PDA

View Full Version : wont accelerate under load

J&H Ryan
01-02-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm finishing up my 89 GT, it now has a 2.2l. At first I thought the fact at it was so slow and surging because I didn't have the air charge temp sensor wired into the TII computer yet, so I put back in the TI one to see. Still does the same bucking motion while not going above 2500 RPM. No codes. Will rev up to the redline in Park with maybe a slight hesitation sometimes.

I figure it must be a fuel pump or filter as the car sat for a long time before the engine swap and I had to drain all the bad gas out. Does that make sense before I go dropping a tank?

turbovanmanČ
01-03-2006, 03:35 AM
Sounds like a bad TPS, try another known good one. Triple check MAP sensor gets manifold vacuum and the lines are good.

Whats your fuel pressure? whats the air/fuel guage say?

GLHSKEN
01-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Also sounds like classic timing issues

Subliminal
01-03-2006, 10:23 AM
My newest edition did just that. I pulled the wires to check my plugs, and one of the wire ends came off with the plug. After pulling that plug, the thing was black as night. Swapped wires and she's solid now.

Turbodave
01-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Sounds like a MAP sensor problem to me. Does it run best at 0lbs of boost and idle like garbage?

bobr19
01-03-2006, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=Turbodave]Sounds like a MAP sensor problem to me. Does it run best at 0lbs of boost and idle like garbage?[/QUOT+1--I had a MAP sensor act up, car would start--If you patted gas you could get to 2000 RPM or so--was just sure it was fuel pump--checked fuel pressure good--it finally thru a code 13 but not at first--replaced MAP and car ran better than it had in months--guess it was slowly going bad for awhile--bobr19

Dave
01-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Yah I'd check ALL ignition components and then check the TPS (maybe replace just to see :confused:) then check the MAP and barometric solenoid and all vaccums.

J&H Ryan
01-03-2006, 08:56 PM
I checked timing - that was fine. Replaced TPS. No change. looked over vac lines - looked good. Pulled fuel tank - sludge like I've never seen before. 1/4" on everything and the gas was brown. I replaced the fuel filter, I have a spare pump, and a new tank and sending unit are on the way. If that wasn't it, I'll let you guys know. It needed doing even if that wasnt the cause.

dwh4784
01-03-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm with Ken, I bet your cam is retarded.

Except for that I was about two minutes late clicking submit post:lol: ....still I would try advancing it a tooth and see what happens.

stampederunner
01-05-2006, 12:51 AM
I think I am having the same problem also. I checked my cam timing when the engine was installed, is it common for the belt to slip? If it does slip one tooth will it usually advance or retard the cam timing?

Will Martin
01-05-2006, 02:18 AM
I vote for MAP sensor.

J&H Ryan
01-05-2006, 03:31 AM
It was for sure the gas tank/pump. Got it all together today with another pump and a brand new tank. Problem solved. Overboosted, but might be some vac issues to tie up or no air temp sensor.

Thanks for the ideas tho - I did check them all out before pulling the tank.