PDA

View Full Version : can you go to big when porting an exhaust manifold?

OmniLuvr
10-16-2011, 05:42 PM
obviously im not talking about busting through the casting, or bigger than the size of the opening for the turbo. but i just did a "gasket match" from where the ports enter the manifold, worked the short turn's on #1 and 2, and did alot of work to #3 and 4 (through the ports, and trying to get a straighter shot to the turbo inlet). i really tried to keep the basic "shape" of the ports throughout the runners, and kept the peak (where #4 meets the other cyl's) so that the flow from the other ports dont "collide" with #4. But looking at this manifold now, it looks kind of stupid huge compared to the stock one sitting next to it.

i looked around for some pic's, but didnt really find to much, im going to renew my "membership" soon so i can post pics again (even though i really never did post pics?) but im hoping some people might post pics of there ported exhaust manifolds, and then critique mine when i post pics of mine...

turbovanmanČ
10-16-2011, 05:50 PM
No, with the stocker, you can't go too big.

shadow88
10-16-2011, 09:48 PM
I think too thin would be a greater problem. I'd like to see what work you did. Maybe use photobucket?

OmniLuvr
10-16-2011, 10:04 PM
i took some pics with my droid phone (5mp) and it looks ok, im going to sand blast a stock casting so there is a good comparison. i prob could have spent a little longer on it, and i wish i would have had the longer mandrels (the ones im using including the metal cutting bits were only 2.5" or so long, not the sweet 5" ones) so i really couldnt port down into the 1 and 2 cyl part of the log, but i believe it will be a big improvement. And ya, it looks a little thin on #2 at the bottom of the port, but thats where the gasket lined up and i wanted them to be even, so we will see...

ive ported other stuff before, but all this TD stuff is pretty difficult (well, my like time consuming). i also just finished up on my lower half of a 2 piece, nothing crazy, gasket matched the top to go with my custom upper plenum i made, and welded the outside so i could remove the bumps, but man im pretty burnt out on this right now.

butchsuppe
10-17-2011, 12:57 AM
Hey Scotty, how you been ? if you're work on a 782 head, this may help...http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/8v_782_head_cut_away There's 2 walls that are pretty thin.

OmniLuvr
10-17-2011, 08:01 PM
just trying to get a car back on the road, its been pretty difficult with my broken wrist, roomates selling my car, job changes, surgery on my wrist, and way to long to recover :( but looks like il be getting my new $100 87 shelby charger on the road again by the weekend :)

and ive used those pics multiple times, for the g head also, but right now im just porting manifolds :)