PDA

View Full Version : 86 glhs drag info

xirocrtx
10-11-2011, 11:23 PM
I purchased 86 glhs #401 and last sunday took it to the strip. the body of the car is rough but the motor runs out strong. I squeezed a 14.8 with it and a friend was talking about the NHRA stock eliminator class racing. He suggested I find out some info on what class this car would fall under and what kind of times they expect. Does anyone know where I could get more info? I have searched all over and if I am reading everything correct I would fall into AAF/S class. is this right? Never officially drag raced until sunday and fell in love! I won 1st in sport compact class and brought home a trophy and $200! I want to persue the sport a little more and at least find out more info on this stock eliminator class. I do have a line to draw with time and money but I guess it dosent hurt to do a little research! Thanks everyone!

Directconnection
10-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Awesome! How stock is the car? Bone stock? 12psi?

xirocrtx
10-12-2011, 11:16 AM
140k on the factory motor. relentless cal computer with about 14 psi. I figure the extra boost compensates for a old tired motor! lol! otherwise all stock, full interior, new street kumho tires. I plan on a re-body for this car during winter if I could find a solid omni close and cheap! nothing too fancy because I want my R/T back on the road and keep that for a show car and play with a sohc motor for fun and drag. I heard of a guy that reprogrammed a stock csx and was hitting 12 sec. quarters. is that possible? he said 18 psi too.

mock_glh
10-12-2011, 12:33 PM
ShellGame is well involved in NHRA stock eliminator with his Daytona. Look for his input.

Directconnection
10-12-2011, 07:59 PM
140k on the factory motor. relentless cal computer with about 14 psi. I figure the extra boost compensates for a old tired motor! lol! otherwise all stock, full interior, new street kumho tires. I plan on a re-body for this car during winter if I could find a solid omni close and cheap! nothing too fancy because I want my R/T back on the road and keep that for a show car and play with a sohc motor for fun and drag. I heard of a guy that reprogrammed a stock csx and was hitting 12 sec. quarters. is that possible? he said 18 psi too.

You can't kill a REAL Shelby car no matter how bad it is. Is it really an '86 GLHS (Holy grail of TM's) or a GLHT?

xirocrtx
10-13-2011, 09:31 AM
GLHS #401. its really bad with the rust. I plan on swapping everything out onto the doner car. dash, vin, motor, suspention, etc. there is no fixing what I have here but it does run and drive really well. I found a 81 omni with the VW motor. do you think this will work for a doner car?

rich tideswell
10-16-2011, 07:49 PM
GLHS #401. its really bad with the rust. I plan on swapping everything out onto the doner car. dash, vin, motor, suspention, etc. there is no fixing what I have here but it does run and drive really well. I found a 81 omni with the VW motor. do you think this will work for a doner car?

.......I'll spare you the soap box preaching of what you're doing is essentially re-bodying a car by swapping VIN plates and how it's illegal ......... and just be thankful one is being saved instead of scrapped.........

I think that will work, but I don't know the in's-n-out's out year over year l-body frame changes. A clean 86 is your safest bet. It will have proper date code stampings in the panels.

glhs496
11-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Drag racing is fun. Unfortunately, unless you are gentle with the original transmission (525) it will break. The best easiest remedy to perserve it is to install a chromoly bearing retainer plate. The stock steel plate bends and the intermiate shaft and input shaft don't line up properly. You can look up the particulars on this site. I blew three 525's under warranty power shifting at the drags. I was 21, so of course I had to power shift...... The mechanic at Dodge showed me my input shaft in two pieces and suggested I lift in between shifts. I thought he was crazy.

xirocrtx
10-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Sorry to bring up the antique post here, but I'm finally getting close on the glhs stated above. I bought the 81 omni and there was a few differences. We overcame all if them and now the car is painted and we are cleaning and swapping over all the parts. When we did disassemble the original glhs car, there was no frame left. Under the drivers feet was carpet and brake lines. Looking back, the car should have never been raced. I am doing more research on the stock eliminator plan and I'm extremely confused... Does anyone know how to break the car down to its natural class and what minimum weight I can be? I have pictures also but don't know how to post.