PDA

View Full Version : TIII i shaft bearing installed backwards

GLHX
09-30-2011, 05:02 PM
the front i shaft bearing has a slot that comes from the oil hole and goes to the edge of the bearing.....my guess is that it helps channel oil back to the inside of the block........my machine shop guy put it in facing the seal retainer............will this be ok? The fsm doesnt specify......if not ,can i punch the bearing back out and put it back in or should i just replace it .................i can post pictures if needed

135sohc
09-30-2011, 10:52 PM
If you replace it I would use a new one. Especially if your using anything but the seamless durabond bearing.

turbovanmanČ
10-01-2011, 01:26 AM
I don't think it will be an issue, I think that's how I installed mine. I can look at a block of mine tomorrow.

Agreed if you punch it out don't reuse it.

tsiconquest88
10-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Isnt the bearong oil hole right in the middle of the bearing? Mine was on my durabond bearing. You just had to line the oil hole of the bearing to the block. It wasnt further to one side than the other on the bearing surface as it seems your saying.

GLHX
10-05-2011, 03:54 PM
the line coming from the oil hole is pointed towards the seal retainer and not back into the block

135sohc
10-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Thats how mine was installed. I've gotten maybe 2hours of run time on my engine (massive oil leakage problems) but that was one spot that didnt leak or show wear issues. The thrust surface has its own oiling hole but I think that slot is there to help direct the bleed off from the bearing and onto the thrust surfaces as well ?

GLHX
10-06-2011, 05:52 PM
never thought about the slot feeding the thrust surfaces.....that could make sense.....i think im just going to leave it there the way it is

tsiconquest88
10-06-2011, 06:54 PM
I dont remember anything about a slot on mine. mighta been there but i dont remember. Either direction its going to send oil to the pan. The slot is not to feed anything. The hole is for that. The slot is a mere return so to speak.

daver
10-06-2011, 10:18 PM
I've used the Clevite bearing set on a few motors and they didn't have a slot in the bearing, just the feed hole.

Could kinda see the slot could be used to direct oil to the thrust surface, not sure if the thrust surface would need any additional oiling though. Can't say I've ever seen any significant wear on the shaft or block in that area, just sometimes on the block-side of the aluminum I-shaft retaining plate.

Could also however see the slot being intended to help return oil from the bearing surface and away from the oil seal to help prevent leaks, but I don't recall if any of the factory bearings I've removed have had the slot or not, but I know the Clevite sets I've installed did not.

Edit: Actually I would think the slot would reduce the volume or pressure of the oil on the actual bearing surface... at least on the T3's which seem to have wear issues with that bearing I think that would be the opposite of what I would want.

marcus5065
11-09-2011, 04:07 PM
I just replaced the i shaft bearing in my tIII. It had the original mopar bearing in it from 166K km's ago...the slot was facing the seal retainer. My theory is that the slot is intended to provide lubrication/pressure in between the retainer and the i shaft. i have some pics, but i guess i can't make attachments?

turbovanmanČ
11-09-2011, 04:42 PM
I just replaced the i shaft bearing in my tIII. It had the original mopar bearing in it from 166K km's ago...the slot was facing the seal retainer. My theory is that the slot is intended to provide lubrication/pressure in between the retainer and the i shaft. i have some pics, but i guess i can't make attachments?

Link from a photo hosting site, IE photobucket.

marcus5065
11-10-2011, 02:38 AM
heres the link to the engine pics:

http://photobucket.com/Engine_Pics

Notice the damage is on the outer edge facing the i Shaft pulley, which is also the direction the oil groove was pointed...

turbovanmanČ
11-10-2011, 04:10 AM
That seems to be common for the TIII motor, our TIII guru feels its caused by incorrect belt tension and the harmonics of the belt as he feels the idler pulley is on the wrong side.

marcus5065
11-10-2011, 10:41 AM
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f40/376297-my-tiii-eh.html

I know its the other site, but youll see why when you look, if you do. Cheers!