PDA

View Full Version : SDAC-22 time!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

BadAssPerformance
10-20-2011, 02:17 PM
SDAC 22 time!

We have a tentative location selected and are working out the details.

SDAC 22 location and dates will be announced in the next issue of "Up Front"

turbovanmanČ
10-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Where to pay/renew, I keep forgetting? :(

BadAssPerformance
10-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Great question. Please Click HERE (http://www.sdac.org/signup/membership.htm) :thumb:

blk86trbo
10-20-2011, 03:01 PM
So you guys settled on having it in Chicago every year, just like we discussed last meeting? That's awesome!

dodgeshadowchik
10-20-2011, 03:10 PM
I thought the toy airplane was going to decide this.

turbovanmanČ
10-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Great question. Please Click HERE (http://www.sdac.org/signup/membership.htm) :thumb:

Any deals like Barry used to? hehehe, :eyebrows:

turboshad
10-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Well what the heck..... I'm finally an SDAC member if for no other reason than to support the organization. :thumb:

cordes
10-20-2011, 05:02 PM
I can't wait.

rooferchris
10-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Well what the heck..... I'm finally an SDAC member if for no other reason than to support the organization.

x2 I used you as my referral guy so they should send you some ----!! Congrats again on getting that deep into the 10's!!

glhs0075
10-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Wow, the number of SDAC members in western Canada just doubled! Almost time for a chapter!!! I can't wait to hear where SDAC 22 is going to be, I really want to make it to my first ever meet!

rooferchris
10-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Road trip???? I vote for Idaho or Montana! :thumb:

168glhs1986
10-20-2011, 08:01 PM
sweet, just re-newed my membership because it's cool to be an SDAC member:thumb:

turbojerk
10-20-2011, 10:55 PM
So why was the other thread closed exactly??

turbovanmanČ
10-20-2011, 11:29 PM
I hope its closer than last year, this half way across the world shitt sucks, :( :eyebrows:

BadAssPerformance
10-21-2011, 09:17 AM
So why was the other thread closed exactly??

Why exactly?

That was the "where will it be, can I have it in my backyard?" thread and since a location is in the works, I decided to replace it with this, the "It has been decided and will be announced soon, stay tuned" thread.

:thumb:

turbojerk
10-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Why exactly?

That was the "where will it be, can I have it in my backyard?" thread and since a location is in the works, I decided to replace it with this, the "It has been decided and will be announced soon, stay tuned" thread.

:thumb:

....interesting.

turboshad
10-21-2011, 11:02 AM
I hope its closer than last year, this half way across the world shitt sucks, :( :eyebrows:

Suck it up princess. I could be wrong but my bet is that you will always get a better showing of cars if it is out east.

sdac guy
10-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Suck it up princess.... Now that is funny stuff right there! I nearly spit out my coffee reading that.

Barry

Shadow
10-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Well, the wife and I decided that we had so much fun at SDAC 21 that we're commited to go no matter where it is! (hopefully it's not on the far east coast and I burn myself by saying this!)

I'm seriously considering coming without the Charger though, to give me more time to meet ppl and have fun and enjoy seeing and hearing about their rides!

Pat
10-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Well, the wife and I decided that we had so much fun at SDAC 21 that we're commited to go no matter where it is! (hopefully it's not on the far east coast and I burn myself by saying this!)

I'm seriously considering coming without the Charger though, to give me more time to meet ppl and have fun and enjoy seeing and hearing about their rides!

Bring the car. I went once without the car and I regretted not having it the whole time. I had a blast, but I was jealous watching everyone else race.

contraption22
10-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Bring the car. I went once without the car and I regretted not having it the whole time. I had a blast, but I was jealous watching everyone else race.

Agreed. As much fun as I had last year, I still wish I had a car there.

turbovanmanČ
10-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Suck it up princess. I could be wrong but my bet is that you will always get a better showing of cars if it is out east.

Wow, :(

Ditto, it was fun but wanted to race so bad.

BadAssPerformance
10-21-2011, 02:01 PM

The trick is getting it ready (Notice, I didnt say "done" as our project cars are never really "done" right? LOL!) before the event so other than driving it and racing it there is not as much time consumed by it

+1 bring it :thumb: although I still had a blast at SDAC-17 without a car there :nod:

slasky
10-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Looks like I only have 8 months to finish my car for SDAC.

cordes
10-21-2011, 05:18 PM
My cars have usually been DDs for the most part. I still have a great time.

rx2mazda
10-21-2011, 05:28 PM
I've been to three, I had my car at one but it wasn't ready to race. I always have fun but, I'm always jealous that I don't have my car there racing. Luckily, Rick D let me drive his TIII CSX at the first one and Jackson let me drive his Iroc at the last two! I will race my car @ 22! In other words BRING YOUR CAR ROB.

glhs0075
10-21-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm hoping it's not too far east. I really, really want to be able to make it this year!

moparman76_69
10-21-2011, 05:53 PM
I will race my car @ 22!

Do you mean race as in lean on it while bench racing?

rx2mazda
10-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Do you mean race as in lean on it while bench racing?

Bring your 15 second Van and find out Hoser! lol

moparman76_69
10-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Bring your 15 second Van and find out Hoser! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq08yOneY_0

It won't be a 15 sec van next year, and its MR. Hoser to you.

Shadow
10-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Ya you guys are prob right, + I have to remind myself that 1/2 of the reason I felt rushed with no time to "hang out" is because I was. Dang, car just got put back together by the skin of my teeth.

I guess we'll see what spring brings. As much as I'd love to take it apart and finally do some detail work, I'm pretty sure it's going to stay together. That last day of racing just felt too good and I really don't want to mess with too much now. Just remove the 90-100lbs that I cut short to make SDAC and most likely get some light weight rear tires and rims and see what happens.

Reaper1
10-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Depending on my job/financial situation I'm going to try to make this one as well! I had SO much fun in Detroit!

sy2206
10-21-2011, 07:20 PM
The trick is getting it ready before the event

Guess I better get my coilovers and camber plates put in so I'm ready for Waterford Hills...

168glhs1986
10-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Just bought my Master Tow Tow Dolly with electric brakes so now I can Travel. Bring on the West Coast!

Aries_Turbo
10-21-2011, 09:49 PM
i cant wait. :)

my dash is in the house for reassembly, my daytona seats are in, my heater box is all cleaned out, my engine and trans are all back together and my garage is clean for work. ill be ready. :)

Brian

rooferchris
10-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Just bought my Master Tow Tow Dolly with electric brakes so now I can Travel. Bring on the West Coast!

WEST COAST!!!!!!!! you know something we don't??

T-Bohn
10-21-2011, 11:53 PM
I am betting west coast....

Any takers??

Johnny
10-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Nah, it will be back East in Ohio or some place.

Shadow
10-22-2011, 12:36 AM
I heard it was coming to Fargo ND. ;)

Johnny
10-22-2011, 12:43 AM
Isn't that where they put people through wood chippers? :)

csxtra
10-22-2011, 01:12 AM

http://www.fargomoorhead.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Chipperpic-3-200x300.jpg

turbomini
10-22-2011, 02:56 AM
Nah, it will be back East in Ohio or some place.

if its in ohio i will drive there!!!

Spycker
10-22-2011, 04:33 AM
BOOO, give us some WEST COAST PEOPLE SOME LOVE!

Aries_Turbo
10-22-2011, 09:19 AM
BOOO, give us some WEST COAST PEOPLE SOME LOVE!

it has nothing to do with not loving west coast folks.

its all about the SD/TD population density and overall population density in general.

its gone as far west as kansas and had a super low turnout.

this should explain why.

Brian

ajakeski
10-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Have cars, will travel.

Shadow
10-22-2011, 11:04 AM

its all about the SD/TD population density and overall population density in general.

this should explain why.

Brian

Hey, Where's the dark blue spot in MB? Don't tell me Canada's still a "grey area" to you guys!

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Man, that scene still sends chills through me! Totally highlights the reason I could Never be a cop, I would have shot that guy six ways to Sunday without even letting him know I was there!

Johnny
10-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Amazing, only 3 states are without any dark blue.

moparman76_69
10-22-2011, 07:12 PM
So other important questions are:

Will there be an auto-X?
Will there be a top gun award?

Johnny
10-22-2011, 07:40 PM
HAS to be an autocross this year...sure hope so. Driving that far and no racing would be a shame.

Aries_Turbo
10-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Hey, Where's the dark blue spot in MB? Don't tell me Canada's still a "grey area" to you guys!

happy now???

:) hehe

Shadow
10-23-2011, 11:15 AM
happy now???

:) hehe

Cool, and just as I thought, No Turbo Mopars in Greenland..........

30 PSI SHADOW
10-23-2011, 11:58 AM
time to go back to cecil!!

Reaper1
10-23-2011, 12:47 PM
time to go back to cecil!!

^ +1 :thumb:

ATaylorRacing
10-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Matchbox will not be there kicking rear with its old 17 second tall block 2.5...but WILL be driven there with a MUCH fresher, quicker, and MUCH quieter common block 2.5!!!! I even had to jet it down from 417P/423 S jetting to 404P/404S jets to get the correct EGTS. I wonder if the old 23 mpg it was getting will go up to 24 or better?

turbovanmanČ
10-24-2011, 06:38 PM

this should explain why.

Brian

Bah, there was other reasons, I think everyone was pissed that the SRT Nationals were being held at the same time. I don't think anyone for Cali showed up, boo on them, :censored:

Man, that scene still sends chills through me! Totally highlights the reason I could Never be a cop, I would have shot that guy six ways to Sunday without even letting him know I was there!

What's the deal with that?

Shadow
10-24-2011, 08:11 PM
What's the deal with that?

Simple, someone shows me that they're cold blooded enough to non-chalantly feed a body into a wood chipper without a Hint of remorse or human Feeling and I'm Not waiting for them to turn around, I'm gonna shoot first, ask Q's later!

Remember when Clarice finally caught up with the serial killer in the Silence of the Lambs? They were standing in the room facing each other and the moth wing fell. She knew in that moment it was him, but she delayed action and it almost cost her her life! As soon as I saw that moth wing I would have blown both his knee caps off, then, while he was lying on the ground I would blow his elbow joint apart, then we'd talk..........

turbovanmanČ
10-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Simple, someone shows me that they're cold blooded enough to non-chalantly feed a body into a wood chipper without a Hint of remorse or human Feeling and I'm Not waiting for them to turn around, I'm gonna shoot first, ask Q's later!

Remember when Clarice finally caught up with the serial killer in the Silence of the Lambs? They were standing in the room facing each other and the moth wing fell. She knew in that moment it was him, but she delayed action and it almost cost her her life! As soon as I saw that moth wing I would have blown both his knee caps off, then, while he was lying on the ground I would blow his elbow joint apart, then we'd talk..........

No, no, no, lol, what's the deal with the chipper story?

Keito
10-24-2011, 09:43 PM
You've never seen Fargo?

sdac guy
10-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Bah, there was other reasons, I think everyone was pissed that the SRT Nationals were being held at the same time. I don't think anyone for Cali showed up, boo on them, For the poor attendance in Topeka? Simon, you were the only person west of Kansas that attended the SDAC portion of the event. Folks only a few hundred miles away in CO didn't come? We got folks north, south, and east of KS, but you were the only one from west of KS, and you flew in.

But 10 years earlier SDAC-6 was held in Topeka and it was poorly attended also. It was not a shared event, it was just poorly attended compared to the ones previous and since. It is very likely SDAC will not ever go to KS again.

Barry

Shadow
10-25-2011, 12:30 AM
No, no, no, lol, what's the deal with the chipper story?

Now that's Funny!!!:lol:

Get's me to spill the beans on my vigilante type tendencies and I wasn't even being asked! :o :bolt:

ForzaV12
10-25-2011, 09:27 AM

this should explain why.

Brian

For the poor attendance in Topeka? Simon, you were the only person west of Kansas that attended the SDAC portion of the event. Folks only a few hundred miles away in CO didn't come? We got folks north, south, and east of KS, but you were the only one from west of KS, and you flew in.

But 10 years earlier SDAC-6 was held in Topeka and it was poorly attended also. It was not a shared event, it was just poorly attended compared to the ones previous and since. It is very likely SDAC will not ever go to KS again.

Barry

Not to open this can of worms again, but Kansas is hardly the west coast. There are plenty of west coast owners and fans that would attend a Vegas event, for example. The club wouldn't lose money. We'd see a lot of previously unknown cars. One event, out west, in the entire history of the club isn't too much to ask, is it?
Rant over, as you were, gentlemen.

sdac guy
10-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Not to open this can of worms again, but Kansas is hardly the west coast. There are plenty of west coast owners and fans that would attend a Vegas event, for example. The club wouldn't lose money. We'd see a lot of previously unknown cars. One event, out west, in the entire history of the club isn't too much to ask, is it?
Rant over, as you were, gentlemen.I never claimed it was west, but many have suggested "Hold the event in the middle of the country." Can't get any closer to the middle of the US than Kansas, and the track facility they have there is superb! I honestly would have liked to hold a west coast event (read "not necessarily in Vegas") but never got to it.

Folks out that way seem to focus on Vegas as a venue because Shel is there, but it is the worst possible venue to go to in the summer because of the heat. I mean Topeka was at 106 when we got there, but fortunately there was a stiff wind and the temps came down as the days wore on. Holding an event in northern Cal would make the most sense to me. And then if the statement was made that nobody west of California came, we would only be talking 2 states instead of over a third of them.:D

Barry

glhs0075
10-25-2011, 10:14 AM
I agree with Forza %100! I would really, really like to attend an SDAC at some point in my lifetime. I've only ever driven as far east as Minneapolis, and it was not a very fun drive! Las Vegas is a whole lot more feasible from where I'm at! I understand not having it out west every year, or even half of the time, but just once would be nice.

I guess I was typing at the same time as Barry, I just saw his comments on Vegas. Northern Cal would be good too.

Spycker
10-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Hey Im in california too! how about some LOVE?! thats all im asking for, theres a handful of TM owners out here, just hold the SDAC22 in LAS VEGAS and all will be well. dont hold it in August since that my birthday month and it gets HOT AS FK but seriously, why not give us some love? is not like we are asking for free car parts!

Aries_Turbo
10-25-2011, 11:00 AM
you know, you west coasters dont need there to be an official SDAC even on the west coast to hang out together. I wouldnt suggest making it the same weekend as the official event though.

Brian

glhs0075
10-25-2011, 11:27 AM
you know, you west coasters dont need there to be an official SDAC even on the west coast to hang out together. I wouldnt suggest making it the same weekend as the official event though.

Brian
I hang out with other, local TM/SD enthusiasts quite regularly. It would be nice to be able to attend an official SDAC event at least once though.

ShelGame
10-25-2011, 11:41 AM
I'd try my hardest to attend a Winter SDAC in Vegas in Feb or March. In June, though? No way - too hot for me.

30 PSI SHADOW
10-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Folks out that way seem to focus on Vegas as a venue because Shel is there, but it is the worst possible venue to go to in the summer because of the heat.

Barry[/QUOTE]

Summer? I dont see a problem with Having SDAC as usual in june (which to me is to hot anyway no matter where you go) but i see no reason National coundnt work with someone from the phoenix or cal chapter and help them organize something in vegas on their own in like OCTOBER, where its a bit cooler.I used to live in phoenix so i know how it can be. Im sure the west guys could have opinions. Im not saying SDAC should fund it, but putting the name on it, and helping them along with planning something like on a test and tune day,and watch it grow.Who knows, Maybe with some exposure and a bit of prying from national,maybe just maybe..... Shelby auto might get involved.

Spycker
10-25-2011, 12:46 PM
i like the negativity from the east coast guys, real nice, true colors.

cordes
10-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Is this a thread about SDAC 22 or another gripe session for folks most of us haven't seen in person who want SDAC held in their driveway?

T-Bohn
10-25-2011, 01:12 PM

Quotes or it didn't happen.

30 PSI SHADOW
10-25-2011, 01:31 PM

???? was that directed to my comments?

BadAssPerformance
10-25-2011, 01:52 PM
I really was hoping this thread wouldn't just continue the other one, but looking back through past years, why would it? LOL :thumb:

SDAC-22 has been decided and it will be where it will be and that's that... to be announced in the next month or so in "Up Front" :thumb:

I will give a HINT to all - If you havn't discussed the details of planning it at your local SDAC Chapter gathering/meet, or if you do not have an SDAC Chapter in your area... it's probably not going to be in your area. :(

SDAC Chapter participation in the planning, organization and execution of the event is critical to having a successful event. Having helped out for the past SDAC events in Chicago, I know this first hand and also know how hard it is to do. This gives me an idea for another "Up Front" articlce, maybe "Tips for hosting a national event" or something

I do find it interesting how many suggestions for SDAC 22 have been posted. Kinda like pointing at the map and suggesting a favorite location? I love to visit Hawaii and think it would be an awesome place to hang out with a bunch of Shelby Dodge and Turbo Mopar enthusiasts, and there is even a dragstip in Hilo! :thumb: Unfortunately until there is an Aloha or Big Island chapter, probably not going to happen... ;)

turbovanmanČ
10-25-2011, 02:08 PM
You've never seen Fargo?

Nope, guess I better watch it then, :thumb:

For the poor attendance in Topeka? Simon, you were the only person west of Kansas that attended the SDAC portion of the event. Folks only a few hundred miles away in CO didn't come? We got folks north, south, and east of KS, but you were the only one from west of KS, and you flew in.

Barry

Gotcha, and yeah, was kinda sad, when it was closer to the West Coast than Chicago etc, :(

Now that's Funny!!!:lol:

Get's me to spill the beans on my vigilante type tendencies and I wasn't even being asked! :o :bolt:

No doubt, pyscho, lol.

I never claimed it was west, but many have suggested "Hold the event in the middle of the country." Can't get any closer to the middle of the US than Kansas, and the track facility they have there is superb! I honestly would have liked to hold a west coast event (read "not necessarily in Vegas") but never got to it.

Folks out that way seem to focus on Vegas as a venue because Shel is there, but it is the worst possible venue to go to in the summer because of the heat. I mean Topeka was at 106 when we got there, but fortunately there was a stiff wind and the temps came down as the days wore on. Holding an event in northern Cal would make the most sense to me. And then if the statement was made that nobody west of California came, we would only be talking 2 states instead of over a third of them.:D

Barry

Vegas would be fun but yeah, June would be stinking hot, hard to drag race when the paint is peeling off from the heat, lol.

rx2mazda
10-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Just found out from a VERY close source where SDAC22 is gonna be! So excited!

glhs0075
10-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Is this a thread about SDAC 22 or another gripe session for folks most of us haven't seen in person who want SDAC held in their driveway?
I'm not asking for it to be held in my driveway, I'm just pointing out that there is a reason most of you haven't seen us in person. I don't know too many people able to drive 2000 miles each way in 20+ year old car.

turbovanmanČ
10-25-2011, 03:36 PM

Bench racing here we go, :nod:

Shadow
10-25-2011, 03:58 PM

Ditto, I'm pumped!

GLHS069
10-25-2011, 04:11 PM
If I had to guess it will be in Detroit for 22
and then Vegas for SDAC 23 like Alan and Forza are planning.

ShelGame
10-25-2011, 04:18 PM
I was going to guess Indy - IRP would be a great venue (drag strip, oval, and an old road course). But, getting it in June might be tough.

turbovanmanČ
10-25-2011, 04:28 PM

That would be cool, :nod:

ATaylorRacing
10-25-2011, 04:41 PM
I was going to guess Indy - IRP would be a great venue (drag strip, oval, and an old road course). But, getting it in June might be tough.

I don't think they schedule bracket points races in June at Indy....but they are $$$$ and with the experience the United Manual Transmission Racers series had there they are prone to not respond to continued requests about race dates at their track. Maybe Kurt Johnson (NOT the one that has WJ as a dad) might still be there for 2012 and he might be more reseptive than previous track mgrs.

turboshad
10-25-2011, 05:50 PM
I've only ever driven as far east as Minneapolis, and it was not a very fun drive!

Well that's your problem, the drive just starts to get exciting a bit before Minneapolis. Once you get Past there it is really nice territory. I always ask myself if I worry about my car making it between oil changes. If not then why would I worry about doing all those miles in a row? I really don't care where it is, I think I'm hooked. If it is further than Maryland though it would be nice to at least have another car along. I'll admit that was a bit of a marathon. :D

86seeS
10-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Its not in indiana, hawaii, california, kansas, alaska, n. Dakota, s. Dakota, rhode island, main, or maryland. Thats 10 states where it isnt if you know its not in your state post it up..... We can figure this out guys lol

sdac guy
10-25-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm not asking for it to be held in my driveway, I'm just pointing out that there is a reason most of you haven't seen us in person. I don't know too many people able to drive 2000 miles each way in 20+ year old car.But you see that attitude is part of the problem, not part of the solution. Most of the folks that attend our event go every year, or nearly every year. So when it was in Topeka, the east coast guys drove 1400+ miles to get there, many of them towing their vehicles. But Colorado folks (or Utah) that were in the next state or two didn't even bother to show up.

If you recall there was a guy on here from KS, about 45 minutes away from Topeka, that said he didn't know whether to check it out or not. To my knowledge he never showed up. Heck I'm in Michigan and a bunch of us from here drove to SDAC-6 in Topeka, about 900 miles each way. And when it came for SDAC-16 in Topeka again, a bunch of us made the trip again. For Chicago and other mid-west events (MI, PA, etc) Rick Diogo from southern FL has both flown in and driven to them. When driving, he puts on nearly 600 miles just within the state of FL.

So there are a lot of people that drive well over 1000 miles to come, and if they don't make it every year, then every few years. And yes we have had a few that drove from southern California, to Michigan, Maryland, and Pennsylvania to name a few. Bellyaching that the event is too far away, is just that. The length of the drive is a only a valid excuse in the mind of those that don't attend. To those that do attend most years, when they hear of someone not attending because the drive is too far, they are saying "WTF?":D

And just to point it out, the SDAC event is not held for TM or TD or any other forum. It is held for SDAC members, it is billed as the annual convention for SDAC members. To have it in an area that is convenient for the most of those that attend is only proper. We tried it in Topeka twice in 10 years because that is about the center of the country. But attendance was poor both times.

90% of the SDAC membership lives east of the Rocky Mountains, and while it may be nice to enjoy some of the flavor the west coast has to offer, planning one of the SDAC events there would prove to be quite an inconvenience for most of the members.

So then the question presents itself, "Is it right to ask them to inconvenience themselves so only 10% of the members feel satisfied in their quest to have an event in their area?" While during my term of management of the club, I would have loved to put an event on the west coast, but that question always haunted me. Was it the right thing to do? And as much as I would have liked to do one there, I never got a yes answer back from myself.

Barry

turbovanmanČ
10-25-2011, 07:05 PM
And as much as I would have liked to do one there, I never got a yes answer back from myself.
Barry

Your not doing it right, lol. :eyebrows:

moparman76_69
10-25-2011, 07:16 PM

I don't think they schedule bracket points races in June at Indy....but they are $$$$ and with the experience the United Manual Transmission Racers series had there they are prone to not respond to continued requests about race dates at their track. Maybe Kurt Johnson (NOT the one that has WJ as a dad) might still be there for 2012 and he might be more reseptive than previous track mgrs.

Definitely not Indy next year and probably will never be at LOORIRP or whatever it is this year, the track fees there are way too high. I was hoping for buckeye to host since I haven't seen them have one recently but Detroit area would be ok also.

Shadow
10-25-2011, 07:45 PM
We tried it in Topeka twice in 10 years because that is about the center of the country. But attendance was poor both times.
Barry

Damn, before my time, and I think I heard Topeka had a pretty good hooking track to boot!

sdac guy
10-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Damn, before my time, and I think I heard Topeka had a pretty good hooking track to boot!Yeah it was a beautiful facility. Good drag strip, nice road course, and they had just added a 16 acre blacktop skid pad for autocross events. For those of us that went, it was a great time!

Barry

turbovanmanČ
10-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Damn, before my time, and I think I heard Topeka had a pretty good hooking track to boot!

I think SMP did his best time there.

Yeah it was a beautiful facility. Good drag strip, nice road course, and they had just added a 16 acre blacktop skid pad for autocross events. For those of us that went, it was a great time!

Barry

Yep, and great titty bars, lol.

Warren Stramer
10-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Yeah it was a beautiful facility. Good drag strip, nice road course, and they had just added a 16 acre blacktop skid pad for autocross events. For those of us that went, it was a great time!

Barry

Yes that was a great time. Of the four I've been to that was my favorite. was 850 miles for me one way.

glhs0075
10-25-2011, 10:17 PM
So there are a lot of people that drive well over 1000 miles to come, I would be exstatic if it was only 1000 miles away! In my opinion that's a reasonable distance to travel.

So then the question presents itself, "Is it right to ask them to inconvenience themselves so only 10% of the members feel satisfied in their quest to have an event in their area?" I would say the answer to that question is a resounding "Yes", %10 of the time.

bakes
10-25-2011, 10:41 PM
I would be exstatic if it was only 1000 miles away! In my opinion that's a reasonable distance to travel.
I would say the answer to that question is a resounding "Yes", %10 of the time.

1000 miles and i only get to Helena Montana if i go down and across or if i go east 1000m get me to Calgary Alberta and im still only 1/3rd of the way there. and either way im pulling big grades.

glhs0075
10-25-2011, 10:46 PM
1000 miles and i only get to Helena Montana if i go down and across or if i go east 1000m get me to Calgary Alberta and im still only 1/3rd of the way there. and either way im pulling big grades.
Sorry James, are you saying that you usually make the 3000m drive?

bakes
10-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Sorry James, are you saying that you usually make the 3000m drive?NOPE!! the distance / fuel would put me in the poor house!!!

glhs0075
10-25-2011, 11:35 PM
I really don't care where it is, I think I'm hooked. If it is further than Maryland though it would be nice to at least have another car along. I'll admit that was a bit of a marathon. :D
Some year DJ, I promise!!!

Spycker
10-25-2011, 11:42 PM
And yes we have had a few that drove from southern California, to Michigan, Maryland, and Pennsylvania to name a few. Bellyaching that the event is too far away, is just that. The length of the drive is a only a valid excuse in the mind of those that don't attend. To those that do attend most years, when they hear of someone not attending because the drive is too far, they are saying "WTF?":D

And just to point it out, the SDAC event is not held for TM or TD or any other forum.

So then the question presents itself, "Is it right to ask them to inconvenience themselves so only 10% of the members feel satisfied in their quest to have an event in their area?" While during my term of management of the club, I would have loved to put an event on the west coast, but that question always haunted me. Was it the right thing to do? And as much as I would have liked to do one there, I never got a yes answer back from myself.

Barry

I would tow my drag racing charger and have someone drive my daytona to a SDAC event and im in northern california but i have yet to join SDAC. money is tight at the moment, I just need to know where and when to plan ahead and cancel any future plans when the date comes around

Johnny
10-26-2011, 12:26 AM
1000 miles....only a days drive away!

ForzaV12
10-26-2011, 12:33 AM

Detroit? That would be cool.
Alan and I aren't planning anything. We've made some, what I would call, generous "feelers" in the past and received what I'd call a lukewarm response from the selection crew. Ain't no thing, as both of us are plenty busy enough to spend much time worrying about where SDAC will be held. Alan usually attends the events regardless, I don't. Pig-Headed I guess-I'd like a bone thrown out to the west just once, that's all. I completely understand if the majority of the members clustered around a certain few states want to keep the events relatively local-no hurt feelings here.

But you see that attitude is part of the problem, not part of the solution. Most of the folks that attend our event go every year, or nearly every year. So when it was in Topeka, the east coast guys drove 1400+ miles to get there, many of them towing their vehicles. But Colorado folks (or Utah) that were in the next state or two didn't even bother to show up.

If you recall there was a guy on here from KS, about 45 minutes away from Topeka, that said he didn't know whether to check it out or not. To my knowledge he never showed up. Heck I'm in Michigan and a bunch of us from here drove to SDAC-6 in Topeka, about 900 miles each way. And when it came for SDAC-16 in Topeka again, a bunch of us made the trip again. For Chicago and other mid-west events (MI, PA, etc) Rick Diogo from southern FL has both flown in and driven to them. When driving, he puts on nearly 600 miles just within the state of FL.

So there are a lot of people that drive well over 1000 miles to come, and if they don't make it every year, then every few years. And yes we have had a few that drove from southern California, to Michigan, Maryland, and Pennsylvania to name a few. Bellyaching that the event is too far away, is just that. The length of the drive is a only a valid excuse in the mind of those that don't attend. To those that do attend most years, when they hear of someone not attending because the drive is too far, they are saying "WTF?":D

And just to point it out, the SDAC event is not held for TM or TD or any other forum. It is held for SDAC members, it is billed as the annual convention for SDAC members. To have it in an area that is convenient for the most of those that attend is only proper. We tried it in Topeka twice in 10 years because that is about the center of the country. But attendance was poor both times.

90% of the SDAC membership lives east of the Rocky Mountains, and while it may be nice to enjoy some of the flavor the west coast has to offer, planning one of the SDAC events there would prove to be quite an inconvenience for most of the members.

Barry

I don't know jack about Kansas. I do know a bit about the folks out west-they'd attend the event. And, no, we don't need to plan a non-SDAC, west coast event. We have plenty of world class automotive events out here nearly every day of the week to attend all year round-not looking to fill space on the calendar. Just thought it might be interesting to utilize the talents, resources and members out here to host the event. Certainly no "quest" of mine and if it never happens, we'll survive. I, and others out here, have managed to find a number of ways to amuse ourselves with these goofy cars-its all good.

I would be exstatic if it was only 1000 miles away! In my opinion that's a reasonable distance to travel.
I would say the answer to that question is a resounding "Yes", %10 of the time.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

168glhs1986
10-26-2011, 12:52 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwrT2aCvzqs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otm4RusESNU

turbovanmanČ
10-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Detroit? That would be cool.
Alan and I aren't planning anything. We've made some, what I would call, generous "feelers" in the past and received what I'd call a lukewarm response from the selection crew. Ain't no thing, as both of us are plenty busy enough to spend much time worrying about where SDAC will be held. Alan usually attends the events regardless, I don't. Pig-Headed I guess-I'd like a bone thrown out to the west just once, that's all. I completely understand if the majority of the members clustered around a certain few states want to keep the events relatively local-no hurt feelings here.

I don't know jack about Kansas. I do know a bit about the folks out west-they'd attend the event. And, no, we don't need to plan a non-SDAC, west coast event. We have plenty of world class automotive events out here nearly every day of the week to attend all year round-not looking to fill space on the calendar. Just thought it might be interesting to utilize the talents, resources and members out here to host the event. Certainly no "quest" of mine and if it never happens, we'll survive. I, and others out here, have managed to find a number of ways to amuse ourselves with these goofy cars-its all good.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

I am at a loss why non of you guys came out when it was close? :confused:

Spycker
10-26-2011, 02:20 AM
THANKS TO FORZAV12 for nailing it on the HEAD! Thats what im EXACTLY talking about! Thank you my good sir!

supercrackerbox
10-26-2011, 02:51 AM

For Topeka? Personally, I was completely burned out after pouring every spare minute and dollar into a Daytona project in an effort to take it to SDAC-15, only to not only have the car make it, but also be totalled that fall with only 2000 miles on it. Frankly I needed a break.

Ray wanted to go, but was between jobs at the time and needed to save the money.

Still, SDAC-16 actually got the weels turning for the formation of the LinOma-Bluffs chapter, as that's where Steve met up with the Maas brothers for the first time, even though they all were from Omaha. So low turnout or not, I'm glad it still made it out here at least once.

glhs0075
10-26-2011, 09:14 AM
So then the question presents itself, "Is it right to ask them to inconvenience themselves so only 10% of the members feel satisfied in their quest to have an event in their area?"
This question could also be re-worded this way: "Is it right to ask %10 of the club to be inconvenienced %100 of the time, so that %90 of the members feel satisfied in their quest to have an event in their area?"

slasky
10-26-2011, 09:23 AM
What happened to Cleavland???

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

This question could also be re-worded this way: "Is it right to ask %10 of the club to be inconvenienced %100 of the time, so that %90 of the members feel satisfied in their quest to have an event in their area?"
What's wrong with that? Why hold an event and then only have 40 people show up?

dodgeshadowchik
10-26-2011, 09:27 AM
The problem with anything in life is that one cannot make everyone happy. Since this is the case, it's typically up to which area will provide the most bang for the buck.

Aries_Turbo
10-26-2011, 10:08 AM
i myself dont think its right to ask the club to ever go into debt for anything.... be it a west coast event, or individual activities be it a road course or autox or even drag racing.

if all we had was a car show and cruises and goofing around at the hotel, that would be fine with me if the club finances were kept in the black. im sure barry will tell you that a few financial indiscretions to please people puts the club into MAJOR debt and keeps it there for a LONG time.

a west coast even would be a financial indiscretion unless some serious cash was donated to make up for lack of attendance.

brian

Johnny
10-26-2011, 10:25 AM
a west coast even would be a financial indiscretion unless some serious cash was donated to make up for lack of attendance.
I'll donate $200

30 PSI SHADOW
10-26-2011, 11:08 AM

Barry

I went for sdac 6. drove all the way 2 days from VT. 1K miles i think. Draged,Road coursed,Street raced, drove home. Id go back there someday,it was very nice. The key is, to car pool with others and their cars it helps to make it exciting!

glhs0075
10-26-2011, 11:08 AM
I'll donate $200
Me too

22shelby
10-26-2011, 11:53 AM
ill tell ya, im just happy there's going to be a 22 and where ever it be, ill be happy to attend, if fund/travel limit me to not be able to go, i promise not to come on TM and bish about how far or how much it cost... long live SDAC!!!! remember support the organization that supports your hobby

ForzaV12
10-26-2011, 12:16 PM

Topeka isn't even remotely "close". I'd be willing to attend events that were on the east, but, as stated, I'm just being stubborn as I won't do it until I see at least one attempt at a true western states location.

What happened to Cleavland???

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

What's wrong with that? Why hold an event and then only have 40 people show up?

We'd have 40 from this coast, plus, if I heard right, there are plenty of members that go to SDAC, "no matter where it is". Easy to do when its in your or a neighboring state. Not so much when its thousands of miles away.

The problem with anything in life is that one cannot make everyone happy. Since this is the case, it's typically up to which area will provide the most bang for the buck.

Trust me, there'd be plenty of "bang for the buck" out here. Besides, we are pretty happy out here-regardless of whether or not a western SDAC meet ever materializes.:thumb:

i myself dont think its right to ask the club to ever go into debt for anything.... be it a west coast event, or individual activities be it a road course or autox or even drag racing.

if all we had was a car show and cruises and goofing around at the hotel, that would be fine with me if the club finances were kept in the black. im sure barry will tell you that a few financial indiscretions to please people puts the club into MAJOR debt and keeps it there for a LONG time.

brian

Wouldn't happen if those of us that have made past offers of support for a west coast event are still on board.

I'll donate $200

There are a number of us that have offered to do just this-and more to make it happen. Once again, don't want to argue and keep beating a dead horse, but, if new management ever seriously considers leaving their backyard, there are a number of us out in these parts that would get 'er done.

sdac guy
10-26-2011, 12:35 PM

brianThis is true and another reason I never jumped at the chance. And to forza's and alan's credit (no pun intended) there was some serious cash offered. But it just didn't seem right to take money from a couple members to sponsor the majority of the event. And to recap, at Topeka, we had 66 people registered for the entire event. We had no track costs as the SRT club picked that up. We paid for our insurance, t-shirt printing, the park for the car show, and hospitality night and other incidentals. But the fact is, even with the savings of the track costs, the event still ended up in the red by a few hundred bucks. My gut feeling was that for a west coast event, whether Vegas or SoCal, attendance would most likely be less than the 66 we had at Topeka. So even with a major influx of cash from members who offered to sponsor, it would be a coin toss whether the event would break even or not. Considering the added expenses of travel and lodging each way, and the question I posed to myself in a previous post, I couldn't justify doing it.

Further along this path, Team Shelby made an offer to pick up the track cost including insurance for it if we held it in Vegas. That was for the road course, I didn't get an answer from them on drag racing (though I asked). But for that deal we would have had to change our date to a non-summer event. They said they couldn't do it in June at all because of the Team Shelby event in Tulsa, and the rest of the summer is too hot out there. They wanted us to hold it in October/November or February/March. I felt that to have a successful event we needed everything going for us and to hold the event when kids were still in school and when folks don't normally take vacation was two strikes against the event. And finally they, of course, wanted all the Team Shelby Ford members invited to the event. I didn't have a problem with that at all as we have invited them to our past 4 or 5 events, but this would be one where there probably would be enough of them to show up as to out number the Shelby Dodge attendees. While good for overall attendance, it would again be the situation we had for SDAC-16 where we had a shared event which turned some members off (and they stayed away). So for all the negatives associated with this proposed event, we declined.

While I am sorry I was never able to make a west coast event happen, I still feel I made decisions that were in the best interest of SDAC and its membership.

Barry

glhs0075
10-26-2011, 01:17 PM
ill tell ya, im just happy there's going to be a 22 and where ever it be, ill be happy to attend, if fund/travel limit me to not be able to go, i promise not to come on TM and bish about how far or how much it cost... long live SDAC!!!! remember support the organization that supports your hobby
I support both TM and SDAC.
In fact, I'm trying to "support" SDAC by raising my concern. If SDAC is going to survive and thrive as a club, then I think it needs to be a national club. By only representing east coast interests, I would venture a guess that the club will shrivel in size until it is nothing more than a local club. I hope I'm wrong, but in the mean time, I intend to support SDAC to the best of my ability. I feel that is my duty as a club member. I also feel that, as a club member, the club has a responsibility to address my needs. If not, then there is no incentive for (me) to be a member.

Which comes first, the chicken or the egg? Does the club not support western members because there isn't enough of them, or are there not enough of them because the club doesn't support them? I don't know, I'm fairly new here, but I do think it's something worthy of consideration and discussion.

So if a west coast SDAC isn't feasible, are there any other options we can use to engage the west coast people? I always try to present a solution whenever I raise an issue, but unfortunately in this case I don't have any more suggestions.

This really isn't about me wanting an "SDAC in my driveway" (as far as I know, I'm the only member within a 200 mile radius), it's about wanting a strong, unified national club.

BadAssPerformance
10-26-2011, 01:57 PM
While I am sorry I was never able to make a west coast event happen, I still feel I made decisions that were in the best interest of SDAC and its membership.

I agree. And I'm sure it is a difficult decision to make each year.

Reading all of the posts inspired me to start a new thread to discuss some of the SDAC event requirements. I decided to put that in a new thread in the SDAC Member's section, link as follows:

SDAC Location Discussion Thread (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?62338-Future-SDAC-Locations-Discussion-Members-Thread)

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

I support both TM and SDAC.
In fact, I'm trying to "support" SDAC by raising my concern. If SDAC is going to survive and thrive as a club, then I think it needs to be a national club. By only representing east coast interests, I would venture a guess that the club will shrivel in size until it is nothing more than a local club. I hope I'm wrong, but in the mean time, I intend to support SDAC to the best of my ability. I feel that is my duty as a club member. I also feel that, as a club member, the club has a responsibility to address my needs. If not, then there is no incentive for (me) to be a member.

Which comes first, the chicken or the egg? Does the club not support western members because there isn't enough of them, or are there not enough of them because the club doesn't support them? I don't know, I'm fairly new here, but I do think it's something worthy of consideration and discussion.

So if a west coast SDAC isn't feasible, are there any other options we can use to engage the west coast people? I always try to present a solution whenever I raise an issue, but unfortunately in this case I don't have any more suggestions.

This really isn't about me wanting an "SDAC in my driveway" (as far as I know, I'm the only member within a 200 mile radius), it's about wanting a strong, unified national club.

And your support and sentiments are very much appreciated. :thumb:

I LOVE the idea to engage the west coat (and other regions which have not had a "local" SDAC) and we are in discussions to see what we can do about this.

I just started the other thread so we can discuss stuff like this more in depth.

As for this thread.... back off topic... any more guesses on where SDAC-22 will be? NOBODY has guessed correctly yet! :D

GLHS069
10-26-2011, 02:33 PM
it better not be in cincinati again!!!
memphis?
NY?

glhs0075
10-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Miami?

slasky
10-26-2011, 03:48 PM
BC Canada?

glhs0075
10-26-2011, 04:32 PM
BC Canada?
LOL
Only if we can get Williams Lake!
:D

moparman76_69
10-26-2011, 05:27 PM
It has to be NY or NE hosting. All other chapters in the midwest and northeast have been accounted for except for OVC, Steel city and SV and they've all had events recently.

Indy, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago and Cincy would be out according to JTs post so It has to be east of OH or South of KY.

ShelGame
10-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Bowling Green KY? Great track, has an amusement park, too. Might be tough to get in June also...

turbovanmanČ
10-26-2011, 06:26 PM
LOL
Only if we can get Williams Lake!
:D

Sure, they'll probably even pay US to be there, :lol:

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

This is true and another reason I never jumped at the chance. And to forza's and alan's credit (no pun intended) there was some serious cash offered. But it just didn't seem right to take money from a couple members to sponsor the majority of the event. And to recap, at Topeka, we had 66 people registered for the entire event. We had no track costs as the SRT club picked that up. We paid for our insurance, t-shirt printing, the park for the car show, and hospitality night and other incidentals. But the fact is, even with the savings of the track costs, the event still ended up in the red by a few hundred bucks. My gut feeling was that for a west coast event, whether Vegas or SoCal, attendance would most likely be less than the 66 we had at Topeka. So even with a major influx of cash from members who offered to sponsor, it would be a coin toss whether the event would break even or not. Considering the added expenses of travel and lodging each way, and the question I posed to myself in a previous post, I couldn't justify doing it.

Barry

Ok, no offense Barry but that's just assanine, a few members offer to pay for the event, win or lose and you feel its not fair to them? I don't get that at all. Maybe the turn out would be low but at least it wouldn't have cost SDAC anything but maybe a low turn out year. I hope the new staff could reconsider IF that offer was put on the table again.

Shadow
10-26-2011, 08:00 PM
As for this thread.... back off topic... any more guesses on where SDAC-22 will be? NOBODY has guessed correctly yet! :D

Are you saying your going to go "Ding ding ding, we got ourselves a winner" If someone does?

sdac guy
10-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Ok, no offense Barry but that's just assanine, a few members offer to pay for the event, win or lose and you feel its not fair to them? I don't get that at all. Maybe the turn out would be low but at least it wouldn't have cost SDAC anything but maybe a low turn out year. I hope the new staff could reconsider IF that offer was put on the table again. You didn't read what I wrote. They didn't offer to pay for the event, they offered to pay for major portions of it. That is why I compared it to Topeka, with the track costs covered by the SRT club there, we still lost money on the event because of the low turnout, (i.e. the SRT club covered major portions of the cost).

Knowing how close we were to getting out of debt, I was unwilling to risk going deeper in. If you want to call that asinine, well you are welcome to your opinion. But I don't agree with it, I would call it playing it safe.

So if a west coast SDAC isn't feasible, are there any other options we can use to engage the west coast people? I always try to present a solution whenever I raise an issue, but unfortunately in this case I don't have any more suggestions. See, that is the problem I had. I could not think of another way to support them.

Further, to plan an event in any area requires a couple things. A local chapter to host and help research the available venues and lodging. Access to affordable and cooperative drag strip, and road course, or autocross facility. By cooperative I mean, willing to rent the track on a weekday with no restrictions as to use.

For example, when we tried to put an event in the NE for SDAC-13, we started in New England looking at tracks (including upstate NY). They were either too expensive, couldn't run in daytime or weekdays or both, or couldn't run two lanes for side by side racing. Not only in the northeast but we came down the coast and even Englishtown in NJ had stupid rules for use that we found unacceptable. We got all the way down to Maryland before we found a suitable site and ended up racing at Cecil County. Planning these events is not always as easy as just picking an area.

I'm saying this because so many folks want to say, "Why don't you go _____ ?" And the fact is many areas have been researched and just aren't suitable.

Barry

BadAssPerformance
10-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Ok, no offense Barry but that's just assanine, a few members offer to pay for the event, win or lose and you feel its not fair to them? I don't get that at all. Maybe the turn out would be low but at least it wouldn't have cost SDAC anything but maybe a low turn out year. I hope the new staff could reconsider IF that offer was put on the table again.

Generous member donations may be considered alongside consideration of every othe rmember that could potentially attend. If a member in Alaska wanted to foot the whole bill for the event and all members had to do would be to travel there, we would probably only have an event with a dozen members show up, and we would still have a good time, but in reality it still doesn't make sense at all...

The new staff started a discussion in the "SDAC members" section and may be open to any idea.

Again... 22 has been decided :thumb:

Are you saying your going to go "Ding ding ding, we got ourselves a winner" If someone does?

LOL, maybe... or I might just privately tell that person they got it right and ask them to play along :D

Reaper1
10-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Gainsville, Fl!!?? ;)

Force Fed Mopar
10-26-2011, 09:11 PM
If it's in Kentucky or anywhere south of there, I'm in like Flynn!

It kinda seems to me that the club needs 2 meets, an East Coast and a West Coast. Course I'm sure that incurs more expenses.

168glhs1986
10-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Pittsburg baby! I'll expect a PM from you shortly JT:nod:

88_pacifica
10-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Bowling Green KY? Great track, has an amusement park, too. Might be tough to get in June also...

That's where they hold the Buick Nat's every year and I can affirm that track srface has superior hooking and they use VHT. I would definitely go to that track again as I have a soft spot for that place. HOWEVER.... It is THE heart of GM and the mfgr point for the Corvette(bleh...) so they may not like the MOPAR crowd ;)

What makes it a great place is that there are so many OTHER things to do BESIDES car stuff. The wife and I made a weekend out of it and it went really well. It is VERY good for family events since there are numerous caves(tours), museums, outdoor hobbies/activities, and of course car stuff. I make it a point to try and go every year and I figure if a 6 second GN can hook and make it down the track then a 9 or 10 sec FWD shouldn't have any issues at all. BUT, I have no idea what it costs and I'm sure that it isn't cheap since it is one of the better tracks in the midwest...

Force Fed Mopar
10-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Pittsburg baby! I'll expect a PM from you shortly JT:nod:

Pittsburgh just had one like 4 yrs ago. I was there that time :)

BadAssPerformance
10-26-2011, 09:50 PM
If it's in Kentucky or anywhere south of there, I'm in like Flynn!

It kinda seems to me that the club needs 2 meets, an East Coast and a West Coast. Course I'm sure that incurs more expenses.

Multiple meets may be possible once the club grows. The current event attendance split across two events would be an issue.

Now with that said, i do think we need more regional chapter events like OVC's turbopalooza :nod:

Oh, and for Bowling Green? Could be cool... waiting for the Bowling Green chapter to send me an e-mail ;)

bakes
10-26-2011, 09:52 PM
BC Canada? you laugh but we have nice/fast playground here!!!! with a track 20 mins from the boarder and scenery that can blow your mind if someone wanted to do road trip.

sdac guy
10-26-2011, 10:29 PM
you laugh but we have nice/fast playground here!!!! with a track 20 mins from the boarder and scenery that can blow your mind if someone wanted to do road trip.We went to Canada for SDAC-11. The exchange rate at the time made it very inexpensive to hold. But that was a few months before 9/11 and I doubt strongly if many could make it with the border issues now being about 5-6 times as tough as it was then. One of our events held in BC Canada might be the only place to have it with lower attendance than SoCal.:D:D

(and planning SDAC-11 was a nightmare with the border issues then).

Barry

168glhs1986
10-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Time to raise the dues. Charge $10 per month and that includes entry into all events at SDAC and a turbo-mopar membership (not turdododge). A jelly of the month membership is just as expensive and who the hell wants to eat 12 jars of jelly anyway. I'd rather race the best tracks, have some killer prizes and eat like kings at the annual event.

This will elevate our club into the "elite" status (granted we may only have 5 members) but it will be elite.

Who would join at $10.00 per month?

sdac guy
10-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Time to raise the dues. Charge $10 per month and that includes entry into all events at SDAC and a turbo-mopar membership (not turdododge). That might work if instead of drag racing we did a 3-legged sack race, a wheel barrow race, and played horseshoes instead of an autocross or road course!!

Barry

sy2206
10-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Any more guesses on where SDAC-22 will be? NOBODY has guessed correctly yet! :D

Do we have the guess the exact city, or can it be within the correct "metro area"?

I'm going with Pontiac, MI, to back up my original guess on page 2 of this thread. :)

168glhs1986
10-26-2011, 10:47 PM
That might work if instead of drag racing we did a 3-legged sack race, a wheel barrow race, and played horseshoes instead of an autocross or road course!!

Barry

Ha, that's funny.

Aries_Turbo
10-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Time to raise the dues. Charge $10 per month and that includes entry into all events at SDAC and a turbo-mopar membership (not turdododge). A jelly of the month membership is just as expensive and who the hell wants to eat 12 jars of jelly anyway. I'd rather race the best tracks, have some killer prizes and eat like kings at the annual event.

This will elevate our club into the "elite" status (granted we may only have 5 members) but it will be elite.

Who would join at $10.00 per month?

youd collect significantly less money over the year than the normal dues, general event admission and a typical sdac drag race fee. that will run the club into the ground quick.

besides, that type of broad sweeping change doesnt go over well with, well..... the human race.

168glhs1986
10-26-2011, 11:10 PM
youd collect significantly less money over the year than the normal dues, general event admission and a typical sdac drag race fee. that will run the club into the ground quick.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box, grasshopper. While we're on the subject of raising money for SDAC, where are the T-shirts - that don't have the BIG CARS ON THE BACK and even BIGGER NUMBERS and aren't the annual event T's?

Don't you think you could raise a little money with a nice classy Shelby Dodge Auto Club lettering on the chest of the T?

Or how about a sweet key chain that says SDAC?

Maybe a cool hat with the SDAC lettering or the SDAC logo.....

Oh wait, do we even have a logo?

It's called marketing people! And your members have money, you just have to want to take it......

rant off and I'll now go the the SDAC website and buy a event 21 T-shirt and a mobil 1 oil plaque to support the club, thank you.

Shadow
10-26-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm going with Pontiac, MI, to back up my original guess on page 2 of this thread. :)

"Took me out of Pontiac, When I was just, 17, I had, to get it out of me, if you know, what I mean, What I mean........"

168glhs1986
10-27-2011, 12:14 AM
Whittier CA - the birthplace of Sheby Dodges would be EPIC and dare I say the best attended event in the clubs history

22shelby
10-27-2011, 12:29 AM
Gateway would be cool

Spycker
10-27-2011, 12:46 AM
Whittier,CA ? a few hours away from me! birthplace of shelby dodges = GREAT OUTCOME! and I dont get why all the crying over a west coast event if that one had the most attendance in the clubs history...maybe its just lazyness anywho

Force Fed Mopar
10-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Multiple meets may be possible once the club grows. The current event attendance split across two events would be an issue.

Now with that said, i do think we need more regional chapter events like OVC's turbopalooza :nod:

Oh, and for Bowling Green? Could be cool... waiting for the Bowling Green chapter to send me an e-mail ;)

Well you'd have the 2 events at different dates silly :p One at the beginning of summer and one at the end.

supercrackerbox
10-27-2011, 01:30 AM
It has to be NY or NE hosting.

I promise you it's not NE.

86seeS
10-27-2011, 02:13 AM
I think he ment new england not nebraska... Id say it going to be held in eather NY, Minnesota, or penn.

moparman76_69
10-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Yeah I meant new england. I don't know what type of rotation they put the chapters on, but now that I think of it OVC had 15 and 19 which is 4 years so Steel city could be up again.

dodgeshadowchik
10-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Whittier,CA ? a few hours away from me! birthplace of shelby dodges = GREAT OUTCOME! and I dont get why all the crying over a west coast event if that one had the most attendance in the clubs history...maybe its just lazyness anywho

I think this has been covered a few times already in a few different threads. It's not lazyness.

moparman76_69
10-27-2011, 07:53 AM
What the west coast needs to do is quit making excuses and show up. You guys want all of us to drive 2000 miles to Cali but you all won't drive 2000 miles to show up to an existing location. Either quit bitching or show up!

Johnny
10-27-2011, 07:58 AM
For the West coast, the NW people would need more than a few months notice. None of the cars are ever running. We would need a year to get ready :)

BadAssPerformance
10-27-2011, 09:11 AM
It's called marketing people!

Jeeze, I have a room full of boxes in my house Dave and I havn't even opened yet, can we let the dust settle before telling us how to do our jobs? LOL ;)

Whittier CA - the birthplace of Sheby Dodges would be EPIC and dare I say the best attended event in the clubs history

Too bad the Whittier plant is gone... However, we can look into where our Shelby Dodges were "born" ... places like Belvidere, IL (GLHS's) Sterling Ht's, MI (CSX's/Lancer) and Warren, MI (Dakota)...

Wait a minute... I mentioned that we don't point at a map and pick a place, LOL!

Lazy? Wow, less than a week on the job and already judged, thanks! :thumb:

For the West coast, the NW people would need more than a few months notice. None of the cars are ever running. We would need a year to get ready :)

So only IF there is a West Coast SDAC, will the PNW folks get their cars running? We may need to have a west coast event just to save these cars! ;)

ForzaV12
10-27-2011, 09:25 AM
---------- Post added at 06:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 AM ----------

Jeeze, I have a room full of boxes in my house Dave and I havn't even opened yet, can we let the dust settle before telling us how to do our jobs? LOL ;)

Too bad the Whittier plant is gone... However, we can look into where our Shelby Dodges were "born" ... places like Belvidere, IL (GLHS's) Sterling Ht's, MI (CSX's/Lancer) and Warren, MI (Dakota)...

Wait a minute... I mentioned that we don't point at a map and pick a place, LOL!

So only IF there is a West Coast SDAC, will the PNW folks get their cars running? We may need to have a west coast event just to save these cars! ;)

Naw, no judging. I'm sure its a ton of work, glad you guys stepped up to keep things going!

rooferchris
10-27-2011, 10:08 AM
I joined this "club" the day before this thread started. Not long enough to know the history or any of that ----. I thought it was a bunch of car guys who get together to share ideas and the love of these little cars. I have read some pretty rude comments. Is this what I can expect for my $60? Yesterday we had our baby girl! 5 weeks premature, 4lbs 14oz's and I would have traveled to the end of this earth for her (this I know). If you love these cars like Simon obviously does 1500 miles or over 3000 km's (with some notice) shouldn't get in the way. Share ideas that's what we are supposed to do. Show the west how SDAC became such a successful event out east so we can look at doing the same thing. From what I read there are more than a few fellas that would like to take a crack at that bat. Not me! but I know there are guys.

sdac guy
10-27-2011, 10:15 AM
I joined this "club" the day before this thread started. Not long enough to know the history or any of that ----. I thought it was a bunch of car guys who get together to share ideas and the love of these little cars. I have read some pretty rude comments. Is this what I can expect for my $60? Yesterday we had our baby girl! 5 weeks premature, 4lbs 14oz's and I would have traveled to the end of this earth for her (this I know). If you love these cars like Simon obviously does 1500 miles or over 3000 km's (with some notice) shouldn't get in the way. Share ideas that's what we are supposed to do. Show the west how SDAC became such a successful event out east so we can look at doing the same thing. From what I read there are more than a few fellas that would like to take a crack at that bat. Not me! but I know there are guys.Please do not take this thread as typical of SDAC. All threads here are typical of an internet forum (and not nearly as bad as some forums).:)

Going to one of our events is sort of like going to a family reunion where new family members are added every year. The folks I've met at our events and through this club are some of the best people I have ever known. They have brought me memories I will look back on fondly, forever.

Barry

Aries_Turbo
10-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Sometimes you have to think outside the box, grasshopper.

Since when is a bad financial/member relations decision considered positive thinking outside the box? Especially when you take into account those that are SDAC members that dont even go to the event. im sure they are going to be enthused about paying for others to attend on their dime.

besides, if the events are in the black nowadays, why take a risk at killing the club altogether?

It's called marketing people! And your members have money, you just have to want to take it......

I can see members chomping at the bit to implement your ideas with that attitude. do you have a tax collector day job? lol

doubt it.

great for you, potentially devastating for the finances of the club if you look at attendance trends. have you driven to a SDAC event? plan the personal costs of that? Take into account the current state of the economy and average spending decreases (fuel, vacations, goods etc....) for the average consumer?

the nostalgia would be great, but i dont think its enough to offset the drastically increased travel costs.

I think this has been covered a few times already in a few different threads. It's not lazyness.

+1 If you came to an event and saw how much the planning crew works while everyone else is goofing around and having fun, you wouldnt call them lazy.

What the west coast needs to do is quit making excuses and show up. You guys want all of us to drive 2000 miles to Cali but you all won't drive 2000 miles to show up to an existing location. Either quit bitching or show up!

so true. so how many west coast folks are there in SDAC? How many of them show up to SDAC semi regularly? Alan, Johnny and Butchsuppe are the ones i recall showing up the most. Ive seen johnl and one of the west cost pat's there once too. so whats the ratio of West coast members VS west coast attendees? calculate that percentage and then multiply it by the amount of members in the rest of the country and youll get approximately the amount that would attend the event. then take into account donations and normal event fees and see how well the numbers come out.

JT WTF! get to work! if you dont have SDAC at my house this year then im not renewing my dues and im going to make a big fuss online announcing your idiocy. :)

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

Please do not take this thread as typical of SDAC. All threads here are typical of an internet forum (and not nearly as bad as some forums).:)

Going to one of our events is sort of like going to a family reunion where new family members are added every year. The folks I've met at our events and through this club are some of the best people I have ever known. They have brought me memories I will look back on fondly, forever.

Barry

yeah i LOVE going to sdac! i look forward to it every year. I hate the years that i cant go... :(

Brian

ATaylorRacing
10-27-2011, 11:10 AM
I really think that SDAC should have two events per year, but name them as SDAC East Division and SDAC West Division. The United Manual Transmission Racers series started out as one unit and due to the distances involved spit into a N and S division.

The UMTR N races at:
Magnolia Dragway near Canton, OH
Milan Dragway near Milan, MI
Pittsburgh Dragway near Pittsburgh, PA
Thompson Raceway Park near Thompson, OH
Killkare Raceway near Xenia, OH
National Trail near Hebron, OH

The UMTR S races at:
Ohio Valley near Louisville, KY
Lucas Oil Dragway (Indy)
Muncie Dragway near Muncie, IN
Thorntown Dragway near Kenton, KY
Mountain Park Dragway near Clay City, KY
Edgewater near Cincy

We have also ran joint division races at Edgewater, National Trail, and Kilkare.

I drove my cars to every S division race, ended up third in points this year, and had NO breakage!
(Knock on wooden head)

The Clay City, KY race was 260 miles from my house....drove there, raced, took three small naps on the way home and was back by 6 am.

I remember vividly the SDAC event at Topeka...both actually. Those were over 500 miles from my house one way. The second one that corresponded with the SRT Nationals was my favorite one. Matchbox had sat for 4 1/2 years since, at 200,000 miles the second motor was totally worn out and the first automatic put in it was toast also. I had gone through a divorce and had no money to get it up and running. A rural router had just spent over $1000 to have his transmission rebuilt and the tall block 2.5 did not use any oil...even at 235,000 miles! He had just gotten t-boned and GAVE me the drivetrain. The dealership pulled out the worn out stuff and stuck in the stock 2.5 tall block after removal of the BS and the automatic. I had them stick in a spare full manual valve body and 3500 stahl Coan converter too. Three weeks later I was driving it towards Topeka and had to stop 10-11 times to jet up the carb since my EGT guage showed that at 65 mph it was going wasy too lean. At the track I changed jets one more time and proceeded to kick rear...fittingly meating a fellow SDAC member in a yellow SRT4....Cindys husband in the finals. Driving 500 miles in that car with no interior was like driving non-stop in the Baja 1000! The first SDAC there I remember winning, but what stuck out in my mind was racing a Vette on I-70 and was beating him...then we both flew past a State Trooper that was hiding between a couple of semis, just waiting for morons like us. He said I was doing over 123 and that was the reading he got on the Vette. HE LET ME GO....he said because he'd never think a Judge would believe that a Horizon would go faster than a Vette...and he thought it was kind of cool that I was crawling away from him! Wheeeew!!!

dodgeshadowchik
10-27-2011, 11:31 AM
+1 If you came to an event and saw how much the planning crew works while everyone else is goofing around and having fun, you wouldnt call them lazy.

Yup, I know. ;) Helped with the registration process this year.. brought out some thing for Barry, as well. So got a taste of what's involved. But I know that was only the tip of the iceberg!

sy2206
10-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Wow, this thread went down the crapper quickly!!

sdac guy
10-27-2011, 11:44 AM
so true. so how many west coast folks are there in SDAC?

BrianIn the membership list I just gave to JT there are 22 paid active members from UT, AZ, NV, CA, OR, & WA. And we do have 7 Canadian members that live in AB & BC. So 29 members total are considered west. Out of a total membership of a little over 300. We normally get about 1/3 to 1/2 of our members attending our events, so if that figure holds true for the west coast, we could expect at least 10, maybe 15 members to attend a west coast event (but there would certainly be another 5 -10 non-members also). And the number of folks attending from the east would most likely drop by a large percentage.

Makes quite a case for a west coast event, eh?

Barry

Shadow
10-27-2011, 11:52 AM
I think he ment new england not nebraska... Id say it going to be held in eather NY, Minnesota, or penn.

Minnesota would be like a dream............ about 1/2 the distance I traveled this year!

I'm thinking it's going to be in the Ohio area............

GLHS069
10-27-2011, 12:33 PM
The only 1/4 mile dragstrip in MN is Brainerd and I'm sure that's not cheap.

mcsvt
10-27-2011, 01:15 PM
How about NJ? Atco for drags and New Jersey Motorsports Park (http://www.njmp.com/index.php) for a road course? Plenty of places in the area for a car show and hotel.

contraption22
10-27-2011, 01:28 PM
How about NJ? Atco for drags and New Jersey Motorsports Park (http://www.njmp.com/index.php) for a road course? Plenty of places in the area for a car show and hotel.

I dunno about NJMP, but I do know Atco has pretty good rates for weekday rentals. The only problem is they have a very low cap on the number of drag cars and spectators allowed. Going by memory, even lower than would be any good to us. Worth a phone call tho.

Nevermind. They have it on their site. Track rental from 9:30 to 4:30pm is $3000, with a maximum of 15 cars.

sy2206
10-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Minnesota would be an awesome place to hold it. BIR in Brainerd would be perfect. They have a very nice drag strip and road course right next to each other on the same grounds, along with lots of room for a the car show, not to mention the perfect area for an autox. It really would be a one stop shop. And I do believe the cost to rent the facility is within our budget. Along with that, the Brainerd/Baxter area is a big tourist part of MN, so there's tons of stuff for the wives/kids to do, along with excellent hotels and lots of great places to eat.

However.....I was told by Barry years ago that MN would never happen. Too far north, and too far west. :(

168glhs1986
10-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Sweet JT. If we could remember we are SHELBY club first and foremost. We have the ability to market the imo most significant name in american sports car history, not many clubs can claim that! Can't wait to see what items are in the boxes. I'll behave now thanks for your ear. Bwt - my name is Mike:)

glhs0075
10-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Minnesota would be an awesome place to hold it. BIR in Brainerd would be perfect. They have a very nice drag strip and road course right next to each other on the same grounds, along with lots of room for a the car show, not to mention the perfect area for an autox. It really would be a one stop shop. And I do believe the cost to rent the facility is within our budget. Along with that, the Brainerd/Baxter area is a big tourist part of MN, so there's tons of stuff for the wives/kids to do, along with excellent hotels and lots of great places to eat.

However.....I was told by Barry years ago that MN would never happen. Too far north, and too far west. :(

MN would be awesome! But it's only 1100 miles away, that's practically my driveway! Totally unacceptable!

Spycker
10-27-2011, 06:30 PM
I wanted to go to SDAC 21 but I couldnt since I barely got a job around the time. I might show up SDAC and at BAP <3 u haha

BadAssPerformance
10-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Sweet JT. If we could remember we are SHELBY club first and foremost. We have the ability to market the imo most significant name in american sports car history, not many clubs can claim that! Can't wait to see what items are in the boxes. I'll behave now thanks for your ear. Bwt - my name is Mike:)

LOL, I call everyone Jeeze :p

I gotta point out tho, we are not the SHELBY Club... we are the SHELBY DODGE Club :thumb:

And really this comes to light as I just picked up the SHELBY Annual magazine and only found ONE Dodge in it.. a Viper in the add for the Shelby speed shop right next to a pic of a Vette... yep, no love. Unless anyone else found one I missed?

Don't get me wrong, Carroll Shelby is one of the greatest names in american automotive history, and I wouldn't mind owning a Shelby Ford or two, however, With this lack of love, it does make me emphasize the "Dodge" part of our heritage :nod:

dodgeshadowchik
10-27-2011, 09:52 PM
LOL, I call everyone Jeeze :p

I gotta point out tho, we are not the SHELBY Club... we are the SHELBY DODGE Club :thumb:

And really this comes to light as I just picked up the SHELBY Annual magazine and only found ONE Dodge in it.. a Viper in the add for the Shelby speed shop right next to a pic of a Vette... yep, no love. Unless anyone else found one I missed?

Don't get me wrong, Carroll Shelby is one of the greatest names in american automotive history, and I wouldn't mind owning a Shelby Ford or two, however, With this lack of love, it does make me emphasize the "Dodge" part of our heritage :nod:

Wait, what? Did you just use that 4-letter "f" word? ;)

168glhs1986
10-27-2011, 10:26 PM

Ha, The only Shelby Ford I would own would be from the 60's because those are the ones Carroll really built. If I had a gun to my head and was forced to buy a Mustang now, I'd take the new Boss 302 anyday over a Shelbyized model.

As for getting no love in the Shelby Annual....Please don't take this the wrong way....but how many photos or articles did SDAC submit to the Shelby annual? We need to promote our club and our association with Carroll. No one is going to do it for us.

Team Shelby (the name is all inclusive) has their annual event every year to celebrate Carroll's birthday. Why not have an SDAC presence there. Make it another annual event for SDAC. This will do a several things.

- Legitimize our club because Carroll is usually in attendence.
- Introduce the Ford and Cobra crew to the Shelby Dodges era and at the same time gain their -- respect and possibly new sales of our old cars.
- Allow the West Coast Members to partake in a local event.

I'm pretty sure Alan and Steve have attended these events in the past but we need a bigger presence there to promote the national club.

I know if SDAC had a presence at Carroll's birthday bash and the Shelby Dodge's weren't just a couple rouge cars in attendence God-willing I would make the trip to Vegas.

If it weren't for Carroll Shelby's name on my car I wouldn't of had any interest in buying a freakin Omni. For me it was Carroll that made these cars fun to drive, not Mopar.

Now can we have an official annual gathering at the Shelby Bash?

cordes
10-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Ha, The only Shelby Ford I would own would be from the 60's because those are the ones Carroll really built. If I had a gun to my head and was forced to buy a Mustang now, I'd take the new Boss 302 anyday over a Shelbyized model.

As for getting no love in the Shelby Annual....Please don't take this the wrong way....but how many photos or articles did SDAC submit to the Shelby annual? We need to promote our club and our association with Carroll. No one is going to do it for us.

Team Shelby (the name is all inclusive) has their annual event every year to celebrate Carroll's birthday. Why not have an SDAC presence there. Make it another annual event for SDAC. This will do a several things.

- Introduce the Ford and Cobra crew to the Shelby Dodges era and at the same time gain their -- respect and possibly new sales of our old cars.

I'm pretty sure Alan and Steve have attended these events in the past but we need a bigger presence there to promote the national club.

I know if SDAC had a presence at Carroll's birthday bash and the Shelby Dodge's weren't just a couple rouge cars in attendence God-willing I would make the trip to Vegas.

If it weren't for Carroll Shelby's name on my car I wouldn't of had any interest in buying a freakin Omni. For me it was Carroll that made these cars fun to drive, not Mopar.

IIRC there are threads from multiple years when JT and Craig have attended the annual Shelby even with a host of others.

Perhaps you could crash the events which we are barred from?

168glhs1986
10-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Perhaps you could crash the events which we are barred from?

Why are you saying Shelby Dodges are not welcome at the Shelby Birthday Bash?

cordes
10-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Why are you saying Shelby Dodges are not welcome at the Shelby Birthday Bash?

I'm unsure where you read that. I suggested that you attempt to crash the events which we are barred from attending, of which there are several throughout the year last I checked. If they've changed the policy on that someone please correct me.

glhs0075
10-27-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm unsure where you read that. I suggested that you attempt to crash the events which we are barred from attending, of which there are several throughout the year last I checked. If they've changed the policy on that someone please correct me.
As far as I'm aware, we're welcome at all Team Shelby events (better be, I pay my dues!!!)
We are not welcome at SAAC events. Just as we don't allow Mustangs at our event.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

I'm not sure where the Series 1 guys get to go?
:confused:

cordes
10-27-2011, 11:14 PM
As far as I'm aware, we're welcome at all Team Shelby events (better be, I pay my dues!!!)
We are not welcome at SAAC events. Just as we don't allow Mustangs at our event.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

I'm not sure where the Series 1 guys get to go?
:confused:

Perhaps Team Shelby participates in the SAAC events and those are the ones which we are excluded from? Either way it really turns me off.

168glhs1986
10-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Per old threads here, any and all Shelby's are welcomed at the Shelby Bash.

sdac guy
10-27-2011, 11:17 PM
IIRC there are threads from multiple years when JT and Craig have attended the annual Shelby even with a host of others.

Perhaps you could crash the events which we are barred from?You are correct Brian, JT and Craig and a number of other SDAC members and Shelby Dodge friends have been to at least a couple of the birthday bashes. The SD's made a very good showing too!

And the last time out they towed Craig's 1986 GLHS from Windsor Ontario all the way to LA. On the way back they ran into a terrible winter storm. This is just one more reason why folks from the east probably would not attend an SDAC event in Vegas in the winter, ya never know what kind of weather you'll be towing in.

As for the second comment, indeed the event that holds the name of the Team Shelby annual event in Tulsa is open only to vehicles powered by Ford. It has been a small point of contention on the Team Shelby forum, brought up a few times by some of our members. The reason for that is Team Shelby took an existing, long time running, annual Ford event and put their name on it.

Privately, Carroll does care about SDAC and the Shelby Dodges, but currently it is Ford that is his bread and butter, and as long as that relationship lasts, you are unlikely to see Carroll make any public overtures to the Shelby Dodge enthusiasts or clubs. Behind the scenes he is supportive, Team Shelby, which he founded for all Shelby enthusiasts, has been very generous to SDAC at our events in the past few years. The leaders of Team Shelby even made it out to our Detroit event in 2008, though they preferred to stay behind the scenes.

Barry

168glhs1986
10-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Perhaps Team Shelby participates in the SAAC events and those are the ones which we are excluded from? Either way it really turns me off.

SAAC celebrates Shelby cars built up to 1970 so it's pretty tough to be included in their events.

sdac guy
10-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Indeed SAAC doesn't allow SD's at their event, but they never have, and it is not Carroll's or Team Shelby's fault, it has been their policy for well over 30 years to only allow Fords.

Mike, Brian may not have known which events SD's are not allowed at but as you can read in my previous post, the Team Shelby annual gathering in Tulsa in the middle of June (the week before SDAC usually) is closed to everything but Ford.

Barry

glhs0075
10-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks for clarifying Barry, I had forgotten about Tulsa.

168glhs1986
10-27-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks for clarifying Barry, I had forgotten about Tulsa.

xxxx2

cordes
10-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Thanks for clarifying that Barry. I was thinking that the elephant memory may be failing me for a moment there.

ForzaV12
10-28-2011, 12:23 AM

We have had a pretty good presence at that event over the years-8-10 cars at least once and quite a few folks. We have surprised a number of the Shelby/Ford folks and most of them have been pretty cool regarding our heaps. The issue with that event, is that it is expensive. Tough for some to swing in the current economy and I believe attendance overall has suffered. Last year was the first one I haven't attended as our group had dwindled to a couple folks and I didn't want to beat on the GLHS again as I didn't think that particular car had anything left to prove. It would be fun to see your S car out there.
Gotta say though, we aren't lacking for events-just a "national" meet. ;)

Warren Stramer
10-28-2011, 09:18 AM
This may have been asked already but,..Has Carrol Shelby ever been invited to an SDAC national event?, and has he ever attended?

Shadow
10-28-2011, 11:20 AM
This may have been asked already but,..Has Carrol Shelby ever been invited to an SDAC national event?, and has he ever attended?

Could have swore I saw pics of Carrol at one of the earlier SDAC's?

sdac guy
10-28-2011, 11:48 AM
This may have been asked already but,..Has Carrol Shelby ever been invited to an SDAC national event?, and has he ever attended?The management of the club prior to me, the "Maryland group", used to give away copies of the declines to the invites they sent to Shelby over the years. These were letters (supposedly) signed by Carroll saying how he regretted that he would not be able to attend. Copies of these letters were given away at awards night to a "lucky" few.

However, at SDAC-7 Carroll was in town to help celebrate Neil Hannemann's birthday (among other reasons). While there, Neil told Carroll our event was going on and asked him if he would be interested in visiting. So during the car show, mid-morning, Carroll paid us a visit. My avatar shows Carroll sitting next to me in the Great Lakes Chapter tent. He sat there signing autographs for almost an hour. I had a grin on my face for the rest of the event.

Barry

Warren Stramer
10-28-2011, 12:04 PM
The management of the club prior to me, the "Maryland group", used to give away copies of the declines to the invites they sent to Shelby over the years. These were letters (supposedly) signed by Carroll saying how he regretted that he would not be able to attend. Copies of these letters were given away at awards night to a "lucky" few.

However, at SDAC-7 Carroll was in town to help celebrate Neil Hannemann's birthday (among other reasons). While there, Neil told Carroll our event was going on and asked him if he would be interested in visiting. So during the car show, mid-morning, Carroll paid us a visit. My avatar shows Carroll sitting next to me in the Great Lakes Chapter tent. He sat there signing autographs for almost an hour. I had a grin on my face for the rest of the event.

Barry

Wow, that would be cool. I could ask him a lot of questions. Where was SDAC 7, and who is Neil Hannemann? This was way before my SDAC interests.

turbovanmanČ
10-28-2011, 12:35 PM
The management of the club prior to me, the "Maryland group", used to give away copies of the declines to the invites they sent to Shelby over the years. These were letters (supposedly) signed by Carroll saying how he regretted that he would not be able to attend. Copies of these letters were given away at awards night to a "lucky" few.

Barry

Pretty cool, got a bigger pic of your avatar?

30 PSI SHADOW
10-28-2011, 02:29 PM
i was there and met carroll in person. neat guy to talk to. hopefully we could garner his attention this coming year..34897

30 PSI SHADOW
10-28-2011, 02:31 PM
im sorry it was detroit. people were pulling parts of their cars,shirts off their backs,anything the can use to get an autograph.

sdac guy
10-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Wow, that would be cool. I could ask him a lot of questions. Where was SDAC 7, and who is Neil Hannemann? This was way before my SDAC interests.As Bill B wrote, SDAC-7 was in Detroit. Neil Hannemann was a Chrysler engineer assigned to the Shelby/Chrysler Performance Center in Sante Fe springs. He also drove quite a bit for Team Shelby back in the day.

Pretty cool, got a bigger pic of your avatar?

I am at the left edge of the photo, Mike Bachmann is standing behind me. I can't recall the name of the guy getting his shirt signed, but behind him in shorts is Dave St. Louis. Behind Carroll is Neil Hannemann holding his baby, I don't know who the older fellow next to Neil is.

My Shelby Lancer prototype car is behind the banner. Carroll signed the strut tower that day. Neil drove the car in SCCA competition. When I told Carroll it was the "auction" car, Carroll looked at Neil and said, "Damn Neil, you must have put a thousand miles on that car racing it." I was delighted. I got Neil to sign the other strut tower later on.

Barry

88_pacifica
10-28-2011, 03:23 PM
I can't recall the name of the guy getting his shirt signed, ...

HA! It looks like Jon Trotter(minigts)... :thumb:

moparman76_69
10-28-2011, 04:45 PM
The pic title says J Falco.

sy2206
10-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Neil Hannemann was a Chrysler engineer assigned to the Shelby/Chrysler Performance Center in Sante Fe springs. He also drove quite a bit for Team Shelby back in the day.

A few years later, Neil was heavily involved in the Viper program at Chrysler as an engineer, and also drove the GTS-R's in many big races, including some 24hour races in the US and Europe. He left Chrsyler for a while and went to work for Ford on the Ford GT developement team, and also worked for Saleen, building the S7, and McLaren when they built the SLR. Kinda crazy to go from our cars to those cars! Anyway, I used to work for a couple different Viper race teams, and Neil was the driving coach for the owner/driver of one of the cars I worked on, so I got to BS with him often about the Shelby days. Neil is a great guy, lots of neat stories. For those of you that have the Shelby VIN lists, you'll see his name in the "dealer" column of '86 GLHS #003. Neil bought that car directly from Shelby. I was talking to Neil about it one day, and he said he was BS'ing with Carroll Shelby about the GLHS's and decided he'd like to buy one. He said he was joking around with Carroll and told him, "I want the lowest number available." Carroll replied, "Well, I'm keeping #001, and I believe #002 is already spoken for also, but if you want #003, it's all yours." He picked it up directly from the plant in Whittier and drove it home.

cordes
10-28-2011, 07:24 PM
HA! It looks like Jon Trotter(minigts)... :thumb:

You beat me to it.

sdac guy
10-28-2011, 07:56 PM
The pic title says J Falco.Jimmy Falco took the pics. Actually this pic is off a CD that he edited with pics he took at SDAC's 5-8. We gave away a copy in each goody bag at SDAC-10.

And a funny note about Neil's #003 car Mark commented on. Neil was our guest speaker at SDAC-7 also. He told the story of the breakup of him and his first wife, who got the car. One evening after a nasty argument between them, she went out to the car, started it and floored it. It sat there in the driveway engine revving and bouncing off the rev limiter for what seemed like hours to Neil, but it really was probably only a couple minutes. Not being able to blow up the car, she turned it off and went back in the house. Some on here may recall when # 003 was for sale on ebay a few years ago. It was pretty ragged and had very high mileage.

Jimmy Falco shaking Carroll's hand.

Barry

sy2206
10-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Some on here may recall when # 003 was for sale on ebay a few years ago. It was pretty ragged and had very high mileage.

Last I heard, that car was up in your neck of the woods, Detroit area somewhere, undergoing a full restoration.

Speaking of Detroit... :D

rx2mazda
10-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Jimmy Falco took the pics. Actually this pic is off a CD that he edited with pics he took at SDAC's 5-8. We gave away a copy in each goody bag at SDAC-10.

And a funny note about Neil's #003 car Mark commented on. Neil was our guest speaker at SDAC-7 also. He told the story of the breakup of him and his first wife, who got the car. One evening after a nasty argument between them, she went out to the car, started it and floored it. It sat there in the driveway engine revving and bouncing off the rev limiter for what seemed like hours to Neil, but it really was probably only a couple minutes. Not being able to blow up the car, she turned it off and went back in the house. Some on here may recall when # 003 was for sale on ebay a few years ago. It was pretty ragged and had very high mileage.

Jimmy Falco shaking Carroll's hand.

Barry

Is that Mary Beth aka DSC??

BadAssPerformance
10-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Is that Mary Beth aka DSC??

The redish haired girl? Nope. I'd guess Bachman's oldest daughter maybe?

rx2mazda
10-28-2011, 09:21 PM
The redish haired girl? Nope. I'd guess Bachman's oldest daughter maybe?

it was a joke JT, keep up. :lol:

turbovanmanČ
10-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks for sharing guys, awesome, :nod:

BadAssPerformance
10-28-2011, 09:33 PM
it was a joke JT, keep up. :lol:

LOL, sorry, didnt see a ;) or anything...

Johnny
10-28-2011, 10:07 PM
SAAC "did" allow a group of shelby dodges at one of their events that was in portland oregon. Not on the track, but were allowed in a separate section of the car show and at the autocross. In the auto cross, a Pantera got first place in modified. A
Sunbeam tiger got first place in stock, my GLHS got third fastest time and second place in stock. This was in the early 90's.
The only time any on the mention of shelby dodge was mentioned at the awards banquet was when i got my tropy for second place. They did not give awards to the dodges for the show section.

Johnny

BadAssPerformance
10-28-2011, 10:14 PM
LOL, nice work Johnny! But yeah, no love :(

This is why we have our own Shelby club... SDAC :nod:

sdac guy
10-28-2011, 11:14 PM
The redish haired girl? Nope. I'd guess Bachman's oldest daughter maybe?No, its not either of Mike's daughters, not Bob Meijer's, not Dean's. I looked at the pic for some time and she really doesn't look familiar to me at all.

Barry

ATaylorRacing
10-28-2011, 11:34 PM
SAAC "did" allow a group of shelby dodges at one of their events that was in portland oregon. Not on the track, but were allowed in a separate section of the car show and at the autocross. In the auto cross, a Pantera got first place in modified. A
Sunbeam tiger got first place in stock, my GLHS got third fastest time and second place in stock. This was in the early 90's.
The only time any on the mention of shelby dodge was mentioned at the awards banquet was when i got my tropy for second place. They did not give awards to the dodges for the show section.

Johnny

Many years ago when SDAC had their drag races at Muncie we invited the SAAC crowd over to race us and NONE showed They invited us to race them at Indy and I went. I got runner up and the prize was.....NOTHING. When I signed up for the event they were very vague on what the prize money would be and when I ended up runner up they said only the winner got anything...ummmmmmmmmmmm. I was using the 85 GLH Turbo and giving all of them head starts....it was funny watching those old guys beating on the steering wheels of their old AC Cobra replicas while I was coming around them early due to their crappy lights...then I raced a guy that had flown in from CA and rented a car. I let him back around me on the top end by accident, and his darn near as good a RT as mine got me! What year was that SDAC?

black86glhs
10-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Is that Mary Beth aka DSC??No Carroll.....she is not in the stroller behind Mr. Shelby. That is Neil's baby. Geez, how old do you think she isn't??!!:D

Johnny
10-29-2011, 12:58 AM
what year was that sdac?

1992, saac 17

And Mr.Shelby was there. I got his autograph. I stood in line with all the ford guys. When i handed him the april 1986 issue of hot rod magazine to sign the cover, he looked at it, looked at me, looked again at the cover (it had the glhs and gt350 on the cover) and back at me and asked "
You have one of these?" I said yes i had a glhs. He said back to me in front of all the ford guys...
"That's my favorite"
Then signed it for me, i have it framed.

Johnny

black86glhs
10-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Let's have SDAC right on the San Andrea's fault line. When all the whiny left coasters get sucked up by the land during a seismic event, we will be done with all the BS. How does that sound?:thumb:

30 PSI SHADOW
10-29-2011, 01:20 AM
johnny that was awesome! sounds like a story rick d told me...

sdac guy
10-29-2011, 05:49 AM
....... What year was that SDAC?SDAC 4 was Indy in 1994 and we drag raced at Muncie.

Just for point of reference for how far we've come. DaveZ had the Omni from Hell there (the Super 60 package development car). It ran high 12's and was the quickest car on the track. We ooohed and ahhhed just like we did watching Brian Slowe run a mid 9 this year.

Barry

BadAssPerformance
10-29-2011, 09:13 AM
1992, saac 17

And Mr.Shelby was there. I got his autograph. I stood in line with all the ford guys. When i handed him the april 1986 issue of hot rod magazine to sign the cover, he looked at it, looked at me, looked again at the cover (it had the glhs and gt350 on the cover) and back at me and asked "
You have one of these?" I said yes i had a glhs. He said back to me in front of all the ford guys...
"That's my favorite"
Then signed it for me, i have it framed.

Johnny

Cool story!

Was that 1991 though, 1992 would be SDAC-2?

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

SDAC 4 was Indy in 1994 and we drag raced at Muncie.

Just for point of reference for how far we've come. DaveZ had the Omni from Hell there (the Super 60 package development car). It ran high 12's and was the quickest car on the track. We ooohed and ahhhed just like we did watching Brian Slowe run a mid 9 this year.

Barry

I remember hearing about this and also the SAAC and SDAC shenanigans as the events were following one another I sooo wanted to go, but beeing a poor student I had opted for rebuilding the motor in my newly aquired Shelby Z instead... shoulda gone without it, LOL!

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

No, its not either of Mike's daughters, not Bob Meijer's, not Dean's. I looked at the pic for some time and she really doesn't look familiar to me at all.

Barry

OK, then, just someone's random kid... "hey, hold this, ask the old guy to sign it" LOL

Johnny
10-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Was that 1991 though, 1992 would be SDAC-2?
I said SAAC 17, not sdac.

BadAssPerformance
10-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Gotcha.. the quoted "what year was that sdac" threw me :thumb:

Force Fed Mopar
10-29-2011, 12:16 PM
What's the furthest South SDAC has ever been? Memphis? I know when I first got into these cars (when there was still an active SC chapter) there was a lot of complaining that SDAC never came far enough south. It's always been at least a day's drive from here. It was one of the reasons our chapter broke up. I think we probably whined as much as the west coast guys are doing now, also to no avail lol. I think it was said that Barry said it was too hot down here, but it can't be the real reason. It was over 100 damn degrees in Pittsburgh at SDAC 17 (which I went to), I got scorched there.

sdac guy
10-29-2011, 01:24 PM
I thought the Carolina's chapter really fell apart with the death of Ray Edwards. But we worked with both Ray and with Derek Price (from the old Mid-South chapter) looking around the southeast for a site and we couldn't really find much of interest there. It seemed most if not all the drag strips were 1/8 mile, and most didn't have scoreboards. IIRC the area around Savannah GA showed the most promise.

Of course this has been many years ago and things may have improved in the area. But today with no chapters in the area, there is nobody there to check out things and help SDAC with the event.

Barry

135sohc
10-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Way before my time but does anyone remember sdac 2 @ MIR ? Area has changed alot since then but it would be a short drive for me atleast :D

DevoBuzz
10-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Way before my time but does anyone remember sdac 2 @ MIR ? Area has changed alot since then but it would be a short drive for me atleast :D

I went to an early one - Budd Lake?? - something like that. Near Waldorf. Is that the one to which you refer?

moparman76_69
10-29-2011, 02:12 PM
If the SE guys could get it together and plan one for Bristol, TN that area is super nice. I'd definitely go. Thunder Valley is an awesome 1/4mi. and if you could find a SCCA group to help out the parking lot of Bristol speedway would be nice for an autocross.

sdac guy
10-29-2011, 03:05 PM
I went to an early one - Budd Lake?? - something like that. Near Waldorf. Is that the one to which you refer?I think SDAC-2 was held in Budd's Creek MD, with drag racing at MIR.

SDAC-1 was in MD also, and the only location I can dig up for it is the car show was held at Poole's farm. There was also an autocross at an SCCA event at Towson University.

Barry

Force Fed Mopar
10-29-2011, 03:48 PM
I thought the Carolina's chapter really fell apart with the death of Ray Edwards. But we worked with both Ray and with Derek Price (from the old Mid-South chapter) looking around the southeast for a site and we couldn't really find much of interest there. It seemed most if not all the drag strips were 1/8 mile, and most didn't have scoreboards. IIRC the area around Savannah GA showed the most promise.

Of course this has been many years ago and things may have improved in the area. But today with no chapters in the area, there is nobody there to check out things and help SDAC with the event.

Barry

I was thinking of the SC part of the chapter, but yeah, Ray's death was a blow to the remaining NC chapter. A year or so ago they were still making a showing at the Autofair in Charlotte, haven't heard much since.

From what I can find, there aren't any 1/4 tracks anywhere close to Savannah. There is Atlanta Dragway in Commerce GA, it's a nice facility, I've been there several time for Fast Ford events.

http://www.atlantadragway.com/

And it's only 30 mins from Road Atlanta road course too. I've been there multiple times w/ a friend racing in the vintage car races, very nice place.

http://www.roadatlanta.com/

There's also a road course in Kershaw SC called Carolina Motorsports Park, it's a nice facility also (I've been there once, and Rattlesnake on here races there all the time). Smaller than Road Atlanta, might have cheaper rental rates. It's about 3.5 hrs away from Atlanta Dragway. Columbia or Greenville could serve as a midpoint between the two.

http://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com/

Edit: Lol nvm on Road Atlanta, just did some searching and found some posts on a Mercedes forum from last year, looks like it cost $20k a day to rent it :faint:

BadAssPerformance
10-29-2011, 07:33 PM
If the SE guys could get it together and plan one for Bristol, TN that area is super nice. I'd definitely go. Thunder Valley is an awesome 1/4mi. and if you could find a SCCA group to help out the parking lot of Bristol speedway would be nice for an autocross.

Eastern Tennesse? Tail of the Dragon anyone? Unfortunately that further from an ocean than Las vegas is, so would need ton of research, and we woudl need a E-TN chapter to set it up...

Edit: Lol nvm on Road Atlanta, just did some searching and found some posts on a Mercedes forum from last year, looks like it cost $20k a day to rent it :faint:

Holy SH:faint:!

I visited Panoz a decade or so ago and there was an 89 CSX in the parking lot... never did find out whos it was, but would be cool i fit was an insider that coudl save us 20k, LOL!

sdac guy
10-29-2011, 11:13 PM
... on Road Atlanta, just did some searching and found some posts on a Mercedes forum from last year, looks like it cost $20k a day to rent it :faint:

Yeah a lot of tracks are in that league on price. When we quoted Watkins Glen in 2003 it was $10K a day and so was Blackhawk Farms when we were there for SDAC-14. We got a deal from a guy that does track time for Mini-Coopers though so our guys only paid $200 each for the day.

I went to the "Mitty" at Road Atlanta in 2004. GrassRootsMotorsports invited SDAC to it. We just went to watch, there were tons of neat cars. But quite a few Shelby Dodges showed up. Part of the event was a parade lap for the car clubs (and others) and I got to drive my Daytona around the track. Awesome!

Barry

black86glhs
10-29-2011, 11:39 PM
What about something near Charlotte, NC? Anything good around there SDAC wise?

sy2206
10-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Tail of the Dragon anyone

Hell yes!!! You KNOW I'm down for that!!!:thumb:

Force Fed Mopar
10-30-2011, 12:42 AM
I'm always down for the Tail of the Dragon :)

turbomini
10-30-2011, 01:22 AM
if your looking for a place to have a road corse style track have you looked into mid ohio? i think thats the name of the track. been in that area before its freaking awesome!

sdac guy
10-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Something to keep in mind folks. If folks are looking for an SDAC in their area then they should look into the track rental cost themselves, not just suggest a track. And the reason cost is such a factor is that despite how popular a road course event sounds on this forum, we rarely got more than 20 people to participate in them in the past. So, if a track costs $10K to rent, and we need to pay for $2mil in liability insurance, then our cost for the day would be about $13K (or more). When we divide that by the 20 people that might sign up for the event, it comes out to $650 each for the day.

Not very many folks are willing to pay that much for a day at the track (probably less than a half dozen) so that makes the track too expensive. We need to find tracks that typically cost $2-3000 a day so that when we add insurance costs we can keep the cost to each person near $200-250 or so.

So, please quit suggesting tracks for SDAC management to look into. YOU do the leg work and find out how much a track costs to rent for the day and whether that cost includes insurance or if additional liability insurance needs to be purchased by SDAC.

Barry

168glhs1986
10-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Track rentals are expensive so a piggy back with another club is the best way to go. Takes a lot of planning and maybe some travel time.

Johnny
10-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Or just have an autocross instead....

BadAssPerformance
10-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Something to keep in mind folks. If folks are looking for an SDAC in their area then they should look into the track rental cost themselves, not just suggest a track. And the reason cost is such a factor is that despite how popular a road course event sounds on this forum, we rarely got more than 20 people to participate in them in the past. So, if a track costs $10K to rent, and we need to pay for $2mil in liability insurance, then our cost for the day would be about $13K (or more). When we divide that by the 20 people that might sign up for the event, it comes out to $650 each for the day.

Not very many folks are willing to pay that much for a day at the track (probably less than a half dozen) so that makes the track too expensive. We need to find tracks that typically cost $2-3000 a day so that when we add insurance costs we can keep the cost to each person near $200-250 or so.

So, please quit suggesting tracks for SDAC management to look into. YOU do the leg work and find out how much a track costs to rent for the day and whether that cost includes insurance or if additional liability insurance needs to be purchased by SDAC.

Barry

True Story

Anyone want to investigate tracks? Just let us know what you are looking into... Please post in the "future SDAC event thread (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?62338-Future-SDAC-Locations-Discussion-Members-Thread)" Thanks!

Track rentals are expensive so a piggy back with another club is the best way to go. Takes a lot of planning and maybe some travel time.

And we have done that, and always a possibility :thumb:

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Or just have an autocross instead....

And we have done that as well :thumb:

moparjon2007
10-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Barry is right, at a cost of $650 a car you would turn a lot of people into spectators, maybe an autox is the way to go. Cones aren't very expensive depending on how many you need, and large parking lots are everywhere. Plus an autox course is a lot more forgiving than losing your brakes hauling butt into some corner, especially if some people plan to drive their car to and from the event.

30 PSI SHADOW
10-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Ive mentioned this in the past. Like maybe the SVO club. there engines and setups are very similar to ours (except for RWD) And they have a convention every year too. we could learn things from each other, not to mention the heads up fun! Could split the cost of the tracks.

i have spoken to Eric,the moderator for that club just to get an idea on how they operate. they just had their yearly convention and had about 40 cars. they pretty much do it the same way we do. this was the response from eric.

Hi Bill.
We just had our national meet this year, we had 43 cars (which is a little down), and a few that showed up without cars.
This year we were in Chattanooga TN..

Since our cars keep getting older, we’ve started doing auto-crosses, instead of track days. Auto-crosses are a little easier on the cars, and they are cheaper as well.

We do sometimes during the year setup a track-day for those that want to attend, but it’s separate from our yearly event.

We have in the past invited other groups, or done a dual event, but we’ve had issues with other groups not wanting to ‘do what we do’ and so we’ve found it’s just easier to do our own thing.

I’ve copied the rest of our board of directors on this email, so they can comment if there’s anything I’ve missed.

if there was some common ground found, it could be fun to enjoy mixed company. think how much could be saved on track day..

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

" if there was some common ground found, it could be fun to enjoy mixed company. think how much could be saved on track day..[/QUOTE]"

This was not in his quote that was my final comment..

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Barry is right, at a cost of $650 a car you would turn a lot of people into spectators, maybe an autox is the way to go. Cones aren't very expensive depending on how many you need, and large parking lots are everywhere. Plus an autox course is a lot more forgiving than losing your brakes hauling butt into some corner, especially if some people plan to drive their car to and from the event.

I agree on the Auto x. It is a bit cheaper. If there was some way to make a road course affordable, that would be the best. If anyone has done this in the past, It is the best experience EVER.

Johnny
10-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Our scca autocross autocross club make a few bucks each year by putting on a autocross for a national club get together. We got paid, brought out all the equiptment needed and had about 10 club member volenteers. In turn the volenteers also got to run with what ever car they brought. But the were just fun runs, not counted in the clubs trophies. We used our scca insurance for the event.
Something could be worked out with a local autocross club if there was one in the area.
If it was scca, i could help how with contact and set up...if i knew where it was.

Johnny

Ps. I'd love to autocross the wagon this year.

BadAssPerformance
10-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Our scca autocross autocross club

This is how we have been able to do have AutoX at previous events... we NEED a local SCCA/other organization to run and (more important$ly) insure the event for it to make $ense. We looked into this for SDAC-21 and out of the 5 (yes there are many non branded clubs and several branded organizations that hold autoX around here) we looked into, they all had events the weeks before or after and SDAC weekend was an off week for all and since they have so many events none were interested in hosting a week day event for us, so it didnt pan out... not to mention The Audi club had a 3 day track rental of BFR so we couldn't do that either :(

Bill, teaming up with another club *may* be an option for future events. I think Barry mentioned it already, but for BFR at 14 we teamed up with the Mini's

For either AutoX or teaming up with anyone, we will look at each years plan for the event and see what we can do :thumb:

sdac guy
10-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Teaming up has its drawbacks also. If done it must be done carefully. For example, at SDAC-14 the guy with the Mini's added an extra day to his schedule and allowed our members to run for the same fee he charged his Mini folks. We did not have to pay him up front. In fact, SDAC directed our folks to go to his website to sign up for the track day.

But if we would have gone in with someone to rent that track (50-50), with insurance, our cut would have been about $6500. At BlackHawk Farms for SDAC-14, we only had 12 people run their cars. If we had gone in with someone to rent the track, and only had 12 participants, we would have still taken a huge financial loss. Even if we would have had 20, we would have taken a loss of over $2000 because we would have set the fee (registration fees are set ahead of time) at about $200 each.

As for autocross, did the folks in Chattanooga mention if they bought their own insurance, teamed up with SCCA, or didn't bother to buy insurance because it is so expensive? The reason I ask is that is the thing that keeps us from putting on our own autocross. The cost of insurance for the event runs (last time I checked) about $2500 to $3000 for the day. So if we pay for the insurance and charged $30 per person, we need 100 people to run to break even on the insurance costs alone.

At the last two autocrosses we've held (SDAC's 13 & 20) both times we got the local SCCA folks to plan the event for us and add us onto their insurance rider. With the fees they charge for the use of equipment, and the cost of the parking lot rental, we still lost money on the event both times, not a huge amount, but still a loss. Both times, we only got about 35 folks to run which was not enough to pay for the events.

Johnny, you make it sound so easy to get SCCA cooperation. That might be true in your area, and history for us has shown that in the MD area it can be done. Nearly every year we have sought out the local SCCA folks to see if an autocross could be made possible. Most of the time, they don't even answer our inquiries. But a few times they do open a dialog. We came really close to having an autocross at SDAC-19 in Cincinnati, but in the end when the guys took the event before their local board, it got turned down. We even offered to pay the SCCA guys for their time lost from work ($150-200 each per day), but it still got turned down.

Barry

Force Fed Mopar
10-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Yeah the guys on the Mercedes forum I found that on were talking about needing 40 cars at 500 apiece to do Road Atlanta. Roebling Road is in GA near Savannah, but it is a famous track also and probably going to be similarly expensive. Any of the big famous tracks are gonna be pretty high on rental, regardless of location. That's why I'm looking at the smaller tracks.

I e-mailed CMP last year about track rental for a club for a day, and they said $4500 IIRC. Seems like that would be in the ballpark for the SDAC budget? If you say 3k for insurance, makes 7500 total. 25 people at 300 each, or 50 at 150 each.

168glhs1986
10-30-2011, 02:01 PM
There are not many of us who want or are setup to road race anyway, so although I'd love it to be an SDAC sponsored event, it's just doesn't add up $$ wise.

That doesn't mean the 5 of us who want to road race, can't find a track event within a 5 hour drive for a Monday event. As soon as the event is announced I'll look at the racing calander in the area.

Carroll was a road racer and all of his cars throught the 60's, 70's and 80's were built to go fast around the road course.

It seems like autocrossing is getting a warn reception with the club and could be a viable event. A little less expensive and easier on the cars.

I've been a member of SDAC for 2 short years and have only attended one national event and that was my home state of Maryland. Although I think many first time auto crossers had a good time, I was over-whelmed with the passion for drag racing. This passion along with getting to know Brian is one of the reasons why I bought a set of drag racing slicks and an electronic boost controller. It's the old saying, if you can't beat them, join them attitude and I'm sure I'll have more fun because of it.

Force Fed Mopar
10-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I'm just not much on drag racing, I just do it cause it's cheap and a good way to test cal changes and such. And auto-x just doesn't appeal to me much either, not enough speed :p Besides, people can find an auto-x anywhere, as has been shown. An auto-x at SDAC, big deal. Running on a real road course now, that is a special event that would bring me in a heartbeat. As you say, these cars were designed for the corners, not the dragstrip. I bet Carroll would be more interested in the meet also if that were happening :) Of course, I'm just one guy lol, and I do understand that the club has to go with what the majority wants at least 90% of the time.

My other idea would be to have it close enough to the mountains to have a mountain run incorporated into the meet, make it the Rally Run or whatever is is you guys have been doing. That way, guys like me that want to hit the corners have a chance to, and the others get to have a nice scenic drive with plenty of good photo opportunities. And, it's free and doesn't require any insurance so it won't cost the club anything either. Basically similar to what many of the other sports car forums do every year. Deal's Gap is a great place for this obviously, but there are great roads all the way down the eat coast into Georgia even. And, it's generally cooler up there :)

Maybe an option? I'd be willing to do some legwork to make it happen. I was just on the BRP last weekend with the wife, I can scout routes and parking areas and what not. There are some mountaintop hotels and lodgings too, if that interests anyone.

GLHS069
11-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Are we still guessing, since JT said nobody has guessed it right yet?

To clarify the Detroit guesses earlier, how about Dearborn, MI?

Keito
11-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I hope it's the same Hotel as last time.
Although Dearborn would be much closer to Milan and the road course, and my house.

BadAssPerformance
11-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Are we still guessing, since JT said nobody has guessed it right yet?

To clarify the Detroit guesses earlier, how about Dearborn, MI?

Someone said "Chicago" too, when it was actuallyt "Waukegan" :p

168glhs1986
11-01-2011, 09:32 PM
I looked up Laguna Seca's racetrack schedule for 2012 and it had SDAC listed in June.......and then I woke up.......lol

Shadow
11-01-2011, 10:11 PM
I looked up Laguna Seca's racetrack schedule for 2012 and it had SDAC listed in June.......and then I woke up.......lol

But your on the right track! Now all you have to do is phone every venue in the US and find the one that's booked :eyebrows:

moparjon2007
11-02-2011, 09:20 AM
After hearing that JT was the new HMFIC, I know exacly how good he is at keeping things like this quiet. What we need to do is pump his email box full of articles so he can get the next Up Front out there quickly... Typos, grammer and all

dodgeshadowchik
11-06-2011, 11:16 PM
I vote Miami. ;)

Reaper1
11-07-2011, 02:49 PM
^^Do we get to see DSC in a bikini!? ;)

moparjon2007
11-07-2011, 07:16 PM
It's not so much her in a bikini as it is people in swimsuits.. I don't even want to see me in a suit in this shape..

Reaper1
11-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't think anybody will be paying too much attention to other dudes when she's around! LOL Well..all but the gazers!! LOL

dodgeshadowchik
11-07-2011, 09:30 PM
LOL... there's a large gay crowd in Miami....