PDA

View Full Version : looking for V6 turbo

shadowdude
07-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Hey ,just wondering ,did i or didn,t i see a post here some where that some one was making turbo kits for the V6 ,I could have sworn i seen it ,but i have looked high and low and nothing.does anybody know were this is ,or is it real .or am i not getting enough fresh air these days LOL:p :p

dustbuster
07-28-2006, 01:49 AM
There is no kit for the 3.0. I've been looking too, and everybody who has a turbo has fabricated it themselves. kmperformance.com made a prototype turbo manifold, but when I asked them about it they said they are focusing on the Stage 2 heads right now, so no word on any release date. They do, however, sell flanges for the manifolds, so you can use those and weld your own tubing.

shadowdude
07-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Yea i knew it was a rare thing but i had thought that some one here had said they were fabricating some kits up.just the manifold turbo and piping ,nothing else.oh well i will keep looking ,it is for a friend with a 89 v6 caravan.

Una
07-30-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm thinkin a nice 50 shot of nitrous on my wife's 96 3.0 van would really help it.. Merging onto the freeway, climbing hills, passing... :)

turbovanmanČ
07-31-2006, 01:20 AM
Search Ebay, I have seen kits for 3.0L pop up once in a while.

Reaper1
08-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Those e-bay kits aren't very proven by anybody I've seen on the boards and the general concensus is that thye suck and are basically a rip-off....

Buyer beware...

Frank
08-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Exactly...

shadowdude
08-07-2006, 05:35 PM
To bad,a bad feed back on e bay for those guys I guess.I am still looking ,but havent found anything for sure.I have seen a kit by these guys though,wonder if it could be used with some mods?

http://www.turbo-kits.com/galant_turbo_kits.html

Reaper1
08-08-2006, 02:45 AM
It looks like a rip off of a custom turbo set-up I've seen elsewhere in an Avenger if I'm not mistaken. It works well, but placement in our cars would require a LOT of moving things around I think based on the initial pictures I just saw. In the end just doing a kit custom that fits your car and needs will end up being less hassle and probably work better...

boost geek
08-08-2006, 08:39 PM
This one has 2 exhaust inlet ports. Would probably make an easy V6 setup.

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Here, check out this link-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Chrysler-Plymouth-Mitsubishi-3-0-V6-Turbo-Kit-T3_W0QQitemZ220015070011QQihZ012QQcategoryZ33742QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Reaper1
08-14-2006, 01:31 PM
That's the one I was reffering to. Would it work? Possibly. Would it work well...I wouldn't bet my hard earned money on it...

jre97
08-14-2006, 07:22 PM
Looks easy enough to build yourself. All you would have to do is cap off the outlet on the rear manifold and put a turbo flange on the crossover pipe. Hook up the exhaust, oil, and coolant lines. Sounds simple hmmm:rolleyes: maybe a future project for the lebaron.

Frank
08-14-2006, 07:33 PM
That's the one I was reffering to. Would it work? Possibly. Would it work well...I wouldn't bet my hard earned money on it...

Exactly! The turbo is canted which is against turbo manufacture's recommendation... plus I have never heard anything reliable since they are built on demand and rarely. Of course that is hearsay, but has been the same story for the last 2 years.

Frank

Reaper1
08-14-2006, 08:20 PM
The rear manifold is a bit more complicated than just capping it off. You have to remove the divider wall where the exhaust from the front bank would normally enter the flow coming out of the rear bank. If you don't do this you are ASKING to melt something. Also, because of the way the rear manifold is designed the flow coming out of #5 cylinfer is going to SUCK. It asctually has to turn more than 90* to get in to the crossover pipe to make it to the turbo.

Again...will it work...possibly, but I'm not betting my hard earned money on it...

shadowdude
08-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Yea ,I am on E-Bay alot and i saw that kit ,wasn,t sure if it would be right though.The reason i brought it up was that i friend of mine has a 1989 3.0V6 caravan.So i told him this would be the best palce to find out if there was any.:thumb:OK some one make a kit and become rich!! hehe

Reaper1
08-17-2006, 11:24 PM
It's been tried a few times with a 100% failier rate. Why? Simply put, 3.0 guys are even cheaper than TD guys overall. There are the few that are willing to spend some $$$$, but they are few and far in between. Those few have the resources ect. to buld their own custom kits....

Frank
08-18-2006, 07:48 AM
That galant turbo kit sounds pretty cool if you convert to a galant block and heads. Those heads are so much better then the stock SOHC dodge heads. They are worse then the 2.2/2.5L heads!

Frank

Reaper1
08-18-2006, 01:33 PM
The problem is the exhaust...We kinda have a K-frame in the way...

I'm not sure if you're spekaing of the DOHC heads or not, but if so there are a lot of other issues involved in doing that swap. If you are speaking of only the SOHC 12V heads...they are the same. If you are talking about the SOHC 24V heads, then we're back at square 1 as with the DOHC's not to mention that the cams on each bank are timed differently and cause issues when power is boosted...

shadowdude
08-19-2006, 08:20 PM
well thats ,that then ,wonder just how much HP one could get out of those 6,s anyways with out blowing the budget.?

turbovanmanČ
08-21-2006, 02:51 AM
I found this on Ebay, will this work-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Stealth-Turbo-Manifolds-3000GT-Super-Setup-combo_W0QQitemZ250019437661QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3363 1QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Frank
08-21-2006, 07:04 AM
The problem is the exhaust...We kinda have a K-frame in the way...

I'm not sure if you're spekaing of the DOHC heads or not, but if so there are a lot of other issues involved in doing that swap. If you are speaking of only the SOHC 12V heads...they are the same. If you are talking about the SOHC 24V heads, then we're back at square 1 as with the DOHC's not to mention that the cams on each bank are timed differently and cause issues when power is boosted...

The exhaust is not an issue... the downpipes can be modified and/or redone... the issue with the cam on the SOHC 24valves is solved with new cams... those heads are SO much better then the 12valves. Nothing is a complete bolt on, but there are things that can be made to work. However the cost is the real issue here... it is way cheaper to 2.5 or 2.4 things.

Frank

turbovanmanČ
08-21-2006, 12:22 PM
The exhaust is not an issue... the downpipes can be modified and/or redone... the issue with the cam on the SOHC 24valves is solved with new cams... those heads are SO much better then the 12valves. Nothing is a complete bolt on, but there are things that can be made to work. However the cost is the real issue here... it is way cheaper to 2.5 or 2.4 things.

Frank

Maybe but if I ever turbo another van, it will be a V6, why, I believe better fuel economy and performance, especially off boost power.

boost geek
08-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Theres a 24 valve v6 mopar in Pick a Part, seen it on saturday. I think it was a 3.5, sound right? I think engines are $175 there.

Reaper1
08-22-2006, 01:03 PM
The 3.5L heads won't work on a 3.0..completely different engines.

As for the exhaust from a 3Si car or the like, yeah, you *could* modify the downpipes, but there's still PS stuff in the way in the back...ect. ect...the list just grows once you actually look at it. I've thought about this quite a bit, it is just as viable to build your own.

As for the 24V-SOHC, the last time I checked(given this was a little bit ago) there still wasn't any really good offerings for cams. They're in the same boat we are! If you do solve that, then what does the timing belt issue look like(I personally don't really know).

Yes, Frank, this stuff probably CAN be done. You nailed it on the head when you put money as the leading issue. But, if money wasn't an issue, than why are we looking for turbo kits on e-bay? Why are we thinking of adaptiong parts from other cars? I personally would say screw that, and just build my own if I had the money!

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2006, 01:09 PM
What about my link, hellooooooooooooo??????????

Reaper1
08-23-2006, 02:25 AM
Simon, it looks like that is a kit for a N/A DOHC motor. What I don't like about it is that it seems like it is using a single turbo on just one bank. I think somewhere on the V6 boards this has been discussed, and some OEM does it(SAAB possibly), but it was concluded that it would throw the flow balance of the engine off and make it a royal pain to tune, if it could be done at all, and definatly make it more prone to blowing up. Again we also run in to the exaust/k-frame issue. I know there was 1 guy who did run it under the K-frame, but there was VERY little room for ground clearance afterward....

shadowdude
08-23-2006, 09:44 PM
OH well ,I was looking at Simons link ,and then Reaper 1 made a good point ...then the dream of a V6 turbo shattered .:( WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYY

Reaper1
08-24-2006, 12:44 AM
It's NOT shattered. You can turbo a 3.0(and fairly easily if you just do some careful planning and don't cut too many corners) with good success. It's been done several times now.

The dream of a bolt-on kit is what is shattered. There simply isn't a high quality direct bolt-on kit for us. The painful truth is that there may never be, but I don't think that should discourage you!

IMHO there's nothing more fun than fabricating something. And once it's done you can show it off! The best feeling of all time? When somebody asks you where you bought something or had something done, to which you can reply that YOU did it! I don't know about you, but I can't get enough of that!

turbovanmanČ
08-28-2006, 01:30 AM
It's NOT shattered. You can turbo a 3.0(and fairly easily if you just do some careful planning and don't cut too many corners) with good success. It's been done several times now.

The dream of a bolt-on kit is what is shattered. There simply isn't a high quality direct bolt-on kit for us. The painful truth is that there may never be, but I don't think that should discourage you!

IMHO there's nothing more fun than fabricating something. And once it's done you can show it off! The best feeling of all time? When somebody asks you where you bought something or had something done, to which you can reply that YOU did it! I don't know about you, but I can't get enough of that!

Exactly, :nod:

At the track, I have my hood up and I get oh's and ah's from all the fab work I have done. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, :thumb:

Ondonti
08-28-2006, 04:14 AM
That galant turbo kit sounds pretty cool if you convert to a galant block and heads. Those heads are so much better then the stock SOHC dodge heads. They are worse then the 2.2/2.5L heads!

Frank

I dont understand why you say that.

The stock sohc 6g72 heads flow more then the 2.2/2.5 heads and they have smaller cylinders to feed.

My sohc heads flow 210cfm at only 400" lift on the intake, 80% more cfm at .10" lift on back to back vs stock flowbenches.
Exhaust is 150cfm@400" which is quite decent compared to stock 100cfm.

Very few 8v TD heads are flowing more (plus they are talking .500" lifts) and I am an amateur porter just trying things I have read about and talked about with Ed Kelly. Im sure my results could easily be beat by a good porter.
Best thing was my headwork were FREE besides the valves which cost $380. Td guys spend $1500 for much less flow then I got for $380 (buying 4 more valves then TD has). Obviously there is more to HP then cfm's on a bench but thats not my point.

So, more flow and less cylinder to fill............sounds more efficient.

Ondonti
08-28-2006, 04:18 AM
No way in hell a 2.x 8v will outperform a 12v 3.0 with equal work to make the thing flow. Not even close.

The turbo kits you guys are talking about are very expensive..........and in no way reliable as far as tuning goes.

Ondonti
08-28-2006, 04:53 AM
Exactly, :nod:

At the track, I have my hood up and I get oh's and ah's from all the fab work I have done. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, :thumb::) mmmmm wish my engine bay made me feel that way rather then throwing up ;) :D
I bet you want to puke sometimes too.

Mike_Shepard
08-28-2006, 10:02 AM
unbeleivable (sp) I have seen 2 yea 2 3.0 shelby turbo motors in the last month and I have yet to take 1 freak'n pic of them WTF is my problem

Ondonti
08-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Cameras are never meant to be around when you want them.

shadowdude
08-28-2006, 10:28 PM
EGADS 2 you say Mike, ?? kewl.The V6 is in my buddies van,he was looking,now i have to tell him the updates from this post. damn!! 2 you saw AND no camera ,your are SO fired dude!!:p

Reaper1
08-31-2006, 07:19 AM
Not to say I wouldn't get excited at the chance to see one of those engines in person, but I've got enough pictures on my HD to make up for it. I suppose that if you haven't been around all that long than this is some fantastcial dream, but personally I'm not surprised. I'll bet you even saw them at the same time? I'm surprised you didn't see 3. They certainly are an interesting beast, but there's enough info out there about them and Robert is more than happy to share info...

If anythging it gives you an idea of the direction to go.