PDA

View Full Version : 1.22 Transfer gear spacers: The hookup!

R/T
10-31-2011, 11:26 AM
I have the answer:

McMaster-Carr Part Number 5906K526 - Bronze thrust bearing, 1.50" ID / 2.50" OD .125" thick $2.96 EACH!! :hail:

Stack 2 of these and the spacing seems to be perfect, or at least close enough. :eyebrows:

I ground 2 flats on them for the threaded hole clearance.

I also used a later model nut retainer on the lower gear as the threads on the 30mm nut don't fully mesh on the shaft.

The system will be torture tested this Saturday at TurboPalooza.... :thumb:

Vigo
10-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Very cool.

Those later-model retainers are a good idea for anybody. Ive seen several trannies that had noise that turned out to be the gear backing off and rubbing the side cover.

If anyone wants to use those retainers they also need to grab the later cover that is clearanced for them.

Thanks for posting up this info!

turbovanmanČ
10-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Great info, :nod:

zin
10-31-2011, 03:05 PM
Very nice indeed!

Mike

R/T
10-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Very cool.

Those later-model retainers are a good idea for anybody. Ive seen several trannies that had noise that turned out to be the gear backing off and rubbing the side cover.

If anyone wants to use those retainers they also need to grab the later cover that is clearanced for them.

Thanks for posting up this info!

I was going to use the top retainer also, but when I put the newer clearanced cover on the 88 trans there was one bolt that did'nt quite line up...???

Did newer cases have a different casting, the parts I used came from a 94 413....

Vigo
10-31-2011, 05:55 PM
I have never run into that problem...

guhfluh
09-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Can't believe I missed this! That seems to be a cheap and easy way to get this done, but what do you use for the other shims/spacer now, to set the new bearing preload? Do the other(stock?) shims contact the bearing inner race or the nose of the transfer gear to set the bearing preload(gotta be one or the other to keep the bearing load off the outer race)?

guhfluh
09-11-2012, 03:27 PM
I measured my 1.22 pinion shaft transfer gear, and because the bearing is still on it, the measurements aren't as exact as they could be, but it looks as if McMaster Carr #5906K523 may work for the other spacer. It is a 1"ID x 1.5"OD x 1/8" washer. It depends on the exact measurement of the pinion shaft OD(close to 1") and the transfer gear bearing ID(close to 1.5") and if that is where the spacer is needed to ride(inside the bearing and shouldering on the hub of the transfer gear). I'm also slightly concerned with the compressibility of the bronze Oilite bushing and wonder if a harder material would be preferred(they are also offered)?

Someone had mentioned that they used an old bearing inner race and had it machined, but to what dimensions I don't know. There were other posts about using the torque of the locknut to set bearing preload, but that is incorrect. If someone could answer where the inner shim needs to shoulder, I'd be much obliged.

guhfluh
09-13-2012, 03:59 PM
FWIW, the stock spacer shim contacts the nose of the hub on the transfer gear only and not the inner bearing race. It is 1.050" ID and I forget the OD, but believe it's around 1.3"

I believe I am going to try the 5906K523 thrust washers from McMaster I posted above. At $0.80ea, it's worth a try.

guhfluh
09-30-2012, 03:49 PM
I got both thrust washer sizes in, and neither are a perfect fit. The larger ones stated in the original post, to space the bearing on the gear have too small of an ID to sit flush on the gear because of the chamfer/radius on the gear. The ID of the bottom thrust washer has to be chamfered to match the contour of the gear. The washer on top of it is fine, as it sits above the chamfer.

The smaller size washers that are needed to set the bearing preload are too large on the OD and too small on the ID. The ID is very close and only about .007" or so too small. The OD is about .010" too big, but I removed a little more to be sure . I first used a 1" expandable rubber freeze plug chucked in my drill and expanded to fit snug in the ID of the washer and "turned" the OD down with some 40grit sand paper stuck on some wood. I later found that my die grinder worked better than the drill and the concrete garage floor worked better than the sand paper:) For the ID, I found a tapered cone grinding stone for my die grinder that was right above 1"OD and enlarged the washers slowly with it, swapping sides of the washer as I went, until it fit easily on the pinion shaft all the way.

So, bottom line is both will work, but need a little massaging to do so.

My other issue was getting the dang bearing off of the 1.22 gear...ended up cutting it off with a cutoff wheel and nicked the gear hub some. UGH!

guhfluh
10-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Chamfered ID of bottom thrust washer
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn391/guhfluh/ECB63BD4-2891-49E5-94D8-6FF4E84144A8-97-0000001A8100489C.jpg

Chamfered ID vs stock ID Blurry though:(
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn391/guhfluh/7CA7D316-0AF8-4BA1-882B-15DD03C125FD-97-0000001A88960215.jpg