PDA

View Full Version : Want to upgrade from Mitsu. to Garrett

QC DSM ESiT
07-23-2006, 03:20 PM
I guess my minivan has a crappy Mitsu. turbo and from what I hear I need to upgrade the turbo. Also from what I hear the Garrett from a stock TII which I guess is a Garrett T3 is a pretty good budget turbo for right now. So what all would I need to make this turbo work on my minivan?

Darkwolf
07-23-2006, 03:45 PM
The turbo, wastegate, swingvalve, and the oil/coolant lines. I picked up nearly half a second and 5 mph in the 1/8 mile in my van just with the turbo upgrade.

BARRON
07-23-2006, 05:37 PM
ALL turbo minivans got the mitsu so dont feel picked on. :)

The garret and a big exhaust will really open up the van's top end!

QC DSM ESiT
07-24-2006, 01:29 PM
The turbo, wastegate, swingvalve, and the oil/coolant lines. I picked up nearly half a second and 5 mph in the 1/8 mile in my van just with the turbo upgrade.

Excellent, but I have a couple questions on those parts I need. I've delt with a couple turbo vehicles before but have never heard the term swingvalve, what exactly is that? Also for the oil/coolant lines, I'm assuming by you saying I need them that I can't use the same lines that I already have for the Mitsu. turbo then?

Darkwolf
07-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Some the the lines from the mitsu will work but I can't remember which ones. I just picked everything up at the sametime when I hit the junkyard. The swingvalve is the dohicking that goes between the turbo and the exhaust.
http://users.marshall.edu/~kessler8/van/turbo/01010005.JPG The o2 sensor is hanging off the swingvalve of the turbo on the right. Thats a garrett on the left and and mitsu on the right btw. If you have the option you want an 89 garrett. They have the big 2.5 inch swingvalve compared to the 2.25 of the older ones and the big wastegate can.

89turbomini
07-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Swingvalve (http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/index.php?cPath=111_101)

Dave
07-24-2006, 02:53 PM
When upgrading to the Garrett you'll need the Garrett's water and oil lines, the swingvalve, and the wastegate actuator (the can). Everything else is a direct bolt on.

I would make sure to get a T2 turbo, as the T1 Garretts you'll need an adapter to bolt on an intake pipe to it.

It helps a lot. Less boost creep, real good control, and you'll go plenty fast with it.

I basically maxed mine out at 20psi and ran a 13.72 with it. People have had them up to as high as 28psi, but I probally shouldn't have told you that. They begin to become terribly inefficient past 18psi. So far I've upgraded to a better turbo 3 times. :)

Darkapollo
07-24-2006, 08:53 PM
can anyone show me or tell me the difference between the lines?
Im about to do this swap too, ive already clocked the turbo around, but i havent taken the mitsu off. Is there anyway to adapt the lines?

iTurbo
07-24-2006, 09:31 PM
The oil supply line is the same between the stock Garrett and Mitsu turbos. The coolant lines are different. The oil return uses the same short silicone piece to connect to the oil drain, but the fitting that bolts onto the turbo center section is different between Garret/Mitsu.

Devsdaytona
07-26-2006, 10:50 PM
:nod: I'm just wraping up a conversion and I just went a got ss lines from TU, the hardest part about putting on a early T1 garret is the inlet adaptor, and for that I just use JB weld and 2.25 inch tube and molded the JB weld for smoothness:p

BARRON
07-27-2006, 09:28 PM
I did this all myself,on my T1 garrett pictured here.

Mitsu oil AND coolant lines(just used a longer piece rubber hose and bent it a bit by hand)

Mitsu inlet cut off and welded to the old garret's inlet flange and machined to look pretty.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/420000-420999/420349_118_full.jpg

I guess I have alot more machinery available to me than the average joe.

beavis1313
07-27-2006, 11:57 PM
I used the Mitsu lines too when I swaped turbos on my 89 van

turbovanmanČ
07-28-2006, 04:16 AM
For the cost of a new set of braided lines, around $100, its stupid and a potentially dangerous to reuse the old crap. I would hate to loose an engine or turbo over a $100 if the OE oil line craps out. :(

Tony Hanna
07-28-2006, 06:07 AM
A cost cutting measure that I wonder why nobody has ever brought up is to simply have someone that makes hydraulic hoses re-hose the old oil line.
I haven't priced it yet, but I'm going to when I get ready to swap a Garrett into the Sundance if I'm not back to work and can't afford to spare the cash for the ss lines.

turbovanmanČ
07-28-2006, 03:22 PM
A cost cutting measure that I wonder why nobody has ever brought up is to simply have someone that makes hydraulic hoses re-hose the old oil line.
I haven't priced it yet, but I'm going to when I get ready to swap a Garrett into the Sundance if I'm not back to work and can't afford to spare the cash for the ss lines.

You can but whats the point, probably cost $30 to redo the oil line, another $70 and you have new, leak proof lines, :thumb:

Tony Hanna
07-28-2006, 04:16 PM
You can but whats the point, probably cost $30 to redo the oil line, another $70 and you have new, leak proof lines, :thumb:

I guess I'm just lucky in knowing somebody then. I've got a friend whose parents own a parts store and just happen to make hydraulic hoses. I'll likely not have more than the cost of the materials in it.:thumb:

Darkapollo
07-28-2006, 04:48 PM
My buddy welded me up an intake adapter. He may start making them (a TD guy himself) and selling them for REALLY cheap (like $10-$20 or so) just to make some extra scratch.

When I pull everything off this weekend Ill see what tricks I can do. $100 for a piece of rubber tube with steel braid around it and some AN fittings is a BIT pricy for me right now, money is usually not a concern but some expenses I just cannot justify. The coolant and oil lines would cost me twice as much as the turbo. If maybe it was a T3/T4 or something REALLY nice and REALLY expensive then yeah, but a $50 turbo? Ill deal.

Plus, if I nuke the engine, I have my 2.4 waiting to be ripped into and built. Just gives me the motivation to do it faster!:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
07-28-2006, 09:03 PM
My buddy welded me up an intake adapter. He may start making them (a TD guy himself) and selling them for REALLY cheap (like $10-$20 or so) just to make some extra scratch.

When I pull everything off this weekend Ill see what tricks I can do. $100 for a piece of rubber tube with steel braid around it and some AN fittings is a BIT pricy for me right now, money is usually not a concern but some expenses I just cannot justify. The coolant and oil lines would cost me twice as much as the turbo. If maybe it was a T3/T4 or something REALLY nice and REALLY expensive then yeah, but a $50 turbo? Ill deal.

Plus, if I nuke the engine, I have my 2.4 waiting to be ripped into and built. Just gives me the motivation to do it faster!:thumb:

Hmmmmmm, its not only the turbo that goes by by. I guess $100 vs changing out an engine is cost efficient, ;)

Darkapollo
07-28-2006, 09:12 PM
when its not your daily driver? sure it is! LOL

daytonaturbo87
07-29-2006, 01:54 AM
oh please, I've had OE hydraulic lines repressed without problems. What's going to happen to the metal part of the lines? I always just reused that part, and I left just enough rubber left so they could fit it into their compression crimp machine. The guy at the tractor place asked me if I wanted to go with all new fittings and such, but I needed to keep the original ends on there because they had specially shaped lines comming out of them, and they needed to be formed like that for clearance. If braided lines are so good, why is nobody taking some metal fuel line, some end connectors, a hand held tube bender and a flaring tool and just making their own lines from scratch? Could easily do it a lot cheaper than the braided lines, plus be strong, not flexible though.

Tony Hanna
07-29-2006, 02:20 AM
Hmmmmmm, its not only the turbo that goes by by. I guess $100 vs changing out an engine is cost efficient, ;)

You gotta be able to look at this from another point of view. I for one (and I'm sure others do as well) understand that the ss lines are the best option. There's no arguement from me on that. The thing is, when you say it would cost roughly $30 to re-hose the stock line, so you might as well spend the additional $70 for a new one, I'm thinking If I spend $30 to re-hose the stock line, that'll leave me $70 to buy groceries/gas/pay bills/whatever for the week.
It's not that I want to be cheap, it's just that when I'm out of work and living day to day, I tend to look for alternative solutions. I think alot of us are like that.

turbovanmanČ
07-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Tony, I am not going to argue, and you have a valid point also but I am tired of patch it now then whine later when it breaks. There are options so do as you must, I don't want to hear the crying when it lets go, :p

Tony Hanna
07-30-2006, 04:07 AM
Tony, I am not going to argue, and you have a valid point also but I am tired of patch it now then whine later when it breaks. There are options so do as you must, I don't want to hear the crying when it lets go, :p

I agree with you 100% on the "I'll just throw the old one back on there and hope it doesn't pop" school of thinking. That's why I brought up re-hosing as an option. You'd end up with a line that's as good as it was when the car left the factory at a price somebody on a tight budget shouldn't have trouble with.

WickedShelby88
08-13-2006, 03:14 AM
Im with ya there Tony. +1 for the Garrett. Ive had a Mitsu and Ive had the Garrett on the same basic engine and the Garrett was just plain mean even without intercooling. Also work at a machine shop so reusing lines and using new hydraulic hose is definitely not a difficult task to achieve with excellent results.

RMEpowerbox
08-13-2006, 11:55 PM
When you upgrade to the garrett and install a front mount intercooler, how much boost is safe to run on the T1 injectors?

turbovanmanČ
08-14-2006, 12:12 AM
When you upgrade to the garrett and install a front mount intercooler, how much boost is safe to run on the T1 injectors?

Basically cutout, I managed 15-16 ish on the stock setup.

turbo xtc
09-03-2006, 07:34 PM
i run 13 no problems but i used a bmw 535 injector (they are a in-line 6)as for the concept of cost versus breakage if ain't broken it's because it's done right.when i put the laser together it took me 3 years why do u ask because i'm on a budget too but i bought parts a little at a time when i put it together i had all the parts i needed and i replaced all lines hoses seals gaskets and i don't make a lot of money but at least i took the extra insurance and replaced all new best to be safe than sorry:)