PDA

View Full Version : LOUD whirring noise @ idle

135sohc
10-25-2011, 03:50 AM
If its not one thing then its got to be something else. :banghead:

@ idle with the clutch out I get this really narly whirring sound. press in the clutch pedal and the sound pitch changes before going away. At times it sounds like a can of marbles inside the transmission. I rebuild the transmission (568) back in february with new input/diff bearings and set the specs to factory. At the end of may when I blew the motor up while the car was down I took it apart just to see how my 'rebuild' was doing. Redid the input shaft and this time set the bearings at zero since between reading up here and just my own feelings that having end play seemed not right.

running amsoil 5w30 manual transmission fluid. Going to pull the shifter housing off and see if anything is outright jumping out at me as being wrong. Clutch works fine so I dont think the TOB is acting up, not to mention its not that old.

turbovanmanČ
10-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Sounds like the input shaft bearing, :(

zin
10-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Wonder what killed it so fast? Sounds like he set it up right... Bent shaft?...

Mike

135sohc
10-25-2011, 08:51 PM
probably so on the bearings. either way I dont care anymore if this POS eats itself.

Dont think the shaft it bent.

135sohc
10-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Drained the oil out. fine metallic contamination. Too much for less than 500 miles of real world usage. looked to be brass/steel contamination.

Refilled with 2 quarts of regular 5w30 and some STP motor honey. We'll see what happens...