PDA

View Full Version : Leaving a cut-out partially open. Good or bad?

turbovanmanČ
10-05-2011, 02:43 PM
I just installed my cut-out and left it slightly open by accident, well as it turns out, it reduces the drone a ton, and actually quietens down the rest of the exhaust, so my question is, will it cause the bore and plate to wear out over time? Its a QTP 3.5" oval unit.

roachjuice
10-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Why would this hurt anything?

turbovanmanČ
10-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Why would this hurt anything?

Exhaust gas is corrosive, hence having a small opening to travel thru and being aluminium based, it could errode over time.

roachjuice
10-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Exhaust gas is corrosive, hence having a small opening to travel thru and being aluminium based, it could errode over time.

Dude. You think too much.

moparman76_69
10-05-2011, 06:51 PM

Wouldn't it corrode whether or not it is opened or close then?

RoadWarrior222
10-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Exhaust gas is corrosive, hence having a small opening to travel thru and being aluminium based, it could errode over time.Well no biggie then, just remember to swap it out with your head or turbine housings that fail from acidic erosion.... every 25 years or 500,000 miles, whichever comes first.

roachjuice
10-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Well no biggie then, just remember to swap it out with your head or turbine housings that fail from acidic erosion.... every 25 years or 500,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Lolz!!!!

moparman76_69
10-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Well no biggie then, just remember to swap it out with your head or turbine housings that fail from acidic erosion.... every 25 years or 500,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Turbine housing is cast iron. The head is a good point and I'm sure it is in a more corrosive environment than something way downstream in the exhaust.

Why are we debating such a stupid question anyway?

turbovanmanČ
10-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Exhaust gas is more corrosive down stream as it cools down. Turbines are cast so you can't even compare.

Why is it a stupid question? Guess your exhaust never rots out from the inside out?

RoadWarrior222
10-05-2011, 10:17 PM
'coz he wants to justify gassing his kids idling in traffic, just as long as it won't cost him in wear and tear.

moparman76_69
Ok so even when its closed the AL is exposed to the exhaust so its going to corrode regardless of if you leave it open or closed.

86Shelby
I think you have a valid point Simon, it could cause issues down the road. I would think that simple corrosion would be the biggest enemy of it and cause it to not close all the way, or not open if it gets bad enough. I would like to think that if you keep moving it open to close now and again that would help keep things freely moving.

RoadWarrior222
10-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Exhaust gas is more corrosive down stream as it cools down.

Well it's more that the vapor condenses on the colder parts further away and stays there after the vehicle is shut off.... then doesn't get driven off, only added to if the next trip is under half an hour or so.... I tend to notice the front half of an exhaust system rots from the outside in, the back half rots from the inside out.

zin
10-06-2011, 05:39 PM

The heads have Iron based seats, as is the turbine housing, otherwise there would be no need for the valve seats in AL heads, as is the case with iron heads, and even those need to be induction hardened or have seats of a more durable material installed. Granted the pressure and heat should be less at the cut-out, but Simon is wise to have concerns, I personally wouldn't run it leaky, really don't see the point in that and it very easily could have a down side in the wear and tear department...

Mike

Murphy
10-06-2011, 06:57 PM
'coz he wants to justify gassing his kids idling in traffic, just as long as it won't cost him in wear and tear.

I'd be much more worried about those exhaust fumes in the cab than the wear on the cutout

zin
10-06-2011, 07:56 PM
I'd be much more worried about those exhaust fumes in the cab than the wear on the cutout

Very good point!

RoadWarrior222
10-06-2011, 08:23 PM
The heads have Iron based seats, as is the turbine housing, otherwise there would be no need for the valve seats in AL heads,

They just put them in the intake side so it looks even I guess, nothing to do with the actual valve pounding them... and plain iron heads have needed hardened seats since the demise of leaded gas.

turbovanmanČ
10-07-2011, 02:08 AM
They just put them in the intake side so it looks even I guess, nothing to do with the actual valve pounding them... and plain iron heads have needed hardened seats since the demise of leaded gas.

He said AL heads.

As for neededing seats due to valve pounding, hello, McFly, of course you need valve seats, without lead in the fuel, the valve pounds the head into oblivion, hence why all cast iron heads now have valve seats.

RoadWarrior222
10-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Yah, I was being sarcastic as he seemed to be implying that the sole reason for needing valve seats was the exhaust gas.

turbovanmanČ
10-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Yah, I was being sarcastic as he seemed to be implying that the sole reason for needing valve seats was the exhaust gas.

The gas and heat does cause pitting, ;)

tkelly27
10-16-2011, 11:43 AM
I've been leaving mine open for a while now. I like the sound a lot. It still works the same as it did months ago. Make sure you have a side pipe for the cut out. Even the little bit it cracked open gave me nappy time feelings on longer drives.