PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With My Brakes!!

Force Fed Mopar
01-02-2006, 07:57 PM
I just did a Minivan front caliper/non-vented rear disc conversion on my GLHS Saturday, and I can't get my pedal feel back. First with the original drum brake master cyl and proportioning valve, then the next day with the disc brake master and p-valve off my 89 Lebaron. It's a lot better with the disc brake stuff, but not good. Also have brand new front calipers now too, and still can't get the pedal to come up right.

One pump with engine off brings the pedal up and feels good and hard, but as soon as I crank it up it goes mushy, have to pump it several time to get just decent pedal feel. 3rd pump while driving it feels okay but not near what it should be. First pump isn't good at all, stops but not hard, and the 3rd or 4th pump will stop decent but not even as good as the drum setup was.

We bled and bled, went through a bottle and a half of brake fluid. Is it possible that I still have some air somewhere, or could both the masters I have went bad? Oh and we bled them in sequence, RR LR RF LF. Also have new pads all round and stainless steel braided brake lines in the front.

This is my only ride at the moment, I need to get this fixed.

turbovanmanČ
01-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Sounds like you have air or a bad master cylinder. How was the master on the 89 Lebaron before you took it off? Was it dry or full of fluid, the MC that is?

How are bleeding it? I get a clear jar and fill a bit of new brake fluid in the bottom. Hook up a hose to the bleeder then the other end in the jar. Have buddy hold the pedal down-then open the bleeder. Close the bleeder and have buddy get off the peddle. Does this a couple times then open the bleeder and have him pump it until you see no air or super clean fluid. Then have him hold the brake pedal down and close the bleeder. Repeat on all corners. OF course, don't let the fluid run dry in the MC or you will have to start again.

Force Fed Mopar
01-02-2006, 10:17 PM
I did all that. Also the master was full of fluid in the Lebaron when I pulled it off.

I think I just figured out what it is though. I think I has the rear calipers mixed up, on opposites sides. This puts the bleed screws at the bottom of the piston, below the brake line inlet, rather than at the top of the piston, above the brake line inlet. Which, I think, will trap air in the piston, and probably the line too. Stupid me:o :censored: I just noticed it while looking at a pic of Omnious' rear discs and Konis.

turbovanmanČ
01-02-2006, 10:26 PM
I did all that. Also the master was full of fluid in the Lebaron when I pulled it off.

I think I just figured out what it is though. I think I has the rear calipers mixed up, on opposites sides. This puts the bleed screws at the bottom of the piston, below the brake line inlet, rather than at the top of the piston, above the brake line inlet. Which, I think, will trap air in the piston, and probably the line too. Stupid me:o :censored: I just noticed it while looking at a pic of Omnious' rear discs and Konis.

Doh, well aren't you mister stupid, :nod: :cheer2: hahahhaa