PDA

View Full Version : 87 dodge shelby charger

wowzer
11-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Is the 1987 dodge charger shelby the same as the shelby glhs? I'm confused on what I read about it. Does the 2.2T2 that it comes with use the forged crank or did shelby just leave the cast crank?

Force Fed Mopar
11-04-2011, 06:04 PM
No there is a Shelby Charger, and a Shelby Charger GLHS. Neither has a forged crank from the factory. Shelby Charger came with a regular T1 log engine, GLHS had the same engine except with the T2 intake and intercooler system bolted on.

TurboMinivan
11-04-2011, 08:17 PM
No there is a Shelby Charger, and a Shelby Charger GLHS. Neither has a forged crank from the factory. Shelby Charger came with a regular T1 log engine, GLHS had the same engine except with the T2 intake and intercooler system bolted on.

This is all correct. For more info, check these two pages:

http://www.dempseybowling.com/sheldodg/sheldod1.htm
http://www.dempseybowling.com/sheldodg/sheldod4.htm

Hope that helps.

wowzer
11-04-2011, 08:40 PM
sure does help. i had checked wikipedia as well as some of the other mopar sites and couldn't quite figure out who bought what,when and how many!! don't know how i missed dempsey's site. failed basic search class!

Egodriver71
11-09-2011, 09:09 AM
All of the 'true' Shelby's were TI to TII conversions done by swapping the head.

The only exceptions to this are the CSX-T's as they were unmodified because of warranty concerns and the CSX-VNT which even though was an `89, used an `88 TII longblock with the VNT bolted to it.

Rootjack
10-04-2014, 09:49 PM
The Shelby Charger in 87 was offered in black/silver and burgundy/silver. The GLHS was all black with the inter cooler. I have a burgundy/silver I bought new in 1986 and am restoring at this time, but a having issues finding the right fuel pump tank combo for fuel injection. I am hoping to have her back on the road in a couple of months. Engine has been rebuilt because it threw the #1 bearing and that's why I parked it at the time 1(1993)and didn't have the means to fix it then but sure wish I did. I have the interior stripped out of it and repairing the sun damaged interior sail panels. A lot of labor and lots of love going back into her.