PDA

View Full Version : Water coming out of swingvalve/downpipe connection

Steve in VA
10-18-2011, 03:34 PM
GLHS has been running rough lately, so i parked it for 2 days. Took it out for a spin, white smoke.

Ran compression test = 130 across
plugs clean, no wetness
NO MILKSHAKE IN OIL, (yet anyway)

Radiator way low so I added water until full. Jacked car up with car running belching white smoke.
There is water coming out from where the downpipe donut meets the 3" swingvalve. WTF?:confused:

Called a good turbo guy and he says its NOT the turbo.

Head gasket or cracked head? Either way the tired 10 year old "beat to death" head is coming off.

turbovanmanČ
10-18-2011, 04:09 PM
It could be 3 things-

Cracked head leaking coolant into the port.

Doubt its a head gasket unless its getting into the chamber

Turbo cartridge is cracked, leaking coolant into the exhaust-remove the coolant lines and see if the water stops or the smoke stops, if it does, then you know the turbo is damaged.

onerippinturbo2
10-21-2011, 03:37 PM
there is no way that a cracked turbo center housing will or could leak coolant into the turbine housing and not get any into the oil, the oil galley is in the middle of the housing and the coolant is on the outside of that but doesnt travel as far across the center cartridge as the oil does. if the center housing was cracked(never seen one cracked either) was cracked it would leak coolant externally or it would have to go through the oil galley to get to the turbine housing and swing valve. i'm fairly certain that this is a classic head gasket issue(leaks from water jacket into the cylinder) or a cracked cylinder head.

turbovanmanČ
10-21-2011, 04:54 PM
there is no way that a cracked turbo center housing will or could leak coolant into the turbine housing and not get any into the oil, the oil galley is in the middle of the housing and the coolant is on the outside of that but doesnt travel as far across the center cartridge as the oil does. if the center housing was cracked(never seen one cracked either) was cracked it would leak coolant externally or it would have to go through the oil galley to get to the turbine housing and swing valve. i'm fairly certain that this is a classic head gasket issue(leaks from water jacket into the cylinder) or a cracked cylinder head.

Sorry but you are wrong, been there, got the badge.

onerippinturbo2
10-21-2011, 06:29 PM
i've been told i'm wrong before only to be proven right. show me proof that you can pass water through oil and not have any water get into the crankcase. till then i'll consider myself correct.

turbovanmanČ
10-23-2011, 11:11 PM
i've been told i'm wrong before only to be proven right. show me proof that you can pass water through oil and not have any water get into the crankcase. till then i'll consider myself correct.

Been there, got the badge. Chasing a water in the exhaust system on a turbo Firefly, turbo housing was cracked, leaking water into the exhaust. It happens.

Steve in VA
10-24-2011, 10:07 AM
I'll be pulling the GLHS apart very soon. Seems to be my fleet these past two weeks have been breaking down. I'll be sure to post back in this thread on the issue. I want to thank turbovanman & Ed for your feedback on the water issue. I'll narrow it down for sure.

Steve in VA
01-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Geez, 2+ months later and I finally took the head off. #3 on the headgasket got to the chamber. Simple fix, yeh!

turbovanmanČ
01-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Geez, 2+ months later and I finally took the head off. #3 on the headgasket got to the chamber. Simple fix, yeh!

Glad to hear, that's a nice, simple, cheap fix, :nod:

Abkshelby
01-21-2012, 08:38 PM
While you got it apart you going to put that head back on?
Good time to slam a better one on it.

Steve in VA
01-21-2012, 08:46 PM
While you got it apart you going to put that head back on?
Good time to slam a better one on it.

The GLHS is done. I just took a 700 mile flawless trip in it. My Rampage project though is in need of a good decent fresh valve job CD head. You got one Alan?

Abkshelby
01-22-2012, 09:44 PM
No. I need about 2 of them myself.
Used ones are getting so old that they are wore out it seems.
Trying to find some new heads somewhere now.