PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the carpet..

Una
07-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Anyone replace the carpet in their TD with new carpet? I was considering buying a replacement carpet for my GLHS. The floor of the driver's side is severly stained, almost looks like the car was in a flood or something. Carpet is more brown than grey. Was looking at the molded carpet they sell on JCWhitney.com.. $169, but the only review of the stuff just rips it a new one saying that it's absolute junk. So anyone here used it with good success, or got a better place to buy from? I don't mind spending more to get it right the first time. There are alot of things I don't mind doing two or three times to get right.. But carpet isn't one of them. ;)

Speedeuphoria
07-21-2006, 10:31 PM
I know someone has gotten aftermarket carpet and was very pleases but I forgot where it was from I think it was Kevin (GLHS592) not positive

dodge89shelby
07-25-2006, 10:06 PM
i did it in my 89daytona. it really wasnt as hard as i though it would be. it would have only taken an afternoon but i got side traked and did some MASSIVE cleaning while it was up. i also took that opertunity to run my wires for my subs ect, under teh carpet another route than by the lower door jam seal. i can take some pics if youd like
i got mine form napa. if fit nicely. if i had it to do again i would have let teh new set out over night to gain its shape. it may have maid it slightly easier. but in a 1 to 10 scale. (10 being the hybrid motor im building) it would be like a 3. and that is mainly b/c i just had my car painted and i am super worried about nicks, dings,,, you get the pic!

Una
07-25-2006, 10:09 PM
hahaha.. I like that scale of 1 to 10.. Thanks for the feedback.. I'll go ahead and do that.. Too bad this is a numbered car.. I'd sure love to make the interior all back.. ;)

GLHS592
07-25-2006, 10:10 PM
www.accmats.com

Great product. How it works? You send them a sample of your carpet. They send 3 of their closest matches. You choose the best of the 3. Get your sample from somewhere that would be out of the sun. I got mine from under the front edge of the rear seat.

I like the carpet much better than the stock carpet. It isn't a perfect match for the resto, if that is what you are aiming for. It is lighter than the stock carpet because it doesn't have that heavy rubber backing.

Una
07-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Nah, doesn't have to be a perfect match.. The car has a true T2 motor in it now, as well as a 555.. But still has the rod shifter.. I'm selectively upgrading things in the spirit of the original Shelby upgrades.. :) I think the carpet will be a far closer match than the nasty brownness that's in there now.

dodge89shelby
07-26-2006, 07:56 AM
i think i might have said it before, but i just got mine from napa. i think that it was around $135. but i didnt get any carpet for samples. i just had t guess by what was in the book. but id do it again to get rid or what i had in a heart beat.

WVRampage
07-26-2006, 12:10 PM
I did the carpet in my rampage after replacing the floor and it turned out nice.I think the place was carpet direct or something like that just do a serch on google and you will find a few places.

rare_ram
07-26-2006, 01:32 PM
www.automotiveinteriors.com

PTT
08-26-2006, 10:29 PM
I just re-carpeted my 91 Shadow ragtop. I used a company on EBAY called 1A AUTO in New England area. They farmed/outsourced my order for the molded Dove Gray carpeting out to Auto Custom Carpet in Alabama. The original ad in EBAY stores stated cutouts included. That was the selling point for my purchase. The carpet didn't have cutouts and wasnt very well molded either. I had already committed and had the installer paid for. It took 3 hours more labor to do the cutouts properly and he did not milk the labor charges either because I was hang over his shoulder. He earned the extra charges but that doesnt help me does it? The extra labor cost me more than the original cost of the carpeting plus the original install! I essentially spent more than $200 a sq. yd for 2 sq. yds. of gray rug! I could have done my livingroom AND diningroom for that much money! So just because the ad says you get cutouts you best beware. They havent responded to my email yet either. Why am I not surprised by this? :mad:

BadAssPerformance
08-26-2006, 10:38 PM
ACC was a direct match to the Dove grey in my Z :thumb:

inmyshadow
08-27-2006, 12:08 AM
This is messed up. I called A1 Auto earlier in the year about a convertible shadow carpet. They told me they couldn't get any. How did you pay for the carpet?

I just replaced my crappy carpet with one out of a 87000 mile shadow convertible.

I just re-carpeted my 91 Shadow ragtop. I used a company on EBAY called 1A AUTO in New England area. They farmed/outsourced my order for the molded Dove Gray carpeting out to Auto Custom Carpet in Alabama. The original ad in EBAY stores stated cutouts included. That was the selling point for my purchase. The carpet didn't have cutouts and wasnt very well molded either. I had already committed and had the installer paid for. It took 3 hours more labor to do the cutouts properly and he did not milk the labor charges either because I was hang over his shoulder. He earned the extra charges but that doesnt help me does it? The extra labor cost me more than the original cost of the carpeting plus the original install! I essentially spent more than $200 a sq. yd for 2 sq. yds. of gray rug! I could have done my livingroom AND diningroom for that much money! So just because the ad says you get cutouts you best beware. They havent responded to my email yet either. Why am I not surprised by this? :mad:

Clay
08-27-2006, 09:51 AM
James,

just use ACC carpet, thats who almost every vendor gets theirs from anyway. I bought my carpet through an ACC vendor: http://www.auto-interior.com/

They were the cheapest I could find at the time for my GLHT. Now, ACC has an optional heavy backing which costs like another $60, but this makes it very similar to the factory carpet, so you might want to take that into consideration.

clay

inmyshadow
08-27-2006, 11:49 AM
The problem with shadow convertibles? I can't use a regular shadow carpet. The frame rail reinforcements are inside and outside of the car.

If you look at a regular shadow, where the hatch release is, the convertible is all reinforcement there. So no trunk release

James,

just use ACC carpet, thats who almost every vendor gets theirs from anyway. I bought my carpet through an ACC vendor: http://www.auto-interior.com/

They were the cheapest I could find at the time for my GLHT. Now, ACC has an optional heavy backing which costs like another $60, but this makes it very similar to the factory carpet, so you might want to take that into consideration.

clay

Clay
08-27-2006, 11:55 AM
The problem with shadow convertibles? I can't use a regular shadow carpet. The frame rail reinforcements are inside and outside of the car.

If you look at a regular shadow, where the hatch release is, the convertible is all reinforcement there. So no trunk release

ok, didn't know that. Know this carpet does not come cut out for seats, or seat belts, consoles, etc, so could you buy regular shadow carpet and cut it to fit?

PTT
08-30-2006, 12:01 PM
This is messed up. I called A1 Auto earlier in the year about a convertible shadow carpet. They told me they couldn't get any. How did you pay for the carpet?

I just replaced my crappy carpet with one out of a 87000 mile shadow convertible.

As posted I went through 1A AUTO's EBAY store and they farmed it out to Auto Custom Carpet in Alabama. 1A AUTO advertised cutouts (a major consideration unless you want the hassle of doing it yourself or paying to have it done). It is a very near match to the factory color. The premolded fittment is so-so but does look OK. Box came marked "custom cut-no return". I payed with a US Postal Money Order. I do not recommend this company at all. It's hard to swallow almost $400 when you're not getting cutouts for less than 2 square yards of gray rug!!!! Like I stated I could have done my living room and hall for that if I were doing the install myself! and with better quality materials too!!!! R-I-P-O-F-F

gvare001
08-30-2006, 12:06 PM
The carpet I ordered for my SC was also a big disappointment.

MiniMopar
08-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I've bought a couple of those carpets from various places (one out of JC Whitney and the other from A1 or 1A or something). They were all the same in the end, so it makes sense that it's really one company doing it. The quality is "fair" (use floormats) and the fitment is "OK".

When you do cut it, leave about 1/2" - 1" more around the edges than you think you'll need, especially if you don't use any carpet padding. The carpet will sort of "settle" over time and will pull the slack from the edges. I cut the carpet in my CSX exactly to the stock carpet and after a year or so there wasn't enough extra to keep it from pulling out of the kick panel trim. I wasn't real happy with the color ("charcoal"...it's too green), so I'm going to replace it again down the road.

CSX321
08-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Timely! I just sent a sample from my '89 CSX to ACC today. I expect the closest match will be their "807 Dark Gray" color. To get the extra heavy backing, do you order directly from ACC?

BadAssPerformance
08-30-2006, 01:23 PM
Timely! I just sent a sample from my '89 CSX to ACC today. I expect the closest match will be their "807 Dark Gray" color. To get the extra heavy backing, do you order directly from ACC?

I got mine straight from ACC... shop around, may be cheaper elsewhere.

I didnt want the extra heavy backing ;)

ShelbyZD
08-30-2006, 01:31 PM
ACC was a direct match to the Dove grey in my Z :thumb:

Thanks! I needed to know that. :dancingbana: