03:03 AM
all that comes to my mind is "another reason the T3 sucks" :)

turbovanmanČ
11-13-2011, 03:04 AM

Actually, it blows, :p

Lotashelbys
11-13-2011, 11:42 AM
I was waiting for that kind of comment lol

Force Fed Mopar
11-13-2011, 11:48 AM
One more reason to swap to a 2.4... lol

GLHNSLHT2
11-13-2011, 12:47 PM
how's the 2.4 deal with it?

Force Fed Mopar
11-13-2011, 01:00 PM
how's the 2.4 deal with it?

It's set by hand, same as the old motors. They aren't set really tight though. There are idler pulleys set pretty close to the cam gears, probably helps out. Isn't that what Jackson's custom tensioner does?

The 2.0 has an automatic belt tensioner (hydraulic).

turbovanmanČ
11-13-2011, 02:36 PM
It's set by hand, same as the old motors. They aren't set really tight though. There are idler pulleys set pretty close to the cam gears, probably helps out. Isn't that what Jackson's custom tensioner does?

The 2.0 has an automatic belt tensioner (hydraulic).

Some 2.4's had a auto tensioner.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

I was waiting for that kind of comment lol

Some people are predicatable, lol.

Force Fed Mopar
11-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Some 2.4's had a auto tensioner.[COLOR="Silver"]

I thought they did, but I couldn't remember, so I figured I better not say so lol.

Black93RT
11-14-2011, 01:00 AM

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h473/cj3hockey/haters-gonna-hate-eagle.jpg