PDA

View Full Version : TIII Cracked Exhaust Manifold

Turbo224
10-15-2011, 09:48 PM
So i have been trying to track down a power loss issue on the R/T and noticed that my exhaust manifold seems to be cracked around the egt probe. The picture doesn't show it very well, but there are two more crackes coming off the back side of the probe as well. Has anyone else had a problem with manifolds cracking? You guy think this was caused because the area around the bung was weakened when the hole was drilled? Im not really sure when this happened, but it looks like im going to have to pull it off and have it welded again.

I had to add the last two pictures because it just looked so damn good after I washed it today. :)

turbovanmanČ
10-16-2011, 01:19 AM
Most likely wasn't welded properly and why weld a bung in? Simply drill and tap 1/8 pipe thread.

I would replace the manifold and put the probe over at the collector for a more accurate read.

Turbo224
10-17-2011, 05:41 PM
No one else has had this problem?

86Shelby
10-17-2011, 06:03 PM
I haven't had any issues with mine, it's very close to the same place. That sucks that's cracked.

tsiconquest88
10-17-2011, 10:36 PM
i had 2 with egt probes and no cracks. Both i ended up drilling larger with a larger coarse head bolt for a plug to block them off and still no cracks. I havent heard of anyone else either. I thinks its the bung being welded there. As Simon said, shoulda been drilled and tapped to the npt thread the egt probe called for. Would not have cracked.

Pat
10-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Never had that issue.

Turbo224
10-18-2011, 12:37 AM
i had 2 with egt probes and no cracks. Both i ended up drilling larger with a larger coarse head bolt for a plug to block them off and still no cracks. I havent heard of anyone else either. I thinks its the bung being welded there. As Simon said, shoulda been drilled and tapped to the npt thread the egt probe called for. Would not have cracked.

Hmm, the egt kit came with bung. I guess I'll leave it off next time when I redo it.

440dart
10-21-2011, 06:25 PM
I should be putting a header on mine in the next few weeks make me a offer on my stocker?? of course if you need one

tsiconquest88
10-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Hmm, the egt kit came with bung. I guess I'll leave it off next time when I redo it.

Yea point is, it cracked because of that piece of steel bung being welded to cast iron in such a small area. We all drill and tap threads into the mani and screw the probe into it direct is what we are saying. That bung would be fine in a mani/header that was steel. Stainless steel idk, im no welding guru lol. Either way you can go wrong with drill/tap direct for the probe and not using the bung.