PDA

View Full Version : Noisy A543/A523

87turbodance
10-19-2011, 09:13 AM
I have been searching though old threads for an answer but I couldn't find what I wanted. If anyone could point me to an applicable thread that would be appreciated.

I have '90 A543 (A523 with V6 bolt pattern) that pretty noisy. With clutch out I get lot of noise from what I assume is the input shaft bearings. There is also a fair bit of play in the input shaft in/out and side to side - maybe a 1/16". I also have a whine from the diff that changes in pitch as the car changes speed and load. The transmission shifts fine and doesn't seem to have any other issues.

What do I have to do to fix these issues? For the diff I assume new bearings and have it setup with the pinion gear again. For the input shaft, what do I have to do to get it out and replace the bearings? If I have things apart, what else should I do?

I appreciate any help.

135sohc
10-19-2011, 02:08 PM
You need a press and bearing splitter to pull the cones off the input shaft. Along with two race drivers to press the two races out and press the new ones in. Also need to rig something up to get that big @ss nut off the input shaft end.

Diff is a bit more involved. Big bearing splitter and socket will get the cones pulled off but to get the races out of the housings and to aid in setting things up since your probably going to have to remove and install them twice while getting the preload right the proper tool (miller 4518) really shines.

turbovanmanČ
10-19-2011, 02:16 PM
My last trans that did that was in the output shaft bearing.

87turbodance
10-19-2011, 02:33 PM
That Miller tool is pretty pricy at $125 + shipping on ebay. Cheaper then paying a shop though, I guess.

Something like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-PCS-AUTOMOTIVE-GEAR-BEARING-SEPARATOR-SPLITTER-KIT-Removes-gears-pulleys-/220870212061?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr&hash=item336ce3f9dd) work for the input shaft?

What about the output shaft?

135sohc
10-19-2011, 03:18 PM
If your not in a rush to get one keep an eye on ebay and you'll find one for less. I paid $50 shipped for mine.

I have a set similar to that one and its ok. Its a junk tool set none the less but it does the job. It will work for the differential bearings. Use a socket or miller 4996 to give the forcing screw something to push against.