PDA

View Full Version : n/a 2.4L in a GLH...Questions

strang3majik
11-03-2011, 11:40 PM
I've been thinking...for the cost of completley rebuilding my 2.2, I could probably get a 2.4L out of the junkyard and just re-ring/bearing it, and put it in my GLH. It would be kept n/a, whether fuel injected or carbureated, Idk. But...

All I have read has been about swapping a turboed motor. Whats involved in a n/a 2.4l swap?

Would it bolt to the 525? What clutch/flywheel would I use?

Do I just need to get the passenger's side mount? And use that custom made Neon one thats mentioned in the 2.4 swap thread?

Also, should a 2.4L header fit in the L-body? Any other issues I'll run into?

cordes
11-03-2011, 11:50 PM
I bet rebuilding the 2.2 will appear cheaper and cheaper the more you look into this. If that's not the case I'll be happy to hear it though.

135sohc
11-04-2011, 12:02 AM
A 2.2 (in stock form) can kill the a525... Do you really want to see how fast the 2.4 can do the same ? :confused:

turbovanmanČ
11-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Its going to cost more than you think but if your looking for more power, then go for it, just don't expect it be cheap. I wouldn't use the stock 525, but bolt up one of the stronger tranny's or use the Neon one, will be easier as you don't have to fab up the missing dowel on the TD tranny.

strang3majik
11-04-2011, 01:34 AM
Well, my 2.2 needs bored, not sure how much, but, its cutting it close using the stock pistons. If I have to buy pistons, then thats just out of the question. Plus, the crank was scored up a little bit and needs turned, which can get pricey.

All in all...

a 2.4 can be had at the local pick'n'pulls for about $250 complete with accessories. I'm sure I can find a decent low mileage car to get the motor out of that hasn't been to beaten.

I have a 555, and since I'd be going through the trouble of swapping motors...I could go through the trouble of making that work in the Omni as well.

But...is it possible to make a distributor work with the 2.4??? Say, if someone wanted to make one carbuerated :)

And...it'll be n/a...I can't imagine it'd kill the 525 too bad. I mean, the GLHS's had more power than the 2.4 is rated at, and they were fine.

strang3majik
11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
bringing it back from the wee hours of the morning :)

turbovanmanČ
11-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Yes, you can use a dizzy, check out "rbryant", he makes adapters.

As for the 555, you need to get a dowel welded on, I think "turboshad" has the info you need.

rbryant
11-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Yes, you can use a dizzy, check out "rbryant", he makes adapters.

As for the 555, you need to get a dowel welded on, I think "turboshad" has the info you need.

There was a KC article on using the 555/568 with the SRT4 engine that shows the added boss on the bellhousing. Note that the newer style 2.4 blocks have a lot more interference with the starter than the older ones did.

I should probably port my old KC articles over to the new system when I get time.

I do have distributor adapters in stock. :)

-Rich

ATaylorRacing
11-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Just do like I did with Matchbox...stick in a 91 or newer common block 2.5 and leave the BS in it....VERY smooth and nearly a full second quicker over the old worn out tall block 2.5. You will need to rejet the carb too, to a 404 on both secondary and primary side to not go lean when flat out!