PDA

View Full Version : 89 mini harness in a 86 lancer?

Bardo
10-11-2011, 05:46 PM
has anyone done this? i have a mini harness laying around thats uncut and was thinking about repining it to put it in my 86 lancer. i have the pinout for the van bulkhead just need one for the 86 lancer. if you have done this any tips would be great.
Thanks.
AJ

Bardo
10-15-2011, 04:46 PM
bump?

RoadWarrior222
10-15-2011, 06:50 PM
IMO you'd be better off converting the Lancer to '89 'lectrics with it, but then you'd need an '89 SMEC and stuff...

Bardo
10-15-2011, 08:00 PM
i have all that stuff i just need to know how to put the 89 stuff in a 86 lancer.

rbryant
10-17-2011, 05:26 PM
It should work with very few changes.

I would have to look but the main functions in all of the 50 pin bulkheads were the same but some of the extras like coolant level, etc etc varied from model to model depending on the features that the cars had.

BTW there are some 88 lancer SMEC harnesses out there that should be direct plug ins for you. They actually had a firewall connection with male pins where the 89 cars usually moved the connector inside the car under the dash.

I actually have one in a box somewhere if your minivan harness gives you trouble.

-Rich

Bardo
10-18-2011, 05:34 AM
both the engine harness from the lancer and the mini have male ends on them so all i need is the pin out for the lancer engine harness so i can make changes to the mini harness to get it running.

rbryant
10-18-2011, 02:17 PM
both the engine harness from the lancer and the mini have male ends on them so all i need is the pin out for the lancer engine harness so i can make changes to the mini harness to get it running.

The main function wires should be exactly the same for all of the 50 pin bulkheads. To get things started just remove things like the wires for extra sensors for coolant level, cruise control, etc. There are several bulkheads that have been posted. I have FSMs for 86 and 89 at home so perhaps sometime this week I can take a couple of quick pictures and post them.

We should probably setup a KC article that has most of the variants in one place.

-Rich

Bardo
10-18-2011, 02:21 PM
That would be a huge help and a great idea.