PDA

View Full Version : 2.5" not 3" exhaust

86tona
11-07-2011, 08:53 PM
I know I can go to 3" with my Turbo Z but I'm not interested in doing that for a few reasons.

I don't want to change my swing valve.
I do have a 2.5" down pipe.
I think the 2.5" size will better match the work done to the engine which was not designed to produce more than 200 HP.

I can locate the mandrel bent pipes I need to fabricate the exhaust pipes properly and getting a high flow 2.5" cat isn't a problem. But I'm having a problem locating a replacement muffler.

I would like one that would flow better than stock and with stock mounts. I would also like it to be about the same shape and size if at all possible.

I'll be modifying the tail pipe tip to attach to the 2.5" outlet of the muffler.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can locate one or have a suggestion that would be a close match?

Force Fed Mopar
11-07-2011, 09:11 PM
You check Magnaflow?

86tona
11-07-2011, 09:20 PM
I'll check again.

Force Fed Mopar
11-07-2011, 09:28 PM
I can't remember exactly but isn't the stock muffler just long and round w/ a center outlet?

turbovanmanČ
11-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Magnaflow, Ultraflo all make a muffler, so does any muffler manufacterer but you'll have to put your own mounts on.

86tona
11-07-2011, 09:46 PM
The output is centerd but the inlet is offset with a bracket on the outlet side where the rubber 'mount' is bolted. The output is centerd but the inlet is offset.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Magnaflow, Ultraflo all make a muffler, so does any muffler manufacterer but you'll have to put your own mounts on.

Round with offset in/out and 2.5"? I'll check it out.

Force Fed Mopar
11-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Magnaflow actually doesn't make a round muffler w/ an offset in/center out. I'm finding a Gibson round 2.5" w/ offset in/center out, not sure if it's really still available though as I don't see it on Gibson's site. Are you dead set on a round muffler?

turbovanmanČ
11-08-2011, 01:55 AM
Round with offset in/out and 2.5"? I'll check it out.

You can't get a round or a small round with offset inlet/outlets. I have put a small Oval Magnaflow in an L body, no issues. Offset and center inlet/outlets.

GLHNSLHT2
11-08-2011, 01:59 AM
The FWDP 2.5" kit with the round center center 2.5" magnaflow they sell fit like a glove on my buddies Lebaron. We just welded the stock mounts we cut off the stock exhaust onto the 2.5" pipe and onto the rear of the muffler. Fits like a glove. I'll try and take some pics next time I see the car.

Egodriver71
11-08-2011, 09:09 AM
I've run a 2.5" oval MagnaFlow previously and now a 3" oval MagnaFlow on a Shelby Lancer.

It has a very similar muffler are to the Daytona. I run the offset on one side and the center on the other. On the Lancer I use the offest as the inlet and offset it to the outside of the car. And the center is the outlet.

When I took the 2.5" off the Lancer, I put it onto a Spirit R/T and just reversed the muffler. Center in and offset out with the offset to the outside of the car.

Force Fed Mopar
11-08-2011, 09:11 AM
I would think an offset/offset would work too, seems like that would tuck up nicely. But I agree, I have a center/center round Ultraflo and it fits the Daytona good.

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

I've run a 2.5" oval MagnaFlow previously and now a 3" oval MagnaFlow on a Shelby Lancer.

It has a very similar muffler are to the Daytona. I run the offset on one side and the center on the other. On the Lancer I use the offest as the inlet and offset it to the outside of the car. And the center is the outlet.

When I took the 2.5" off the Lancer, I put it onto a Spirit R/T and just reversed the muffler. Center in and offset out with the offset to the outside of the car.

Can you reverse those mufflers? Most are made to only flow properly one way.

86tona
11-08-2011, 09:38 AM
The primary purpose for the Turbo Z is to show it. Sure it make a bit more power than stock but it's important to try keep it as stock as 'possible' though simple modifications would be fine. I would like to stay with a round muffler for those judges who happen to know the difference though it isn't all that big a deal as long as you can't see it from behind and all you see is the tail pipe tip.

All of your input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Force Fed Mopar
11-08-2011, 09:49 AM
In that case then, I would use an offset/offset round muffler. That way the inlet can go at the top and give some extra clearance over the axle/panhard, and the exit will be at the bottom, allowing the muffler to stay stuffed up as close to the floor as stock and the tip will be the main visible piece.

Egodriver71
11-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Can you reverse those mufflers? Most are made to only flow properly one way.

MagnaFlows have no direction to them.

Mudman
11-11-2011, 08:23 PM
I have a round 2.5" MagnaFLow on my Lancer Shelby, center/center. Had it done at a muffler shop as I never had the opportunity to learn welding. However, it works perfectly and caused no problems as far as fitting. Good tone too, I am all around pleased with my MagnaFlow.