PDA

View Full Version : My winter NA car Stumbles when cold and stalls sometimes

kleiner
10-19-2011, 08:19 PM
When I start my car in the morning the idle is rough. I have also noticed the car seems to have a hesitiation when I am stopped and then get on the gas, it hesitates for a sec (Sometimes scary as $hit if I am cutting it close when turning left).
The car also seems to have poorer gas milage. And as soon as I start the car the fan comes on for about 5 seconds, then off, then on then off continuisly.
88 TBi 2.2 horizon
New O2 sensor, Idle speed sensor, Cat,
Cheers

bakes
10-19-2011, 09:07 PM
take a look at the coolant sensor output.

kleiner
10-23-2011, 05:52 PM
OK I unplugged the coolant sensor and the fan comes on plug it back in and it shuts off. I think this works. Pulled the codes and got a 23 (Charge air sensor) and 37 Baro read solenoid.
Symptoms, when I start the car the ac and fan come on then 5 seconds later their off, then on, then off. So I unplugged the ac cause it was driving me nuts.
I have noticed that as soon as I push the defrost button the fan comes on. When I leave it in the off position the fan acts as it should. Crossed wire somewhere?
There were a bunch of melted wires I sorted out on this car a few months ago?

bakes
10-23-2011, 08:46 PM
OK I unplugged the coolant sensor and the fan comes on plug it back in and it shuts off. I think this works. Pulled the codes and got a 23 (Charge air sensor) and 37 Baro read solenoid.
Symptoms, when I start the car the ac and fan come on then 5 seconds later their off, then on, then off. So I unplugged the ac cause it was driving me nuts.
I have noticed that as soon as I push the defrost button the fan comes on. When I leave it in the off position the fan acts as it should. Crossed wire somewhere?
There were a bunch of melted wires I sorted out on this car a few months ago?
NO cross wire the defrost turns the AC on whith turns the fans on normal op.

AngelesRunner
11-11-2011, 04:42 PM
88 TBI has a temp sensor on the front of the TBI on the drivers side. Usual, check connections. continuity. replace if necessary. Check that it has a different reading when you stick it in the freezer from when it is at room temp and different when at about 120 F.

If it is cold it will tell computer to feed more gas. If it thinks hot it will feed less gas. If it is bad the computer is confused and it feels like driveability issues like in your post. Feels like a bad MAP sensor but you can check by unplugging the map sensor and going into limp in mode for a while. Sometimes a bad map sensor will not be bad enough to put a code in the computer but will affect driveability. 89 TBI doesn't have the charge temp sensor.

Disconnect the battery cable for a few minutes to erase all codes (it will set a code 12 when you disconnect) and then start it, run it, shut it off and then read the codes again.

black86glhs
11-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Used to happen on GM TBI cars. I'll bet the charge air sensor is bad. They will read full cold, -44*F and dump fuel. Try replacing that and see if it runs better. With it making the computer think it is cold out, it will dump fuel and this will affect engine vacuum. It could be possible the MAP/BARO sensor is bad too.

kleiner
12-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Ok decided to swith cars, do not have time to fix this one. The other one had a few problems as well. Was low on coolant, and gas milage wasn't so good. Topped up the coolant, unplugged the Aircon so it does not come on anymore for the defrost. As for miles. I took the mags off, put on the skinnies for the winter and the milage is better now.
Thanks for the input everybody.

turbovanmanČ
12-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Ok decided to swith cars, do not have time to fix this one. The other one had a few problems as well. Was low on coolant, and gas milage wasn't so good. Topped up the coolant, unplugged the Aircon so it does not come on anymore for the defrost. As for miles. I took the mags off, put on the skinnies for the winter and the milage is better now.
Thanks for the input everybody.

You don't need to disconnect the a/c, just push the button in, then pull it back.

I would change the tb sensor, probably find your mileage will go up.