PDA

View Full Version : Help wiring up a latching LED switch.

turbovanmanČ
10-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Yeah, I know, should be cake, :banghead: I want the LED to come on when the button is pressed. It has 4 contacts, 2 for the switching device, 2 for the LED. So, I am switching a relay and a soleniod, so I hooked the LED + to power, then put the LED - to the device side of the relay and solenoid and ground the ground sides for the devices as normal, well the LED lights full time so what am I doing wrong.

This is the diagram of the switch's. I have the latching 19mm units.

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae101/Performance-World/LEDInstructions.jpg

zin
10-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I know, should be cake, :banghead: I want the LED to come on when the button is pressed. It has 4 contacts, 2 for the switching device, 2 for the LED. So, I am switching a relay and a solenoid, so I hooked the LED + to power, then put the LED - to the device side of the relay and solenoid and ground the ground sides for the devices as normal, well the LED lights full time so what am I doing wrong.

If the solenoid is seeing power all the time, and you want the light on while it is engaged, you should be able to connect the + lead of the LED to the power side of the solenoid and the other to a ground and it will light as long as the power is present. If you want it to be on when the solenoid is off, connect the + side of the LED to power (keyed power of course) and the other (-) side to the grounding wire. When current is flowing to ground, it should kill the flow through the LED and put it out. It is possible that a resistor may be needed, but it doesn't look like it.

If you want it to be on and stay on with a momentary actuation of the solenoid, you'll need a latching relay, which can be built from two standard Bosch 5pin relays, if you need that I can post a diagram showing how to wire them...

Mike

PS just in case the terms "open and closed" are the point of confusion, open simply means those contacts are disconnected when the button is not pressed and normally closed means they are connected when the button is not pressed.

turbovanmanČ
10-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Ok, the LU one will work using +, but for the rad, I am simply ground the relay, so that what is now pissing me off, lol.