PDA

View Full Version : Gasket for rear main seal retainer?

Turbo_Rampage
07-23-2006, 11:30 PM
Hey, I have the motor and trans out of my Rampage for the T2 conversion, and new clutch, and i was wondering what i should do for the rear main seal retainer.. Is their a gasket for it? ..if so should i use one? Are can i just use Anearobic sealer metal to metal? The reason i have to remove the retainer (and oil pan) is because i have to fix a stripped flywheel bolt.

Thanks

iTurbo
07-24-2006, 12:02 AM
I always use the Mopar Gasketmaker (red anaerobic). Never had a problem with it.

Turbo_Rampage
07-24-2006, 12:12 AM
I always use the Mopar Gasketmaker (red anaerobic). Never had a problem with it.

Thanks for the reply. I bought a bottle of permatex gasket maker anearobic sealer (red) So their is no need for a gasket?

Thanks

Dave
07-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Yes, there is a gasket there. Remove the bolts that hold the retainer to the block. Once it's out you'll see the pentagon looking retainer, but there is a circular gasket in the middle of it, you'll see the indentation. What I did is put the retainer in my vice and pounded the hell out of the gasket's actual retainer. Use a dead blow and a punch to remove it. Tap on one side then work on the other. Hit all 4 corners equally until it's out.

Once the gasket retainer is out you should be able to remove and replace the other gasket. Now when reinstalling it you should put Anerobic sealer on the outside of this retainer. THE ROUND RETAINER ONLY - ON THE OUTSIDE OF IT! Only put it there, and only use Anerobic sealer. It's expensive but working on cars never has been cheap. Okay got a grip on yourself? Good, now try and place the gasket retainer into the actual retainer itself. Just use your hands at this point - no tools. Get a block of wood and grab the deadblow. Now place the wood, it helps a lot if it's in the morning, on top of the retainer and beat it in. Once that's in just reinstall everything and bolt it up.

When reinstalling the retainer itself the lip going around the crank might give you sh*t, I just took a small flat head and worked the lip around the crank. Be careful as to not tear it.

Hope that helped! :thumb: Am I on my way to becoming the next Donovan? :eyebrows: Ey, ey?

Turbo_Rampage
07-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Yes, there is a gasket there. Remove the bolts that hold the retainer to the block. Once it's out you'll see the pentagon looking retainer, but there is a circular gasket in the middle of it, you'll see the indentation. What I did is put the retainer in my vice and pounded the hell out of the gasket's actual retainer. Use a dead blow and a punch to remove it. Tap on one side then work on the other. Hit all 4 corners equally until it's out.

Once the gasket retainer is out you should be able to remove and replace the other gasket. Now when reinstalling it you should put Anerobic sealer on the outside of this retainer. THE ROUND RETAINER ONLY - ON THE OUTSIDE OF IT! Only put it there, and only use Anerobic sealer. It's expensive but working on cars never has been cheap. Okay got a grip on yourself? Good, now try and place the gasket retainer into the actual retainer itself. Just use your hands at this point - no tools. Get a block of wood and grab the deadblow. Now place the wood, it helps a lot if it's in the morning, on top of the retainer and beat it in. Once that's in just reinstall everything and bolt it up.

When reinstalling the retainer itself the lip going around the crank might give you sh*t, I just took a small flat head and worked the lip around the crank. Be careful as to not tear it.

Hope that helped! :thumb: Am I on my way to becoming the next Donovan? :eyebrows: Ey, ey?

Ok i am a bit confused, LOL. You are saying to put anerobic sealer around the rear main seal outer steel lip? You are also saying their is a gasket for the rear main seal retainer (the aluminium peice that bolts to the block and holds the seal) If their is a gasket, what should i use for a sealer on the gasket? RTV? Anerobic? I am removing the oil pan to clean the filings from drilling and tapping the flywheel bolt hole so installing the retainer shouldnt be a problem, :thumb:

I remember when i pulled the intermediate shaft out of my motor to reset the distributer timing, i just used anerobic sealer on the retainer, and i havent had any problems with leaks. (my tear down gasket set even came with a gasket for the intermediate shaft retainer, but i never used it) Could i just use anerobic sealer on the rear main seal retainer without the gasket? I think i have that gasket, but i dont know where i put it..

Thanks for the help!

1985ShlbyChrger
07-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Yes, there is a gassket like around the intermediate shaft retainer. It actually uses the same material, and you can use anaerobic sealer on it. I would also put the anaerobic sealer around the outside of the actual main seal. It will help prevent leaks from around the edges.

Nate

Turbo_Rampage
07-24-2006, 01:08 AM
Yes, there is a gassket like around the intermediate shaft retainer. It actually uses the same material, and you can use anaerobic sealer on it. I would also put the anaerobic sealer around the outside of the actual main seal. It will help prevent leaks from around the edges.

Nate

Do you think that gasket is actually "needed"? I think it would seal better with just anerobic sealer metel to metal.. right? (i also found the gasket)

What are your guys thoughts on this? Gasket.. are no gasket?

Thanks

iTurbo
07-24-2006, 01:08 AM
Well I never used the gasket. Just a small bead of red anaerobic and bolt the thing on to 105 in/lbs.

EDIT: I don't use the gaskets for the intermediate shaft seal retainer, front seal retainer, or rear seal retainer; just the anaerobic. Never a problem. I always just pound the rear main seal into the retainer dry, no problem..I think the paint that is on the outer circumfirence of the seal is actually a sealant, not really sure.

Turbo_Rampage
07-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Well I never used the gasket. Just a small bead of red anaerobic and bolt the thing on to 105 in/lbs.

Thanks for the torque specs! So i have one vote for not using the gasket.. has anyone else out their ran without the gasket?

Dave
07-24-2006, 01:24 AM
I threw the gasket away. Don't use it. Just put the Anerobic sealer on the round portion of the retainer. But on the outer edge of the retainer. That's the only part where I used the sealer.

Sorry for the confusion, it's hard to explain without showing you the part. It's been a few months since I replaced it.

Turbo_Rampage
07-24-2006, 01:30 AM
I threw the gasket away. Don't use it. Just put the Anerobic sealer on the round portion of the retainer. But on the outer edge of the retainer. That's the only part where I used the sealer.

So thats two votes on not using the retainer gasket, :thumb: I guess i am tossing that gasket in the garbage..

Sorry for the confusion, it's hard to explain without showing you the part. It's been a few months since I replaced it.

No problem!

Thanks everyone for the help. I hope to have my Rampage back on the road in two weeks.. if everything goes as planned. (i can only work on it on the weekends)

GLHSKEN
07-24-2006, 01:59 AM
No, there is no need for a gasket. It comes with the rerainer, but factory was mopar anaerobic sealer. You will not have an issue if yoiu use it.

Dave
07-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Oh, lol I meant the gasket is the Anerobic sealer on the retainer itself. Ha, it was a little last night. Give me a break, I just pulled the head! :D