PDA

View Full Version : Neon cam swap questions

cordes
09-30-2011, 03:27 PM
I pulled a 95 cam out of a car in the yard and would like to put it in my car.

Will I need to replace the rubber deals on the tubes for the spark plugs? It seemed like the ones on the car at the yard broke when I pulled the cover, but perhaps they're supposed to be that way?

The VC gasket isn't reusable right?

The valve train is super duper noisy on cold start up. Is it the rocker arm things, or something else? I pulled the ones in the yard and they look good. IIRC the car had 147K on it.

Finally, is there anything else I should do while I'm in there?

contraption22
09-30-2011, 03:36 PM
I dunno about the SOHCs, but the FelPro gasket kit for the DOHC's come with the spark plug tube seals.

Are you sure the noise on cold start up is top end noise and not bottom end? High mileage Neons can develop piston slap.

cordes
09-30-2011, 03:41 PM
I dunno about the SOHCs, but the FelPro gasket kit for the DOHC's come with the spark plug tube seals.

Are you sure the noise on cold start up is top end noise and not bottom end? High mileage Neons can develop piston slap.

I'm not positive, but it sure sounds like it's cam related. I'm not all that concerned about it due to the fact that it would have failed by now if the problem were terminal. It would be nice to have a more quiet ride though.