PDA

View Full Version : Nelson's Ledges track day

sy2206
10-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Went to Nelson's Ledges yesterday for a open track day. It's a 2.1 mile 13 turn road course in NE Ohio. I will say this, it was WAY different then autoxing, and took a little getting used to. The first couple sessions I ran in the morn, I was pretty uncomforatble, and wasn't really having much fun to be completely honest. It just seemed like it was really hard on the car, the track was very rough, and there's something very unnatural about holding it between 4-6k RPM's for 20+ minutes at a time, LOL. 90% of the time is balls to the walls in fourth gear. I was using 5th for a short while on the back straight(about 105mph), and 3rd for a short time coming out of turn 13 onto the front straight. The afternoon was better, and my last two sessions I shaved a ton of time off my lap times. I think it will be a lot more fun with more power, my showroom stock log T1 was working really hard to try and keep up with the other cars. The funny thing was, they would pull away from me on the straights, but when we got into the corners, I was right back on their bumper again, and sometimes had to let off a little to keep a safe distance. I've got a TON of parts for this car sitting here, I just need a little time to start putting it all together. I'm sure it'll be a much different experience with my T2/S60/568 drivetrain put together, coilovers, camber plates, swaybars, 4-wheel disc, and a cage. LOL.

Force Fed Mopar
10-23-2011, 10:43 AM
It takes some getting used to I'm sure. It's like going to the mountains for the first time or two. A lot of it is finding the cars limits, as this is something you never really get to do in normal street driving. Feeling how much to turn , where to start turning or braking, when to get back on, what turn angle is it going to grip or spin at, etc etc.

Keeping up in a slower/less powerful car is fun too. And it shows you something important about road racing - the corners are more important than the straights ;)

30 PSI SHADOW
10-23-2011, 11:55 AM
great place for sdac 22!

omni_840
10-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Sounds like a blast!

sy2206
10-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Added another track map with some gear and throttle info...

Reaper1
10-23-2011, 01:00 PM
That track looks like a LOT of fun!

sy2206
10-23-2011, 01:07 PM
I wish I had more picts of me in action. Unfortunately, I was there by myself, so I didn't really have anyone to take picts. I roped one of the Subaru guys next to me into taking the couple picts I got. The session before that, I was out in traffic, and that was a little more fun, when you've got some other cars to play with. I need a damn GoPro, so I can get some vids. There was a silver SRT10 Viper that came out with my group once, and he came blowin by me on the back straight, it was pretty sweet. I had it to the rug in 5th gear, approaching 100mph, and he comes by me like I'm standing still!

BadAssPerformance
10-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Looks like fun Mark, thanks for sharing!

Keito
10-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Needs moar cowbell!!

168glhs1986
10-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Nice Mark. Yes, finding the limits of your car and of your driving skills take some time to get used to. I'm glad you got some track time under your belt. Autocross is fun, but IMO this is tough to beat. My car started like yours, kind of slow, being passed by late model sports cars...then I started modding and things progressed to the point you see now. My first instructor my first track day ever said....so you gonna keep this stock or put it into race car form? I said keep it stock of course....we'll you can see that didn't last long. I wont' be able to join you next Friday but one of these days we'll get together. Work hard on it this winter and have it ready for the spring/early summer. Maybe I'll give you my Go-Pro when I get the HD version if you haven't already bought one by then.

R/T
10-24-2011, 09:50 AM
I roadraced my bikes there many times, it was bumpy as a motocross track.

I even did 2 - 24 hour races there, imagine going around that place wide open, 3AM in the RAIN on a bike.

I did that. :eyebrows:

T-Bohn
10-24-2011, 10:26 AM
I roadraced my bikes there many times, it was bumpy as a motocross track.

I even did 2 - 24 hour races there, imagine going around that place wide open, 3AM in the RAIN on a bike.

I did that. :eyebrows:

NICE! :thumb:

hondahunter
10-24-2011, 12:17 PM
I live about 30 minutes from there. I use to race on fundayz with my 98 neon, I lost it and hit the tire wall once around turn 2. The track is very bumpy, but its worth the $130 to run all day. I'll hopefully make it out a couple times next year with my daytona.