PDA

View Full Version : Used SRT-4 Value

Turbo224
10-27-2011, 10:21 PM
So I am going to take a look an an SRT-4 tomorrow for a new daily driver. Its a silver 04 thats 100% stock. It has 50K miles on it with a rebuilt title. What would you guys estimate the value of this car to be? I have never been a huge SRT-4 fan, but I need a commuter car that gets good gas mileage and is somewhat enjoyable to drive.

dodgeshadowchik
10-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Rebuilt title? No more than $6500; and that's even high.
There's a few down here in South Florida that are under $6000 right now; with salvage titles.

here's some to give you an idea of price ranges
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/2672094127.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/2655207423.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/2638009300.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto/2668537483.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ctd/2663013116.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/2667110270.html

If it had a clean title, they range anywhere from 7000 to 14,000 still. Saw a commemorative edition one at a crack-head price of $25k. LOL

glhs727
10-27-2011, 11:58 PM
yes, I would say $5-6K. Srt-4's aren't bringing much money anymore. You can get some decent ones with a couple of mods and clean titles for about $7-8K. Just don't buy one from a dealer. Everytime I hear some outrageous price someone paid, it was always from a dealership....

rich tideswell
10-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Saw a commemorative edition one at a crack-head price of $25k. LOL

:faint:watch it..........

Keito
10-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Wasn't that one like #1 or something?

Turbo224
10-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I was expecting the value to be a little higher just because it's all stock and has low miles, but I guess not. Im going to take a look at it today and see what it looks like.

Keito
10-28-2011, 11:47 AM
If it was all stock, I would be willing to pay more, but definatly not with a rebuilt title.

black86glhs
10-28-2011, 06:14 PM
I would want to know why it has the rebuilt title and be able to take it to a body shop and have them look at it.

Turbo224
10-29-2011, 01:32 PM
So, I test drove this car yesterday and had quite the experience. The guy showed up 3 hours late, so by the time he got there, I was not in the best of moods. The first thing I notice is the car has neon green wheels. Ugh. So he gets out of the car and we talk a little bit before I look it over. He says his friend used to own it and got rear ended which is why the car was totaled. Sure enough I start looking at the back of the car and I can tell the trunk and rear bumper had been replaced. The quarter panels looked good, no bondo that I could find. I looked under the car and there was no structural damage either. So far, so good I guess. I was actually pretty impressed with the exterior of the car. No dents or dings or anything, and it even had a carbon fiber hood that had been painted silver. I open the door to take a look inside and the overwhelming aroma of pot hits me in the face and there's a bottle of jack daniels sitting on the floor. At that point, I didn't even want to get in the car. So he finally asks me if I want to take it for a spin. After a long pause I finally decided, what the hell. As long as the bottle of Jack doesn't stay in the car I may as well see how it drives. To sum it up, the clutch was shot, the transmission was grinding, the car didn't want to idle, and there was an obvious boost leak. Needles to say, I was very disappointed.

Polygon
10-29-2011, 04:15 PM
This is half the reason I had to go out of state to get mine. All I could find were cars that were trashed or people that wanted 2-3k more than loan value for their cars. I can't believe he would show up with a bottle of Jack in the car, what a douche.

rich tideswell
10-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Must have been a hard 50k to wear out a clutch that soon

offer him $4000, and tell him it's your best and final offer. Once it's in your possession, fumigate the pot smell, repaint the wheels, fix the boost leak (which might solve the idle issue) and start gathering parts for a trans overhaul. Plan on a brake job too at that mileage.

Polygon
10-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Or, you could just spend that money on a car that doesn't have those problems. I bet it would cost less. It sure would be less headache. Plus, who knows what other problems are lurking. If the clutch is worn that quickly, I don't imagine the engine is in great shape. Personally, I wouldn't touch that car regardless of price.

dodgeshadowchik
10-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Bummer. But yeah.. alas such is the fate of a high percentage of SRT4's.

Mopar318
10-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Its a good thing though, because it makes it easy to find parts for 1g swaps.

J&H Ryan
10-30-2011, 04:21 PM
I sold one last year for $7500 with a salvage title. Course it was top notch, but it can happen.

rich tideswell
10-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Or, you could just spend that money on a car that doesn't have those problems. I bet it would cost less. It sure would be less headache. Plus, who knows what other problems are lurking. If the clutch is worn that quickly, I don't imagine the engine is in great shape. Personally, I wouldn't touch that car regardless of price.

I agree with what you're saying - especially the abused and low miles part - BUT, if he wants it, I say go for it. There is a lot of aftermarket support for beefy race spec trans internals for these cars to make the trans better than it was off the showroom floor.

If he wants something turbo, cheap, and babied, look at the PT Cruiser GT.

dodgeshadowchik
10-31-2011, 08:49 AM
I sold one last year for $7500 with a salvage title. Course it was top notch, but it can happen.

The problem with salvage cars is that some insurance companies will not cover them. So it can be kinda tricky and typically why they are not worth much.

rich tideswell
10-31-2011, 09:52 AM
The problem with salvage cars is that some insurance companies will not cover them. So it can be kinda tricky and typically why they are not worth much.

For what it's worth, AAA will insure them just like any other car. My brothers commemorative is a rebuilt title and so long as the bill is paid, AAA is happy.

j4278h
10-31-2011, 10:34 AM
For what it's worth,... so long as the bill is paid, AAA is happy.

Until you need to make a claim, then you will get bent over like nobody's business.

Turbo224
10-31-2011, 11:34 AM
Yeah, Im going to avoid this thing as I dont need another project. I suppose if he was desperate and practically gave it to me I could get things sorted out, but I dont want an SRT that badly.

Polygon
10-31-2011, 01:19 PM
I agree with what you're saying - especially the abused and low miles part - BUT, if he wants it, I say go for it. There is a lot of aftermarket support for beefy race spec trans internals for these cars to make the trans better than it was off the showroom floor.

If he wants something turbo, cheap, and babied, look at the PT Cruiser GT.

Sure.

But to be honest, I wouldn't have even called him since it was a branded title. I would suggest he only consider it if he were using it as a project car that he never planned to sell. But he's not looking for a project. He's looking for a DD, thus I would suggest walking and not looking back. Like I said, for the cost of all the work he would need to do to that car he could find a nice unmolested car. I would rather start at that point on a project anyways. It's beat and tired. You think there's just transmission work? I'm sure that engine and turbo work isn't far behind.

Turbo224
10-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Sure.

But to be honest, I wouldn't have even called him since it was a branded title. I would suggest he only consider it if he were using it as a project car that he never planned to sell. But he's not looking for a project. He's looking for a DD, thus I would suggest walking and not looking back. Like I said, for the cost of all the work he would need to do to that car he could find a nice unmolested car. I would rather start at that point on a project anyways. It's beat and tired. You think there's just transmission work? I'm sure that engine and turbo work isn't far behind.

The only problem with the branded title is the resale value, but that's not really an issue. If I pay WAY under retail value when I buy it, I would expect to sell it for way under retail value. As long as I know where it was hit, and I can see the damage was taken care of properly, then im fine with that. Keep in mind that insurance companies total these cars for minor fender benders because they know it will save them money in the long run.

spoolinhard
11-02-2011, 06:05 PM
The only problem with the branded title is the resale value, but that's not really an issue. If I pay WAY under retail value when I buy it, I would expect to sell it for way under retail value. As long as I know where it was hit, and I can see the damage was taken care of properly, then im fine with that. Keep in mind that insurance companies total these cars for minor fender benders because they know it will save them money in the long run.

Finally someone who knows something about a salvage title car. They are bad if you are looking for an investment. Great if you just want something to drive.

It used to be that cars would not get a salvage title so easily. Insurance companies started salvaging cars at lower expenses in order to protect used car sales. Kind of a dick move, but wtf.

I bought a salvaged srt-4 from the insurance auctions and rebuilt it myself. It has been the best car that I have owned and my older TD's don't even compare with ride/comfort/dependability.

I would probably pass on the car that you looked at also. It screams neglect.

strang3majik
11-04-2011, 01:54 AM
You can have mine for $6800 :)

dodgeshadowchik
11-04-2011, 11:52 AM
^^

I'll trade you a Mustang for it. LOL

strang3majik
11-04-2011, 12:08 PM
^^

I'll trade you a Mustang for it. LOL

I need enough to pay it off first...lol I wish it was as easy as trading.