PDA

View Full Version : What did Shelby change under the hood of the csx-t?

88CSX-T
10-25-2011, 02:26 PM
I heard that the only things under the hood that were changed were the oil cap, valve cover, oil sticker, Shelby sticker and brake master cylinder. Does anyone know if that's true?

PentastarBooster
10-26-2011, 12:13 AM
It appears that it is probably true, based on the description on the first page of the Shelby CSX-T manual and on page 4, which lists the items covered by the Shelby warranty. See this link for an online version of the manual: http://shelbyregistry.com/pages/88csxt-pg2.html

88CSX-T
10-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Wow, according to the manual, we're the "elite group of Shelby automobile owners"!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never been associated with anything "elite"; looks like my ship finally came in!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :eyebrows:

glhs0075
10-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Wow, according to the manual, we're the "elite group of Shelby automobile owners"!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never been associated with anything "elite"; looks like my ship finally came in!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :eyebrows:
Now that you're one of the Elite, we can tell you all about the red carpet treatment, special reserved parking, and black tie galas that are all a part of being a Shelby Dodge owner!

P.S. Please keep this secret, as we don't want any of the "non-elite" to find out!
:eyebrows:

BadAssPerformance
10-26-2011, 02:06 PM
I heard that the only things under the hood that were changed were the oil cap, valve cover, oil sticker, Shelby sticker and brake master cylinder. Does anyone know if that's true?

What was changed about the oil cap?

shadow88
10-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Don't they have 710 on them??

BadAssPerformance
10-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Lol..

cordes
10-27-2011, 12:31 AM
Why did they change the MC?

supercrackerbox
10-27-2011, 01:21 AM
For the 4-wheel disc brakes.

88CSX-T
10-27-2011, 02:07 PM
The brake proportioning valve was changed too...

cordes
10-27-2011, 10:46 PM
For the 4-wheel disc brakes.

Was there not an option for 4 wheel disks on the Shadow with the 2.2 turbo in 88?

supercrackerbox
10-28-2011, 02:34 AM
Was there not an option for 4 wheel disks on the Shadow with the 2.2 turbo in 88?

That I do not know. I'm actually not even sure they were offered on LeBarons in '88. As far as I know, it was only the Daytonas and the Shelbys in '87 and '88 that got 4-wheel discs, and as you know the Daytonas got the crappy caliper actuated parking brake. When the '89 cars came out, the rear discs were nearly identical to the Shelby setups, except for a slight change in the caliper pins.

cordes
10-28-2011, 07:30 PM
That I do not know. I'm actually not even sure they were offered on LeBarons in '88. As far as I know, it was only the Daytonas and the Shelbys in '87 and '88 that got 4-wheel discs, and as you know the Daytonas got the crappy caliper actuated parking brake. When the '89 cars came out, the rear discs were nearly identical to the Shelby setups, except for a slight change in the caliper pins.

I'll be interested to hear the actual answer to this question. I thought that 88 was the first year that the turbo stuff came with 4 wheel disks. It would be pretty cool if the CSX-Ts were modified for them.

supercrackerbox
10-29-2011, 02:07 AM
The Shelby Z and Pacifica Daytonas got rear discs in '87. To my knowledge, the '87 CSX and Shelby Lancer also got rear discs, but it was the later mini-drum parking brake instead of the caliper actuated parking brake on the Daytonas. Unfortunately, no such luck for the GLHS, even all the parts except the hard lines on the rear axle are 100% bolt on.

Even if the CSXTs did leave the Dodge factory (as Shadow ESs) with rear discs, I'd be inclined to believe that they would have been the same as the Daytonas with their caliper actuated parking brake. Why put one setup on the lowly P-body, and a different, arguably worse setup on the flagship sports car? But then again, if the Shadow already had discs, why would Shelby bother to change the setup during the CSXT conversion? While it was a better design from a maintenence and longevity standpoint, the actual performance of the system should have been identical.

My guess is the rear brakes were done in the same way the TII and TIV setups were done. Give Shelby the prototype parts to install on some low-production cars, and then Dodge would use them on higher production cars later after all the Shelbys had sold and were no longer the hottest thing.

And for what it's worth, the parking brake shoes from my CSX-T had SHELBY stamped on them in yellow paint.

Joe Anderson
11-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Yes,my 87 had " shelby " stamped on the parking brake shoes too. But the 88 and 89 csx do not say shelby,although they look the same.

I believe when they installed the shelby valve covers,plain oil caps ( without any words ) were installed.... to boost the shelby valve cover name. Anyone know for sure, we probally need to look in some old books?

The 88 csx did not receive the mobile 1 plaque,along with the shelby vacume hose decal set.
Since the engine was un-touched by shelby,normal dodge stickers remained.

supercrackerbox
11-02-2011, 03:28 AM
But the 88 and 89 csx do not say shelby,although they look the same.

My CSXT was an '88.

jonnyb
11-11-2011, 07:20 PM

Other than the Shelby's, the P-body only had 4 wheel disc in 89 and 90.

cordes
11-11-2011, 07:27 PM

Thanks for confirming that. I did not realize that at all.

Egodriver71
11-16-2011, 10:14 AM
'Factory' Dodges didn't get disc in the rear until `89, except the Daytona for `87-`88.

The `89up rear disc setup was basically the system prototyped by Shelby on the `87-`88 'Whittier' cars.

I'm sure the CSX's were the same as the Lancers. Shelby had Dodge do a 'special' production run at the 'factory' to install the suspension parts.

Lancers left Sterling Heights as Turbo I Shelby Lancers, complete with ground effects, rear disc brakes and Monroe Formula GP struts/shocks. The only big thing Shelby did in Whittier to the Lancer was the intercooler and turbo/intake manifold.

cordes
11-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks for that info. I thought they added all of the suspension on all of the cars there.

135sohc
11-18-2011, 01:52 AM

They were optional all the way to 94. Having personally seen a few come through the yard, having seen a 93 ES 3.0 convertible 5speed that even had the 4 wheel ABS brakes... (Talk about one in a million) and the service manual and parts catalog all list rear disc brakes. Now it is true I'd dare say 99.997% of all P bodies did leave the factory with the drum brakes, but discs were available.