PDA

View Full Version : Those cheap electric stabilzers work.

turbovanmanČ
11-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Well, lol, due to my UD pulley, the voltage kinda drops off at idle and jumps around, so I figured for $10, I don't really have anything to lose, guess it paid off. I installed it yesterday and wow, I had to turn DOWN my dash lights. I had bought superbright LED's as the dash was too dim and now I don't have too, crap, :banghead:, lol. Every light seems brighter and the voltage doesn't dip at idle, its kinda weird.

Anyhow, thought I'd share. :eyebrows:

BadAssPerformance
11-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Never heard of them.. link?

turbovanmanČ
11-06-2011, 07:43 PM
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1311&_nkw=voltage+stabilizer&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I got this one-

http://stores.ebay.com/DriftEffects/_i.html?_nkw=voltage+stabilizer+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=voltage+sabilizer&_sid=483349165&_rdc=1

BadAssPerformance
11-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Wierd... What is it?

and LOL, did you put minivan or hatchback? and why does that matter?

Please email us the following information after auction end:
1. Your car model, year, 4door/2door/hatchback/etc.
2. full name
3. Shipping address
4. contact PHONE NUMBER (required for shipping purposes only)

shayne
11-06-2011, 09:22 PM
snake oil, your imagining things simon... who'da thunk your van would accept some japanese technology without bursting into flames..
lol

turbovanmanČ
11-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Wierd... What is it?

and LOL, did you put minivan or hatchback? and why does that matter?

I bid on the $7.50 one and won, didn't have to input anything, lol.

Google it, but to me, its a giant storage cell, as when I connected it then disconnected it, it would still light up the LED for a minute or so.

My customers 05 Sorrento would pop the headlights every few months, KIA had no fix, someone suggested putting something like this on, hasn't blown any since, and its been years. Apparantly its a common issue for Sorrento's.

snake oil, your imagining things simon... who'da thunk your van would accept some japanese technology without bursting into flames..
lol

LOL, I'll show you tomorrow, my dash was so dim, now, I have to turn it down. And at idle with everything on, no more SES light.

john1320
11-09-2011, 09:25 PM
- most likely is just a storage capacitor, similar to what I used on my older huge amplified stereo systems, just smaller & cheaper. Hey, the main thing is.. it works, and all is right in the world of Simon :nod:

turbovanmanČ
11-09-2011, 09:29 PM
- most likely is just a storage capacitor, similar to what I used on my older huge amplified stereo systems, just smaller & cheaper. Hey, the main thing is.. it works, and all is right in the world of Simon :nod:

That's exactly what it is. Other day, a/c on, fan on, lights on, brakes on, no CEL light and voltage above the bad mark, lol.

Hey, for $12, you can't go wrong, unless it burns down, then crap, :banghead:

Force Fed Mopar
11-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Hmm, interesting. Where does it go? In the alternator feed, main power for the interior...???

turbovanmanČ
11-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Hmm, interesting. Where does it go? In the alternator feed, main power for the interior...???

On the battery, positive and neg terminals.

raccoon
11-09-2011, 10:17 PM
neat guess you just added a cell to your battery.

Murphy
11-09-2011, 11:47 PM
cool, I might have to try it out, the UDP gets kinda annoying when i have on the heat, headlights, defroster, wipers, radio, etc. at idle

turbodaytona87
11-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Take it apart and show us what's inside

turbovanmanČ
11-10-2011, 03:10 AM
cool, I might have to try it out, the UDP gets kinda annoying when i have on the heat, headlights, defroster, wipers, radio, etc. at idle

I need a cut on sales on these things, lol.

Take it apart and show us what's inside

Maybe one day, not now.

tryingbe
11-10-2011, 09:10 AM
I bet there are capacitors in side of it.

marcus5065
11-10-2011, 11:03 AM
whats that story about the goose that laid the golden egg? I'm sure there are more in there...:lol:

zin
11-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Looks like the Accuvolt from Jacob's Electronics... It's basically a transformer that will pull current (amps) to make voltage. It a great idea, something that should be standard in every car as far as I'm concerned!

I'm sure it has some caps inside to help buffer things, but there is more to it than that, assuming it's a Chinese knock off of the Jabob's unit.

Mike

PS Simon, the Jacob's unit was adjustable for output voltage. Are these as well?

turbovanmanČ
11-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Not adjustable.

I/we know its a capacitor of some sort because as I mentioned, the LED blinks for like a minute after you disconnect it.

Still can't believe how something so cheap works, lol.

Force Fed Mopar
11-10-2011, 07:53 PM
How long is it gonna work though...

turbovanmanČ
11-10-2011, 07:56 PM
How long is it gonna work though...

I'll report if it fails, :eyebrows:

black86glhs
11-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Still can't believe how something so cheap works, lol.Your a prime example of that statement!!!!!!

:lol::lol::p

turbovanmanČ
11-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Your a prime example of that statement!!!!!!

:lol::lol::p

Wow, :faint:

black86glhs
11-10-2011, 08:43 PM
You know I'm just busting your beans.:nod:

Force Fed Mopar
11-10-2011, 08:49 PM
I'll report if it fails, :eyebrows:

I see a "*%$#^% $7.30 voltage stabilizer left me stranded today" thread in the future...

Vigo
11-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Looks like the Accuvolt from Jacob's Electronics... It's basically a transformer that will pull current (amps) to make voltage.

Id be pleasantly surprised if you could get something like that for $10..

turbovanmanČ
11-10-2011, 09:23 PM
I see a "*%$#^% $7.30 voltage stabilizer left me stranded today" thread in the future...

Hahaha, most likely, :eyebrows:

zin
11-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Not adjustable.

I/we know its a capacitor of some sort because as I mentioned, the LED blinks for like a minute after you disconnect it.

I'm sure it has capacitors in it, I was thinking that it was also using a solid state rectifier/regulator as well, but seeing how it hooks-up, it's not quite like the Accuvolt, but seems to do basically the same thing...

Only thing that bothers me a bit it the fact it's hooking-up to both sides of the battery, so it has potential to short it out, and with that many amps to work with, could induce Car-B-Q... Hopefully it has proper fuseable links, etc.

Mike

black86glhs
11-10-2011, 09:40 PM
I would think he is smart enough to put a fuse or CB on the B+ wire of the voltage thingy.......I hope he is.

Force Fed Mopar
11-10-2011, 09:43 PM
I would think he is smart enough to put a fuse or CB on the B+ wire of the voltage thingy.......I hope he is.

Dude... it's Simon...

lol sorry man, had to :D

black86glhs
11-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Knew if i said it...........

:lol::lol:

turbovanmanČ
11-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Geez, no respect today, :mecry:

The way I see it, a fuse won't do squat if it melts down, but maybe a breaker would be a better idea.

Force Fed Mopar
11-10-2011, 11:21 PM

Dude... it's Simon...

lol sorry man, had to :D

Knew if i said it...........

:lol::lol:

Geez, no respect today, :mecry:

The way I see it, a fuse won't do squat if it melts down, but maybe a breaker would be a better idea.

Your hopes were in vain, he doesn't have any safety measures installed....

MiniMopar
11-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Heh...those things. They are a bank of capacitors. They actually aren't all that big, but they don't have to be. Are you sure your alternator doesn't have a dead diode/winding?

If anyone cares about the nitty gritty: they work because they can bridge the gap between the pulses coming from the alternator. The alternator doesn't put out a steady voltage at all. It's a series of current pulses that come and go as the diodes and armature inside switch between coils. Those get smoothed-out by your battery and by the electrical loads of the car (which is why it's a really bad idea to run a car without a battery). The problem is, a lead acid battery can't store a charge higher than its cell voltages: 12.6V. So your line voltage kind of buzzes between 14.something and 12.something volts, depending on the engine RPMs. The lower the RPM, the longer those gaps between pulses are. Capacitors can hold whatever charge they are exposed to (up to their rated maximum), so they will discharge at the highest voltage they can achieve. I guess I can see why an UD pulley would make this worse.

BTW, heat shortens the life of electrolytic caps and they don't really generate any heat of their own (if they do they are probably about to explode). I say that because it's pretty stupid to put them in a finned aluminum housing. It will just pick-up the ambient heat from under the hood faster, but I guess it gives it a look of quality. It's ironic that this cheap thing made in China would be better off in a plastic box. :p

Sorry about the rant...had an argument about these with somebody at work recently.... ;)

turbovanmanČ
11-11-2011, 01:01 AM
What rant? That was a great explanation, I kinda figured something like that.

Nothing wrong with my charging system, its just the UD pulley and all the accessories on at idle or around 1100 rpm drop the voltage too low, :(

turbovanmanČ
12-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Thought I'd update a bit more, still doing its job and then some. The only time my CEL came on was after being stuck in traffic for 45 mins, idling, a/c on, fan on #3 out of 4 settings, lights, wipers etc on, I guess it discharged enough and once in awhile, the voltage would drop. So far, pretty amazed, :nod:

RoadWarrior222
12-02-2011, 11:43 PM
I've got a capacitor the size of a mini can of coke I keep meaning to hook up, I think it's a quarter of a Farad... (250,000uF) .... supposedly it can get you better gas mileage too because your sensor readings are steadier.

glhs0426
12-04-2011, 12:47 AM
I put one on my Magnum and it has helped the headlamps/dashlamps flicker very little.

i.e. very little improvement.

turbovanmanČ
12-04-2011, 01:34 AM
I put one on my Magnum and it has helped the headlamps/dashlamps flicker very little.

What type, the same one I used or something else?

glhs0426
12-04-2011, 08:05 AM
What type, the same one I used or something else?

Same thing. The Magnum/300 have a known issue with lights flickering. It didn't help this one. We are putting it on my friends Beetle to see if he can get more than 45 days out of headlamp bulbs. It will pop one every 1 1/2 months.

turbovanmanČ
12-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Same thing. The Magnum/300 have a known issue with lights flickering. It didn't help this one. We are putting it on my friends Beetle to see if he can get more than 45 days out of headlamp bulbs. It will pop one every 1 1/2 months.

Gotcha, guess every vehicle is different.

Sounds like my customers Kia, :banghead:

Vigo
12-05-2011, 04:26 PM

Damn, i just came back in here after driving my Magnum with the flickering lights (my fiancee says im crazy..i think she's blind!), so that's kind of a letdown that it doesn't work.

On the other hand, im really glad you posted.. saves me time and money! Do you know a WORKING solution?

RoadWarrior222
12-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Well vigo, just take a couple of decent sized caps with long leads, something like 2200uF 16V and jam them in the sockets across the bulbs see if it cures it there... won't take very long if you've got the bits.

Vigo
12-05-2011, 05:34 PM
I could probably borrow a giant stereo-system capacitor from a buddy (remember those things?) and try that out.

glhs0426
12-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Damn, i just came back in here after driving my Magnum with the flickering lights (my fiancee says im crazy..i think she's blind!), so that's kind of a letdown that it doesn't work.

On the other hand, im really glad you posted.. saves me time and money! Do you know a WORKING solution?

Working on it slowly. The wife reluctantly lets me drive it now and again. Also working on a tension strut bushing replacement.