PDA

View Full Version : Question about cluster bulb type....

tsiconquest88
10-05-2011, 09:05 PM
I was going through the knowledge center and seen the post about going LED. I just ordered a 194 to put in place of my stock bulb for the CEL for my spirit. However though the post links and says 194 arent the bulbs in our cluster twist lock? I just ordered and it hit me so i figured i would ask this as i thought i remembered my 89 t1 mini being twist lock bulbs the one time i had the cluster out? Trying to get info asap on this so i can change my order if so before its sent out to me tomorrow lol. Since its late now and being i just ordered im not going out to pull that whole thing apart to check lol.

turbovanmanČ
10-05-2011, 09:21 PM
194 is the correct bulb, they pop out of the twist lock holder.

tsiconquest88
10-05-2011, 09:43 PM
ah ok cool. Cus some twist locks have the bulb wired in and its not a 194 and some twist lock have much smaller bulbs than 194. So i just wanted to make sure.

moparman76_69
10-05-2011, 10:19 PM
what color did you get? I found a "warm white" bulb that mimics the color of the incandescent 194 bulb to give you factory color.

tsiconquest88
10-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Whoops. Red. i hope i didnt F myself lol. I thought it might shine the brightest and most noticeable. BUT what you said makes good sense and forgetting there is the color plate that makes the stock white bulb glow orange! So now im going to see purple or some whacky color lol. I will see what i can do to make the orange clear with some kind of chemical to get the coor backing off. Or an luck its just a tinted plate that i can pop off and leave off and it will be clear. Idk soemthing lol. I have done some nice stuff witgh gauge clusters with other cars of mine im sure i can do wonders with this one lol.

moparman76_69
10-06-2011, 07:35 AM
The backing is blue and its a film on the back of the gauges themselves. The mix of the yellowish light and the blue film makes the subdued green color of the factory lighting. Most white leds show blue because they are a true white light. With the red it will be a reddish purple I'd assume. I didn't try and remove the film since I was using blue leds anyway.

tsiconquest88
10-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Its for my CEL as stated, Just using one led for that spot as per the writeup on the KC. I have the CEL flash in my cal for knock and the LED reacts quicker than the conventional bulb as the writeup states so i figure i would go for it. My CEL is orange so thats where im saying the white LED would have been better as you said above.

turbovanmanČ
10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
I put the uber bright white LED 194's in, its very noticeable but I also notice it makes the CEL flicker at weird times, guess its the fact it doesn't draw enough current. The flash feature still works though, :nod:

I also put one in my Autometer boost gauge with the green cover, its awesome, can actually see my boost at night, lol.

moparman76_69
10-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Its for my CEL as stated, Just using one led for that spot as per the writeup on the KC. I have the CEL flash in my cal for knock and the LED reacts quicker than the conventional bulb as the writeup states so i figure i would go for it. My CEL is orange so thats where im saying the white LED would have been better as you said above.

Yeah I didn't read that thoroughly.

tsiconquest88
10-06-2011, 06:40 PM
yea no prob i was just letting you know. But i do appreciate your info and your right. I will just see what im against when i get to taking the cluster out. I will make the red (and only red with no color clash) work right one way or another haha.

moparman76_69
10-06-2011, 06:42 PM
If its just for the CEL then the film is red so it will just me a different shade of red compared to the factory.

tsiconquest88
10-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Oh yea i was thinkin my CEL is orange lol.

zin
10-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Glad to hear this info made it to the KC, I haven't looked in there in a long time as most of the good info hadn't made to the new format... Hope that has/is changing!

Mike