PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have a CSX-T with a FACTORY sunroof?

88CSX-T
11-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Me and Bowling have ascertained that there are more than one CSX-T with a factory sunroof. I can also see a few with sunroofs on cindergals website. But I wanted to know if there is anyone else on here that has one with a factory sunroof. :nod:

A factory sunroof would have a big label on it that says ASC (American Sunroof Company), as well as 3 build date stamps on the glass and the mechanism that are dated around the middle of 1987. It would be opened by turning a big knob. The front hinges also have spring-loaded quick release latches so you can take the roof all the way out... :bounce::bounce2::thumb:

2.216VTurbo
11-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Bowling? Who's that? I haven't even heard that name in 5+ years, thought Dempsey joined a convent or something:lol:...

BadAssPerformance
11-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Pics?

supercrackerbox
11-12-2011, 06:51 AM
Pics?

Both of the sunroof and Dempsey in a nun suit.

CSX344
11-13-2011, 09:59 PM
There was only 1 CSX-T with a sunroof that was for the presidents daughter. Your vin of your csx checked with steve @ shelbymotorsports would give you the answer if you have the presidents daughters car. Car should have been ear marked for special treatment.

88CSX-T
11-14-2011, 04:06 PM
csx344- how do you know that there was only 1 csx-t made with a sunroof?

88CSX-T
11-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Here are the CSX-T's that I've found (besides mine) to have a sunroof: #176 (rip), #321 (rip), #471 (Nick Alessi), #481 (Dustin Hoover), #802 (Darren Lukach), #723 (Jc Krieger), and #894.....Does anyone know these cars? Are/were they factory sunroofs or aftermarket sunroofs? Hmmm...

:ballchain:

CSX344
11-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Its in the shelby history. There is only one csx-t that left the factory with a sunroof period. If other cars had them they were added after shelby had them. But it is possible that you have the presidents daughters car. Get in touch with Steve @ shelbymotorsports he has the vin list from shelby and can tell you everthing about your csx-t.

TurboMinivan
11-14-2011, 09:13 PM
thought Dempsey joined a convent or something:lol:...

No, I didn't join a convent. I just sold my van and fell off the Shelby Dodge radar. I'm willing to get back into the hobby; the right car just hasn't come along yet.

-Dempsey

Joe Anderson
11-14-2011, 09:45 PM
The easiest way to tell if you have a factory sunroof,and not aftermarket one..... is the option code of GWA or GWB.
This would be listed on your build sheet,or dealer parts department by looking up your vin.
If those dealer codes are not listed for your car,then it was installed by a third party company ( after leaving thrifty ).

Wonder if 344 had the factory option code,or if shelby had it installed by a third party.
Has anyone seen 344,does it look factory installed,with the side drain tubes?

CSX344
11-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Great answer joe, never thought of that method.

supercrackerbox
11-15-2011, 03:46 AM
Don't rule a sunroof as being factory by whether it has drain tubes though. My '86 Daytona had a Cars & Concepts aftermarket sunroof, and it had drain tubes.

88CSX-T
11-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Don't rule a sunroof as being factory by whether it has drain tubes though. My '86 Daytona had a Cars & Concepts aftermarket sunroof, and it had drain tubes.

Huh?? :confused: That must have cost a fortune to have a sunroof installed like that.............

4 l-bodies
11-15-2011, 12:07 PM
My 89 ES yellow Shadow has factory sunroof. GWB on buildcode. Safeguard glass not ASC. Lever actuated not knob like all the other body styles. Has drain holes like others but more shallow. I think headroom issue prevented other style to be used by factory on P-bodies.
Todd

supercrackerbox
11-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Very well may have. I wish I had some pics.

88CSX-T
11-15-2011, 02:40 PM
4 i-bodies: Does your sunroof have a name brand stamped on it besides Safeguard? I thought ASC was the factory supplier of sunroofs to Dodge at that time. Was the GWB on the build sheet AND the radiator tag?? ... Hmmm...

135sohc
11-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Take close look @ the roof skin where its edge where it meets the glass. If its rolled down and continues under the glass edge then its a factory sunroof (panel was stamped as a sunroof specific part) if its got a metal frame that overlaps the roof skin its aftermarket and not from the production line.

88CSX-T
11-15-2011, 06:25 PM
True, an aftermarket company would have sawed a hole in the roof so you'd have a regular cut edge there.... I'll check that out when i get home from work....

4 l-bodies
11-15-2011, 07:17 PM
4 i-bodies: Does your sunroof have a name brand stamped on it besides Safeguard? I thought ASC was the factory supplier of sunroofs to Dodge at that time. Was the GWB on the build sheet AND the radiator tag?? ... Hmmm...
No brand besides safeguard on glass or hatch. Yes GWB is also on radiator tag and buidsheet. I agree with Joe Anderson, if it was installed at factory it would be on buildsheet. Here is a couple pics for you guys on factory installed sunroof on my 89 ES Shadow.
Todd

88CSX-T
11-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Well i looked at my sunroof, it's nothing like yours (sorry, no camera, no pix; but working on getting pix).. But I've also discovered that in 1988, sunroofs could be either "factory" or "factory installed". A kid with an '88 Lancer has a "factory installed" ASC sunroof in his car, and there's no code on the data tag (but there is an ASC sticker on the door sill). This is what someone in a forum wrote that used to work for Chrysler:

Let's see if I can remember ?!?!?! ASC did the sunroof down the street from the factory. The car was taken to them "done" with out the head liner installed. They did their thing and the car was "now done" ready to sell. We had to use the tag when ordering parts to see if it was "factory" or Factory installed. :yuck::yuck::yuck:

Joe Anderson
11-15-2011, 11:50 PM
Sometimes the engine bay data plate does not have enough room for all the factory option codes.
A person would need to have the full build sheet,or have the dodge dealer look up your VIN for all 30 plus codes.

If customer paid for a sunroof throuh chrysler,they would need to account for it with either code GWA or GWB .

They are not going to give away free stuff,without paying for it.

88CSX-T
11-16-2011, 03:15 PM
1) Where might the build sheet be in an '88 csx-t? :confused2:

2) who at the Dodge dealer can you get that info from, the parts department? How much does it cost? Can they print it out right there while you wait? :bowl::bowl::bowl::bowl:

Joe Anderson
11-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Most of the time,the build sheet was hidden under the carpet.
If the build sheet was not recovered early in its life,its probally destroyed by years of water.

Anyone at the dodge parts department can print your option codes,and it should be free. They will need you to bring the car down as to verify the vin,and also enter the correct miles.Some dodge dealers may be more willing than others,but you really need the option codes.

TurboMinivan
11-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Anyone at the dodge parts department can print your option codes,and it should be free. They will need you to bring the car down as to verify the vin,and also enter the correct miles.Some dodge dealers may be more willing than others,but you really need the option codes.

I have already generated this list, converted it to a .pdf file and emailed it to him.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Both of the sunroof and Dempsey in a nun suit.

Be careful what you wish for. I may be able to provide such photos. ;)

-Dempsey

1991SpiritES
11-21-2011, 03:09 PM
If I remember, L-body, P-body, G-body, J-body, AA body, and 87 and older H-body cars, the sunroofs are done at the factory because it was stamped into the roof and were manual flip up. The G-body, L-body and J-body had the turn knob to open them and the other just a flip handle. The 88-89 H-body was done at ASC because it was a power sunroof, and I think the 89 mini van was also done at ASC to, but I haven't really had a chance to look at one up close.

88CSX-T
11-22-2011, 01:52 AM
Well I'm pretty sure all the cars with ASC sunroofs were required by law to put the sticker in the doorjamb saying that the car was modified by asc and has passed all federal safety requirements. I'm sure some owners have taken those stickers off over the years too..