PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 in CSX?

Stratman
11-12-2011, 12:41 AM
A while back I thought (like many folks) to find a SRT4 engine for the CSX with my fully built A413. Tonight a SCCA Neon racing buddy offered me his N/A 2.0 liter block with 3 good Eagle rods with one rod needing replaced. Seems to me this may not be a terrible idea for the 2700 lbs CSX and fairly affordable with the block condition and parts already in the block, minus the pistons and head needed.
Things I may need opinions/facts on from people who have swapped/turbo'd the 2.0:

Is the 2.0 block very different to 2.4 in strength (will be mounting large turbo)/same block?
Is 2.0 and 2.4 heads interchangeable
Options for intake fitment
Ablility to bolt on 2.2 A413 trans/ or options for other transmissions
Potential failure points of 2.0

turbovanmanČ
11-12-2011, 05:16 PM
I believe the block has the same mounting as the 2.4, but the 2.4 block is taller, same heads for both blocks, around 2000 I believe, they did change the heads a little bit.

Use the Neon 31th, same trans as the A413 but the correct case unless you want to modify the A413 to fit, missing one dowel location.

Stratman
11-12-2011, 05:46 PM
I believe the block has the same mounting as the 2.4, but the 2.4 block is taller, same heads for both blocks, around 2000 I believe, they did change the heads a little bit.

Use the Neon 31th, same trans as the A413 but the correct case unless you want to modify the A413 to fit, missing one dowel location.

Thanks,
Will guts interchange in that Trans from my a413?

Force Fed Mopar
11-12-2011, 05:54 PM
2.0 block is more similar to the old 2.2/2.5 block than the 2.4. Still has the distributor bump in the front and all. I would say the 2.0 is at least as strong as a 2.2, and close to a 2.4. there are quite a few big power turbo'd 2.0's out there I think. Do some searching for Hahn's Race Craft cars.

BTW, the stock 2.2 pass side motor mount can be modded to fit the 2.0 mount plate pretty easily. Actually it fits just like it is, but needs to have an extra piece welded on so you can bolt it on more solidly.

turbovanmanČ
11-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks,
Will guts interchange in that Trans from my a413?

Yep, identical trans except 31's are LU, so you'll need to plug up the hole or put the solenoid assembly on and leave unplugged.

As for intakes, again, use what you want per say but again, they do change with the head year, but I've put the older intakes on the SRT style heads by redrilling a few bolts.

ShelGame
11-12-2011, 10:52 PM
2.0 block is more similar to the old 2.2/2.5 block than the 2.4. Still has the distributor bump in the front and all.

Really?, I'll have to go check that out...

Force Fed Mopar
11-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Really?, I'll have to go check that out...

Yeap :) Height is about the same too. Also, the 2.0 has 3 oil drains in the back, the 2.4 only has 2. The rearmost galley on the 2.0 interferes with the starter when you try to use a 2.2 tranny on it. You have to use a gear-reduction starter and grind a good bit on the drain galley boss to clear it. Or youu can just plug it off at the top and cut it out to clear the starter like Unaclocker did :D

Stratman
11-13-2011, 01:54 AM
Yep, identical trans except 31's are LU, so you'll need to plug up the hole or put the solenoid assembly on and leave unplugged.

As for intakes, again, use what you want per say but again, they do change with the head year, but I've put the older intakes on the SRT style heads by redrilling a few bolts.

Got ya. I may still have the block off plug they sent with my manual valve body purchase a few years back.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

BTW:The engine is from a 96 model I believe.

turbovanmanČ
11-13-2011, 02:57 AM
Yeap :) Height is about the same too. Also, the 2.0 has 3 oil drains in the back, the 2.4 only has 2. The rearmost galley on the 2.0 interferes with the starter when you try to use a 2.2 tranny on it. You have to use a gear-reduction starter and grind a good bit on the drain galley boss to clear it. Or youu can just plug it off at the top and cut it out to clear the starter like Unaclocker did :D

The 2.4 block is taller hence if you put a 2.4 in a 1st gen Neon, you have hood clearance issues.

Got ya. I may still have the block off plug they sent with my manual valve body purchase a few years back.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

BTW:The engine is from a 96 model I believe.

Sounds good.

So you got the 1st gen engine so to speak.

Stratman
11-13-2011, 09:49 AM
Yes, the older block. That's why I was inquiring about the strength. Those little engines seem to work fairly well holding well past 7000 RPM for a long time on the road track, though I will be throwing much more torque at that engine down low.
I have been trying to find the Hans cars with no luck. Can you give me something else to define my search?

One deal with this block is the deck was cut quite low which was the main issue he had with the dome pistons causing piston to head clearance which was the demise of the engine in his first race this year. I normally would build my engines like this and I'm sure I would have better luck with dish pistons and thicker head gasket, if thicker HG is available for the 2.0.

Stratman
11-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Found Hahn's through Google. Thanks.

Force Fed Mopar
11-13-2011, 11:27 AM
The 2.4 block is taller hence if you put a 2.4 in a 1st gen Neon, you have hood clearance issues.

Simon, I'm going to send you back to 5th grade reading class :)

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Yes, the older block. That's why I was inquiring about the strength. Those little engines seem to work fairly well holding well past 7000 RPM for a long time on the road track, though I will be throwing much more torque at that engine down low.
I have been trying to find the Hans cars with no luck. Can you give me something else to define my search?

One deal with this block is the deck was cut quite low which was the main issue he had with the dome pistons causing piston to head clearance which was the demise of the engine in his first race this year. I normally would build my engines like this and I'm sure I would have better luck with dish pistons and thicker head gasket, if thicker HG is available for the 2.0.

AFAIK the 2.0 blocks are all the same. IIRC the 420A is the same bottom end as well, just uses the "backwards head". So, they should all be the same strength, regardless of year. Only one I am not sure about is the 2.0 Magnum used in the 00-up Neons, they may have beefed them up a bit (they made as much power w/ a SOHC and the old DOHC did).

turbovanmanČ
11-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Simon, I'm going to send you back to 5th grade reading class :)

You said the blocks are the same height. Just like in the clutch thread, you said he paid big bucks and shouldn't be broken, then you said we are on the same page? :confused:

Your quote from above-

Yeap Height is about the same too.

Force Fed Mopar
11-13-2011, 05:04 PM
About the same as a 2.2, not a 2.4.

turbovanmanČ
11-13-2011, 05:48 PM
About the same as a 2.2, not a 2.4.

There you go, I was talking 2.0 to 2.4,. that' what I was referring too, so we are both right, lol. ;)

Force Fed Mopar
11-13-2011, 06:59 PM

Stratman
11-13-2011, 09:54 PM

We have found the anomaly in the time distortion loop!.....Simon.....LOL

Force Fed Mopar
11-14-2011, 01:40 AM
We have found the anomaly in the time distortion loop!.....Simon.....LOL

:lol: :thumb: